Taylor K26E Koa GS opinions, please

joeprs

I stopped by my local GC to try a Grand Orchestra bodied guitar. It was comfortable, but maple, back and sides are not my thing.

Then, I noticed they had a K26e in the display case. Having never played Koa, I was curious. I already have a GS BTO Cocobolo and figured the two woods are very different which would justify buying another acoustic.

I fell in love with this guitar. It's very comfortable to play and sounds great, which I know will improve with age!

I would appreciate any and all comments/opinions, if you don't mind. I know people either love Taylor or not, and that's okay.
Hopefully, I will get some good comments. Thanks in advance.

This is a link to the website: http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/k26e

andersmv

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a big Taylor fan and own a K20ce (All koa dred). I realize a lot of people do not like Taylors, and it's totally understandable. They can be very neutral to a fault sometimes, even "lifeless" compared to something like a Martin with character. Regardless, my K20 sounds like a Taylor in a lot of ways but still has a lot of character. As a recording engineer, I fell in love with it because I thought it would be an incredibly easy guitar to record, and I was right. It responds well to different strings as well, I like it with Elixir phosphor bronze but if you throw some ernie ball earthwoods on there, and it mellows it out and makes it sound muddier and boomier more like a D-28.

I'm also digging the newer shading on the koa from taylor, it's almost like a sunburst on top of it. Just go for it, great guitars and beautiful wood for sure!

joeprs

Thank you for the helpful reply. I put a deposit to hold it while I think about it. I love the looks, but more importantly when I played it, I really loved the sound and feel. It's so different from my other acoustics.

I will have to experiment with different strings, as you suggested. I like the Elixirs, they last a long time, but maybe something else would sound better on a particular guitar.

Geosh

I have played a couple Koa Taylor (mostly GA size) that were pheonominal sounding guitars, and I have played a couple that were just ok sounding in comparison (but still looked incredible). If you found one that sounds good I wouldn't hesitate.

andersmv

Silver Supporting Member
I have played a couple Koa Taylor (mostly GA size) that were pheonominal sounding guitars, and I have played a couple that were just ok sounding in comparison (but still looked incredible). If you found one that sounds good I wouldn't hesitate.
I should of mentioned this as well. I played 4 of the same model at the same store, and one of them did not sound nearly as good as the other three (And unfortunately it was the nicest looking of the bunch). I picked the one that sounded the best. It's still koa and looks amazing, but the others had better grain.

Quake17

I have a 2011 GS Ltd (koa with cutaway). It's about 2 years old now and is developing that "sweet" sort of sound a good all koa guitar has. Very different than a spruce top but a really nice change. Easy on the eyes to boot.

joeprs

I decided to go for it and will pick it up Saturday.

Thanks for your opinions on this, I appreciate it.

clmazza

Gold Supporting Member
I was never impressed with the sound of an acoustic made of all Koa until Taylor came out with their latest incarnation.... The K26ce GS. It sounds glorious.... And it's not a bad looker either ;)

The GS body really makes the difference IMHO. It is more "full" sounding.... Something all Koa guitars usually lack. The notes really bloom and just has the sound that I've been after.

Oh.... Congrats! Can't wait for your full review and obligatory pics :)

My 2013..... Only a few months old

joeprs

WOW,clmazza! She's a beauty! Congrats!

I couldn't wait until Saturday and was able to make some time to pick her up today. And, as you say, the notes really bloom. It is very well balanced and full sounding. I think it is a nice compliment to my GS Cocobolo BTO and Bourgeois Artisan RW.

I will try to get photos up tomorrow, have to go to work now.:cry: I'd rather stay home and play. I hope to have time to plug her in tomorrow as well.

I was never impressed with the sound of an acoustic made of all Koa until Taylor came out with their latest incarnation.... The K26ce GS. It sounds glorious.... And it's not a bad looker either ;)

The GS body really makes the difference IMHO. It is more "full" sounding.... Something all Koa guitars usually lack. The notes really bloom and just has the sound that I've been after.

Oh.... Congrats! Can't wait for your full review and obligatory pics :)

My 2013..... Only a few months old

joeprs

So far I am loving this guitar! It's very difficult to put down. The tone and playability makes me keep playing and not want to stop!

Without further ado. I apologize for photo quality, I wanted to get something posted asap. She definitely looks better in person, especially the top.

Here she is:

clmazza

Gold Supporting Member
BRAVO! I love the bursted back of the neck..... ;) CONGRATULATIONS again on a fine acquisition!

joeprs

BRAVO! I love the bursted back of the neck..... ;) CONGRATULATIONS again on a fine acquisition!
Thank you very much!

I forgot to mention, the body has a gloss finish and the neck has a satin finish (I think that would be what it is called), it feels very similar to my rosewood neck PRS's, I like it a lot.

Last edited:

clmazza

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you very much!

I forgot to mention, the body has a gloss finish and the neck has a satin finish (I think that would be what it is called), it feels very similar to my rosewood neck PRS's, I like it a lot.
Mine has the same satin neck... One of the things that I love about the guitar ;)

joeprs

Mine has the same satin neck... One of the things that I love about the guitar ;)
Exactly! Like I said, it reminds me of my PRS's BRW or IRW neck, which has no finish on it. It is one of the most comfortable necks to play.

What amp are you playing through? I use a Fishman Loudbox 100 with a TRS cable. I like practicing plugged in because it really helps me to play clean.

I managed to find a setting that gets it to sound like I'm not plugged in, I'm pretty much getting the natural tone of the guitar coming out of the amp, only louder. My friends that have heard it agree with me.

I wanted to ask you, how long before you noticed the guitar started opening up? Is it age and playing, or just the playing over time that opens it up?

There was a device I read about on TGP that you leave in your sound hole in the case when you are not playing which is supposed to help open the guitar up quicker. I forgot what it is called. I'm wondering if it's worth getting one to alternate between my 4 or 5 acoustics?

Trending Topics