Taylor Electrics: Ugly?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rotten, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Is it just me, or are the new Taylor electrics just plain ugly? Seems like the last company to come up with a good looking option for an electric was PRS, and now they are a viable option to Gibson and Fender.

All the acoustic companies, Martin, Ovation, etc., that try to go electric just seem to design ugly guitars. I'm not sure I'm even sold on the aesthetic qualities of the Collings electrics.

What do you think?

2. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

I agree with you. Ovation has really discouraged me in the last few years to buy their product. I tried so hard to buy the Glen Campbell 6 string reissue guitar from them about a year ago, and I couldn't find a dealer that was good to do business with, to get me one. Plus there was such a major price difference between the stores I was checking with, that I gave up. No one had the guitar in stock and the few Ovation dealers around were not very accommodating to me. So Ovation lost out on a sale, and I went a purchased another custom shop Strat, which I am glad I did.
    I don't fancy Taylor guitars. I think they are over rated. I bought a Martin D-35 instead. I have yet to hear of a vintage Taylor.:dude

3. silverface63

silverface63 Member

Yes... Taylor electrics are very hard on the eyes. They rank right up there with the Parker Fly.

4. onemind

onemind Member

I think the White with pearloid and mini-hums looks great, the one I played though was not made very well though. But hey, I think the fly is a great looking guitar.

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

ugly, fo'sho- IMO.
    I like Parker's, though.

6. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Member

Others and myself think they look like Ovations !!!!:BEER

7. PFCG

PFCG Member

i think that they are ugly, as well as the new larivee guitars. Im kinda picky about shapes of guitars and what not. alot of people disagree with me but i think the gustavson body shape is ugly as well.

8. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

Yes, not unlike the new Breedlove electric.

9. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I thought the Taylor electric I saw at GC was much better looking in real life than in pictures.

10. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Yes, but not as ugly as the Breedloves.

11. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

They sound pretty good though.

12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Not as ugly as those Tyler's. Egads! Does Tyler have some sort of Jedi mind trick that causes people to see beauty in those shmeared monstrosities?

I saw a Taylor in GC and thought it looked a little nicer in person. I saw a Tyler in person, and it was worse than the pictures.

The Larrivee electric isn't my cup of tea, but I don't find it horrible.

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

I don't mind them or the Breedloves, for some reason, and that is really odd, because I am so old school that anything new looking and different usually doesn't turn my head. Of course I won't be buying either. As far PRS looking different?? To me the double cut is a Strat with LP-like appointments. The single cut is a LP variation. Neither seem very new shape-wise to me.

14. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Without a doubt...they are fugly. Call me backwards, but I also do not like the fact that nothing on them is standard. You will never be customizing these bad boys... you either play them the way the came from the factory, or you don't play them.

I have a feeling most people will be doing the latter.

A

15. Birddog

Birddog Member

Yeah. Me too. I'm surprised how many people dislike them. The GC in Buffalo has a couple of them and I think they look great.

16. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

17. KazJY

KazJY Member

At first I wasn't sure I liked the shape, or the bridge, especially. (ok, I didn't like it at first) Once I saw one in a GC, and held it/played it - I liked it a lot more, and wanted one badly.

There are too many things that I just want badly, so I'll just see where my money takes me.

18. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Yep... same ugly mama I guess. Stick to what you know guys!

19. dash_doc

dash_doc Member

+1 :NUTS

20. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

Ugly and overpriced. Why anyone would buy one of those over a PRS Mira (if we're talking guitars readily available at GC in the same price range), is beyond me.