Taylor Acoustic Options?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by 8len8, Apr 22, 2015.

1. 8len8

8len8 Member

I've got a Martin 000C-16RGTEA but just haven't bonded with it after all these years. I mainly play electric, and hear Taylors might have a better feel for me. I'm interested in what Taylor options might be best if I'm looking for this:

- <$1500 new
    - Expression 2 electronics (I don't read too much good about the original Expression electronics)
    - Grand concert body (auditorium might be too large for me)
    - Something comfortable playing with a strap standing up

Any opinions?

2. mischultz

mischultz Member

You're pretty well locked into a used/recent 312 or 412. Double check the auditorium/14 body though. Dimensionally very close to the Martin OM. That will open up the field.

3. 61Ephramite

61Ephramite Supporting Member

Definitely check out the Grand Auditoriums, I really doubt they will be too large. That model is Taylor's best selling size. The latest Expression system utilizes piezo designs in a vertical set up as opposed to lying under the saddle. The result is a natural sound without the overly compressed quack of previous types.

As for price, $1500.00 can buy a lot of Taylor if you shop around. There are places besides your big box stores that can offer a much better deal than MAP pricing. Go to Wintersound.com, call Jim and tell him Barry sent you. He sells Taylors and Martins and can give you great advice on what model and tone woods you might be looking for.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Gotta go used. With patience, a 400 should be in the budget.

I am actually just starting to like my v1 expression on my 410. At first, I thought it was midrange-y, but now I realize it is voiced very well to stand on its own in a dense mix.

5. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

FWIW, I recently got a 214CE that I couldn't be happier with.

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

Ok, if I go with a grand auditorium size what would my options be?

7. 8TrackJoe

8TrackJoe Member

The new 214ce Deluxe has the Expression 2 system, which puts it in the price range that you are looking at. The next step up is the 314e which Sam Ash has for a little above your range. The next option would be the 312e which Sam Ash has for the same price as the 314. I have a 214ce and I've played around with a 312ce. The smaller body of the 312 felt really nice to me. The next step up is the 412/414 which kicks the price up another $500 or so.

8. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I have an 814ce and a 514ce. If I was going to buy another I'd get the 314ce and be done. ;) It's the "just right" Taylor...as much as Acoustic's vary to me...I don't think I've every picked up a 314ce that wasn't really good. :)

9. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Don't believe all of what you read about the Fishman vs ES1 vs ES2 guitars. There is a different sound between the ES1 and ES2, and you will likely have a preference. You need to hear both to know- I prefer the ES1 by a large margin personally, although I do prefer the ES2 over most piezo systems out there... Still, es1 for me.

You'd be looking at a used 312/314 at that price, maybe a 412/414 if you are very patient.

Finding used guitars with the ES2 is going to be challenging as hey haven't shipped on the 300 and 400 series for very long.

I wouldn't spend the cash on the 200 series personally, the step up to the 300 series is worth every penny. Look at the 314ce or 312ce, those would likely be the right guitars for you... I am a 414ce guy personally and I love how it plays and sits in the mix live.

10. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I agree about stepping up to the 300 series for the solid wood back&sides.
    Can you describe what you like about the ES v1 vs v2? I also prefer it, but thought I was in a severe minority.

11. 8len8

8len8 Member

I heard the 200 series is the cheaper one made in Mexico? Besides possible quality consistence issues would the 200 have worse tone than the 300?

12. royd

royd Member

the 200 series has laminated sides and back (plywood) vs. solid woods in the 300 and up series. Also depending on the 200 model you may be getting just an old fashioned under-saddle-transducer pickup system (which you may or may not prefer). The 200 deluxe models have the ES2 for about $200 more than the regular model with the UST. Construction techniques would be exactly the same with the 200's being built in Mexico and the 300's and up being built 70 miles north, outside of San Diego. Indeed, construction techniques would be exactly the same on all Taylor models. They are all built on assembly lines. Taylor's quality control and consistency is among the best in the business across the line. So, the big difference is the materials and the pickups.

I agree with the advice above, look for a 300 or 400 series, likely used in your price range. Personally, I don't dislike the ES1 pickups. I do sound at a small acoustic series and have mixed guitars with almost every pickup system out there. The ES1 is never the best sounding system but it is also never the worst IME. It also works extremely well in a band situation. I haven't heard the ES2 yet.

13. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

314ce all day long, brah!

14. Ches

Ches Supporting Member

I recently bought a new 322e (v1 electronics) for less than your budget. It's a very comfortable guitar to play, and it sounds good. If you like hog tops and don't need a cutaway, I think it's a great choice. I'm going to check out a 314, too. I played a 324 today and really liked it. The slightly larger size of the xx4 models gives a fuller tone to my tin ear.

15. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

I bought a 414ce last year for live use and couldn't be happier. It has the ES1 and sounds HUGE through the PA...and I get NO feedback when playing right in front of a monitor! This is the best playing acoustic I have tried in 20+ years of playing. It also sits very well in a mix of a full band including keys. I would recommend going solid woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. 61Ephramite

61Ephramite Supporting Member

I have a 514ce that I got used for well under your $1500.00 mark. You can beat Sam Ash prices if you shop. I spent 10 yrs. selling Taylors. A new 314ce and maybe 414ce is in your range, with case, warranty, and newest electronics. In the used area, you could maybe find a limited piece. Some years those featured some interesting tone wood combinations along with a satin finish on the back and sides. That would be on par with the 3 and 4 series and keep the price down a bit. Call Jim. Trust me on this. Call Jim.

17. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I've had the opportunity to pick up 3 very nice Taylors in the last 4 months.

I got all these at pawnshop and off CL. All were bought at "giveaway" prices.

Here's 3 of the Taylors I picked up

'03 515-CE Jumbo Custom
    '05 414-CE L10 Fall Ltd.
    '07 315-CE Jumbo

Of all the 3 the '07 315-CE Jumbo sounds the best. It had a really nice bottom end with just the right mids and highs. I also projects better than the other 2.

The fact that it was in almost mint condition and I paid $600 for it, makes it ever better.

Based on my experience, I'd be looking for a 300 series Taylor. I think you get more bang for you buck. You'd still have to try them all out in person to make sure you like what you're getting.

18. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

My first post here. Just joined yesterday.
    I am wondering why there is no mention of the Taylor 322 as a good option for this OP. Any info on that would be appreciated since I am looking at one right now. Thanks

19. Ches

Ches Supporting Member

See post #14. I think it's a great option if you like a hog top.

20. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

There is a reason the 314 CE is Taylor's best selling model.
    A used one fits nicely under your price target. Don't sweat the ES versions-I have a 2004 454CE 12 string with the 1st gen ES and it is fine.