Taylor, Anderson now Babizc?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Mrgearguy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

The fad of the month continues... my question is, does anybody really want these sort of things?

[​IMG]

2. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

fugly. i'm sure it sounds original.. maybe. hard thing about building guitars and trying to be original is most people dont want original.. they want what their hero's played.

dave

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

What's the purpose of the strings being spaced like that below the bridge? Is it like that for a functional reason or an aesthetic one? It almost looks like your right forearm will catch on it from time to time.

4. DaveO

DaveO Member

The claim is - on an acoustic you get your sound from the top vibrating but with the stings putting so much tension on the middle of the top it has to be heavily braced which reduces the tops movement. So, they fanned out the stirings to the edges and reduced the bracing on the top to produce a better sound. Does it work? I haven't tried one or even seen one. Is it reguired on an electric? Seems kind of silly on an electric, but, it is their trademark design so I guess they use it on everything.
    Dave

5. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

I don't get your statement...are you implying that Taylor and Breedlove are "the fad of the month?" I would simply call them an alternative to the Martin/Gibson style. Lots of people like that! I played one of these new Babicz guitars a year or so ago at a store and thought it sounded great and was extremely innovative. Easy to adjust the action, etc., too. I also saw Todd Rundgren playing one live. Different is sometimes a good thing!
    I also think Taylor and Breedlove are here to stay--hardly fads!
    Check it out:
    http://www.babiczguitars.com/

6. TimH

TimH Member

I'd buy one of the Andersons if I could. They're great and functional if you do something like lead worship.

7. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I think he meant the acoustic/electric design ... ie. the taylor T5 (I think that what its called ) and the Anderson ... is it the crowdster?? or the Atom??

8. vampwizzard

vampwizzard Member

The babizc guitars are made like.. 45 min away from my house. The idea of spreading out the strings puts the strain along a longer portion of the body. I like the way the strings feel.. they arent as tight as on some other guitars. Plays like butter.

9. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

oops, now i get it!

10. Slidewinder

Slidewinder Member

I just picked up a Babicz dreadnought rosewood cutaway with an engelmann spruce top and the L.R Baggs imix pickup. http://www.hudsonvalleyguitars.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=123
    It sounds fantastic, but unfortunately the clips on the site are terrible. Those are not what the guitars sound like at all.
    It's loud, big and clear. I've been playing a taylor 414ce for awhile now, which is also a great guitar but even my wife remarked that the babicz sounds bigger and warmer with better clarity.
    It has a thin neck from back to front, maybe too thin for some but it fits my hand well and I can get the action so low that you can shred on it without buzzing or high enough to play slide on in a matter of seconds with no loss of tuning or pitch.
    I haven't played the Taylor in a few days and am honestly thinking of selling it to get a babicz spider.
    Whatever the logic is behind these guitars, it's not a gimmick.
    If there's a Babicz dealer in your area I'd say try one out.

11. Marccd

Marccd Member

I played the prototype and listened to an impromptu demonstration by the luthier at the after-Healdsburg party couple of shows ago. It got a lot of attention from other luthiers, especially the neck adjustment technology, but at that time in development it was not my sound.

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

The Anderson is AMAZING! not a fad at all, but the best plugged in acoustic guitar I've ever had. It plays and sounds amazingly. Never feeds back. Just wonderful
    [​IMG]