Taylor Electrics- The Hollow Bodies...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Srvwannab, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I don't think too many people would call the Taylor Solid Body Electrics pretty.

With that said, this guitar is gorgeous!
    [​IMG]
    I realize that the Taylor Electrics don't get much love around here, but- I have a feeling that like all things Taylor, this guitar plays really well and is very well made.

Has anybody here played one?

2. s2y

s2y Member

I have 2 T3/Bs and a T5. I enjoy them. One of my T3/Bs has Lollartrons. I'm likely switching my other T3/B to a P90 bridge and Charlie Christian neck once my other semi-hollow is done.

They all play really great.

3. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I'm guessing these things must have listed for pretty big $$? I'm seeing them having sold on eBay for around $1,000. Geez. Sure looks like a lot of guitar for the money!

4. s2y

s2y Member

I think they were a little more than $2k when they came out. I got one with a really nice flamed top for $1200 new at the Taylor Road Show last year.

I agree they're a really nice semi-hollow for the $.

[​IMG]

5. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

I want one of those T5 in koa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I own a 2005 T5 koa. It's a sweet sounding guitar and plays well. You can find then used at a fraction of what the list is.

I like the T3 as well, but bought a Gretsch Black Falcon, so I have those tones covered between the two.

I think Taylor makes great semi hollow body guitars, but could not bind with their electric series.

7. rjsc5

rjsc5 Member

RE the T3: What Taylor fails to disclose is the great looking top is a thin veneer over what appears to be masonite (similar to pegboard without the holes or kind of like the cheap danos or Sears guitars of the 60's). i removed the switchplate cover on the upper bout on the back of the guitar and was a bit surprised. A call to Taylor confirmed that the the top is a veneer over what they call a "laminate". We are not talking plywood ala 335's.
    Given that and that the neck and back of the body are made of sapele, material costs are not even close to the quilted maple and mahogony of other guitars. Maybe this gives them a unique sound, and maybe this is why Taylor felt they needed to reduce the MSRP after several years on the market. Needless to say I was a bit put off by Taylors less than full disclosure, and the fact that all the stellar reviews they received never brought this up. I will say the workmanship is very nice typical of a Taylor. YMMV
    It is also interesting to note that Taylor now uses the term "layered wood" on their less expensive acoustics.

8. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

The only one of these that I ever played enough to have a real opinion about it was a T5-12. It was glorious. I want one SO badly.

But I can't afford it.

9. s2y

s2y Member

[​IMG]

All of them? I truly haven't been under the hood of my T3/Bs. It's hard for a paper thin veneer to have this sort of 3D effect. I know my T5 is solid because I got curious and wanted to see what was going on.

10. PW214

PW214 Member

We have the Taylor solid body custom walnut. I actually think that's quite pretty (and love the tones it produces) lol

When the new TZ5Koa came out, I was going to buy it. It's a pretty guitar but I was so unimpressed with the sounds...it wasn't long after I started to play when I put it back and moved along. I love Taylor too. I have the K24ce for my acoustic. I just didn't like these much.

11. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    I had a solid body in walnut and loved the tone, as well as the look. It was different without being odd, and the walnut was beautiful. I couldn't bond with the neck, and find that I feel the same way on all of their electrics. The issue is the high e-string lines up perfectly with the inside of my finger joint and it is painful to play. I haven't explored all the tonal possibilities of the hollow-bodies once I realized the neck and I don't get along. Beautiful guitars, though.

12. s2y

s2y Member

I EQ my amp for the T5 like a Tele. I also boost the onboard preamp bass and cut the treble.