Taylor consistency.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Curt, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Curt

Curt Member

I have read about the consistency of Taylor guitars for years.
    While at my local guitar shop buying some strings today, I thought I’d see if that was true.
    I asked the luthier to bring his 6” scale and follow me into their humidified guitar showroom.
    We pulled down seven different Taylors that had been hanging on the wall for a few weeks and started measuring.
    The relief on all of them was quite consistent. All about the width of a business card.
    However, the action on the 12th fret (low E) ranged from less than 3/32 to almost 5/32.
    Only two of the seven were 3/32….Taylor’s spec.

This is not a put-down of Taylor.
    I own one and it is my favorite acoustic by far.
    Just wondering if this lack of consistency is indicative of all large builders?

2. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

Are you talking about the set up? I have seem Martins that varie in set up new. Humidity and different things can effect that. I am sure that the store would set it up to your liking if you bought one.

3. Kraus Guitars

Kraus Guitars Member

Don't forget the big companys probably make a hundred Guitars a day. Each Guitar of a same model is made to the same spec's basically, even though the tops, backs, bracewood and neck material all vary in strenth and stiffness. The Guitars are setup to spec. and then go out the door pretty fast. No time is allowed for the Guitar to settle in. Most factory Guitars would need to be setup after the purchase to suit the player.

4. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I agree with the above - not sure setup is any kind of an indicator of consistency. To my ears Taylors are about as consistent in build quality and sound as it gets. Problem is that they sound like Taylors.

5. Timcito

Timcito Member

I've found that Taylors have the lowest actions straight out of the box of any make I've had. This is not an advantage to me as I like to use dropped tunings, and the bass E has buzzed when dropped on every Taylor I've owned. One goal of Taylor seems to be a factory spec aimed at the fastest, easiest playability in town, but there's a price to be paid for that.

6. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Did the luthier ask if you intended on buying, or were just interested in wasting his time?!

7. Timcito

Timcito Member

:boxer:boxer:boxer

8. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

The relief spec is going to change based on weather, humidity and local temperature and wood variations. Things move.
    The guitars will ship with a 'static' setup, but the shipping, weather, etc. will change that just hanging on the wall for a bit.
    You can't control weather on the neck relief like that, so that's not the greatest gauge of consistency.

More would be the specs on the neck shape, nut width, height of nut and saddle, etc.

9. Curt

Curt Member

Thanks Mike, that's what I was looking for.

10. Curt

Curt Member

Actually, after he finished measuring, I had him go out to the parking lot and change the oil in my car.
    Then he followed me home and carried in my groceries.

11. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Bastard dropped the eggs...didnt' he....

12. Curt

Curt Member

Yes, but he made up for it by renting a snow plow and then clearing off my driveway.

13. davess23

davess23 Member

Taylors I've played all were consistent in that the necks were fast and the sound was extremely balanced-- like there was a built-in eq feature even though the guitar wasn't plugged in.

I wouldn't call set-up issues a characteristic of a builder's work, any more than I'd call the need for a front-end alignment a problem with the handling characteristics of a car. Of course, in both cases I'd expect the dealer to remedy the problem before I wrote a check.

14. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Silver Supporting Member

FWIW, I played a whole room full of them today and no two were alike in any way. Some were pretty nice and I love the way they play but I just can't get down with the sound myself. I have friends who swear bye them though.

15. crambone

crambone Member

I swear by my Taylors!!!