Taylor Build to Order

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by aziltz, May 20, 2011.

1. aziltz

aziltz Member

Who's done the Taylor Build-to-Order?

I just got back from vacation in San Diego and was blown away at the Taylor factory tour. I'm considering after a BTO Taylor Baritone would more or less match my 214e Sapele/Sitka GA, (2006, solid wood model). Actually, my fiance is considering it as a wedding gift. Unfortunately, you can't get any price info until you actually sit down with a dealer and go through their worksheet.

I've come to realize that everything Taylor makes from the 300 and up is essentially the same quality and workmanship, and the differences come in the wood and appointments quality, and I think this is wonderful about them.

Has anyone gone the BTO route? How was your experience? How did the price compare to a similarly equivalent standard model?

Thanks in advance!

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

3. aziltz

aziltz Member

thanks. i've poked around a bit and found some helpful info.

4. patrickbrose

patrickbrose Member

I sat down with a dealer once, and by the time I got through the worksheet, I had about $9000 worth of guitar. In the end, I found a 414CE that just sang, so I snagged it rather than go the BYO route.
    -P

5. aziltz

aziltz Member

I recently found a worksheet that someone put together outlining all the goodies. It's really rather reasonable, and quite comparable to the standard pricing. I also have very simple tastes. No bling on my acoustic, I think just want an 8 string baritone in sapele and spruce.

6. patrickbrose

patrickbrose Member

Yeah see that was the thing. When I sat down with the sheet I thought "hey that would be cool, and ooh that is just a little more, add it" next thing I knew I was in over my head! Thank god the 414 was there. Saved me a good $7000+ ;-)

7. aziltz

aziltz Member

in my opinion, taylor guitars are better than handmade. its like the attention of handmade, especially in the finishing and appointments, without the variations that cause inconsistencies in the sound, intonation, playability. it reminds me alot of my lab, some things are professionally machined and somethings are finessed by hand and the harmony of all that is greater than anything bought off the shelf or completely self-produced. I may be a bit biased, but to each his own i guess.

8. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

We had a customer whose hobby was ordering Taylors. At least one a year, sometimes a few. They were all outstanding visually, and most were a joy to play. I don't think there are any newbies working on the custom orders. One thing he learned was, rather than tell them what you want, ask them if what you want is a good idea. ;)

Myself, I wonder about the sapele. Might not a harder wood give better bass from a baritone?

9. aziltz

aziltz Member

I don't know much about Sapele, other than it sounds great in my 214e. At the factory it was described as an alternative to Mahogany. The off-the-line baritones are built with Indian Rosewood. This would off course be a question to ask the dealer, who is a very good friend of mine and I value his opinion.

At the moment, Sapele was chosen because I am very happy with my 214e look and sound.

10. guitar5

guitar5 Member

I played, but did not own, a mahogany/cedar model one of my friends owned that was taylor BYO and it was much much better than any taylor I've ever played.