1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Taylor Guitar Factory Tour!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by aziltz, May 22, 2011.

1. aziltz

aziltz Member

Just got back from a trip to San Diego and we headed out to El Cajon on Tuesday to tour the Taylor Guitar Factory. I've been a proud Taylor owner since 2006 when I bought a Solid Sapele and Spruce 214e, (the current 200 series is laminated).

Besides the impressively skilled luthiers, machinists and robots (!), the most impressive thing about Taylor (and even more reason to love them) is that all the 300 level guitars and up are all made in the same factory, by the same people with the same attention to detail. The only difference is the materials and appointments. My older 214e was made this same way!

Anyway, I took lots of pictures and threw them all in an album. The tour goes roughly backwards in the construction process. Their show room has a ton of guitars you can play and try out. They also include a wall of all 5 shapes with the same construction as well as a wall of the GA shape in all the standard series woods, so you can really compare the shapes and the woods for the sounds.

The 8-string that you seem me playing is a baritone 8 string. It sounds like heaven with the D and G strings doubled up an octave and the whole thing tuned B to B, I believe.

There's a few candids of my fiance and I. I will apologize in advance.

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/aziltz/2011/Taylor Guitar Factory/

2. ShadowPlay

ShadowPlay Member

Nice! Must be cool to actually see it go from pallets of wood to the end product.

Was that an on-site chiropractor?

3. AcousticDude

AcousticDude Member

Thanks for all the great pics. I was surprised to see one of the workers actually polishing the guitar body by holding it up to the polishing wheel. On the Martin tour, they had a huge robot doing that because of the physical demand on their workers to hold the body steady. They said it actually improves the quality of the polishing job too.

4. joeprs

joeprs Member

Sweet! Thanks for sharing.
    I love my 314CE.

5. aziltz

aziltz Member

Taylor has robots for the main polishing and the finish spraying. The robot gets things most of the way there (time saver) and then the people take it the last mile. There should be a video of the buffing robot in the album somewhere.

6. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

Sounds like fun! I have a 814ce and a 310 - I'd love to see where they were "born". :aok

I want to put a set of Gotoh's tuners on my 814 - hoped I could get it done in the shop there so I could keep my guitar "factory".;)

7. patrickbrose

patrickbrose Member

I have been trying to convince the wife that San Diego is not "The Zoo and Legoland" for a while...
    Love my 414CE
    -P

8. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

A 2003 814CE owner with Taylor upgraded expression system, they replaced 1st yr
    Expression system that was faulty, great instrument
    [​IMG]

9. msr13

msr13 Member

Those are great pics. Thanks for sharing them.

10. joeprs

joeprs Member

I forgot to mention, whether for only 5 minutes or so, or an hour, I play my Taylor every day!