Taylor Grand Pacific--I haven't been this interested in a new guitar in a while

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by runningman, Feb 16, 2019.

1. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Director of the 2019 Like Farming Initiative Gold Supporting Member

Weak spots in the sense that there are places on the neck where notes drop off quickly or you have to exert a lot of pressure to get some sustain. I love a good J-45. Classic sound that sits well in a mix and blends well with vocals.

2. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Read lots abut these -- there was a huge spread in Guitar or Guitarist (I forget which) a British guitar mag, and while it was a promo, it was very informative. Taylor's musical intentions for this series are really solid, IMO. They are going for clarity of response, not for tons of harmonic excess, and, yes, they are looking for clear, driving bass but not the overdone boomy bass of Martins, which I fins a complete drag unless playing bluegrass. Not scooped mids. I think they are looking for more of the fundamental rather than a blizzard of fizzy harmonics. I really like that. They have also worked on the bracing to achieve more accurate intonation and control. I wish Taylor could resist making some parts too distinctive. In this case, it's the bridges again. They're not as ugly as usual for Taylor, but they're still trumped up a bit more than the rest of the guitar. I really dislike gratuitous decoration. The guitar is so beautiful that we don't need a sculpture -- a plain bridge would be great. Om the other hand: gorgeous shade tops! Subtle and tasteful, not excessive.

3. runningman

runningman Member

I was at Guitar Center the other day, and they had just received a new 317.

Same problem. Lovely looking and playing guitar, but just sounds thin.

To your point, I honestly don't see how Taylor competes with Gibson and particularly Martin when those guitars are available for direct comparison.

After playing a Taylor, a Martin just sounds so much deeper and richer and woodier. All I ever seem to hear with the Taylors is the strings.

Rod likes this.
  4. AllanAnd

AllanAnd Member

... But really, really uncomfortable.... ;)

joeprs likes this.