Taylor acoustic...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by powerball13, Sep 7, 2008.

1. powerball13

powerball13 Member

So I have recently been looking at taylor acoustics. I have been doing a lot of fingerpicking and wanted something smaller and brighter. I figured the grand concert was a good size. I would prefer it to be electric-acoustic but i also don't want a cutaway. Do they make the grand concert size as an electric acoustic? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. powerball13

powerball13 Member

or does anyone have a suggestion for a pickup system if i was to get just an acoustic? thanks guys.

3. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Yes, they make them, but don't advertise them. I have a GA4 with the Expression System and no cutaway that works well for me.

4. powerball13

powerball13 Member

any idea where i could possibly get one? or was it just from a local shop? thanks

5. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

They have the 312CE. I have one of there fall limited 312CE's from 2004 and it's a fantastic guitar at a pretty good price. Obviously it's not as BIG sounding as their larger bodied guitars but through a PA you can dial in some extra bass if you need it.

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

I bought a 214e last week. I am delighted with the guitar, and the Expression T system seems to work just fine for me.

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Check out one of these more simply appointed ones. And put a LR Baggs Ibeam in it. This pickup sounds more like micing the guitar and is my choice over their Expression System (which requires much EQing to sound natural IMO)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...angkolSitka-Spruce-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=517614

Or this short scale/sloted headstock one is sweet in Rosewood.
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-GC7-Grand-Concert-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=517626

Or my favorite, the same guitar in Koa. Although it's $900 more...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-Koa-Series-GCK-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514549

8. powerball13

powerball13 Member

yea i did the gc's and i do tend to hate a lot of the built in pickup systems, so that external pickup may be something to check out! and i just can't get into the slotted headstock...it makes a steel string guitar look like a classical nylon to me.

9. mischultz

mischultz Member

The GC3 and GC4 come standard with the traditional Taylor headstock and I'm fairly certain the rest can be ordered with one in place of the slotted. I agree with you and I'm not quite sure what they were going for when they made the switch. I'd suggest ordering without electronics and installing your system of choice after the fact unless you really dig the ES - obviously there's a broad range of opinion on that front as well.

Best,

Michael

10. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    If you have the $, check out the RTAYLOR model one and model two - a good friend has a model one that is one of the finest playing and sounding acoustics I have ever heard! (This after over 50 years of playing guitar, and owning my beloved Mark Angus hand-made acoustic; maple s/b, Black Forest German spruce top, shape is basically a Guild F-40 style - it's wonderful for fingerstyle and strumming, easy to get comparable volumes from either style, so the sounds balance very well...)
    The workmanship and attention to detail is par excellance, and as I said, the sound and playability ae out of this world!

11. JackBuck

JackBuck Member

fishman rare erth i got the humbucking easey install check it out
    looks cool too

12. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I just purchased a Taylor NS34CE Nylon Series guitar last week. This comes after trying several and the Taylor won, hands down, for it's tone and playablility. I love to play fingerstyle though my way of doing it is unorthodox I'm sure. The tone of the nylon strings put me into a very subdued state of mind and the strings are easier on the fingers. The playability of the guitar is unmatched by any I've held.

vtg