Taylor or Martin?

Tom CT

Old Supporting Member
Played the Builder's Reserve Series 7. This was far from thin and weak. Also played a Presentation series that sounded very strong.
At $7,000 to 8,000, I'd expect them to sound pretty spectacular.

shando98

Gold Supporting Member
I've had a D16GT since '98, and I love it. It has a rosewood fretboard where as the newer ones have Micarta. I've played Martins and Taylors that I love, and ones that I couldn't stand. My advice to anybody that is guitar shopping is to play as many as you can until you find one you like.

dmarkj22

Both are great guitar makers and both are different. I ended up going with a Taylor 814ce and what sold me was it's playability and versatility.

Doublearon77

Silver Supporting Member
Martins have tone, and body-

Taylors though they are bright and articulate, just 'tinkle' by comparison, to my ears- you hear an acoustically amplified string (as in a ringing wire)

With a Martin, you hear a guitar
Well said.

Taylors while well built guitars are just to modern in my opinion.

UncleDuke

I've been a Martin fan for years. I love Martins.

I recently got a Taylor 710 from the Lemon Grove studio. It took a while for me to take to it, but once I did, I love it.

Part of this is that it isn't about the brand, but the individual guitar itself. You've got play a bunch to find the one that you think sounds the way that you want to be heard. The 710, IMO, sounds like a hybrid between a D35 and a HD35.

kram21

Like them both, my taylor GS Koa has a yamaha grand piano sound-tone to it. While Martin D16A sounds totally awesome and can have long sustains if u wish. Taylor is more consistent in quality contro(as is Collings and Breedlove ) as compared to Martin and Gibsonfor that matter . Just find the one you like the most. Play all the brands

royd

this is not meant to rain on anyone's party... if a guitar gives you pleasure, then it is the right one for you. The OP preferred the Breedlove over the Martin or Taylor so that is the guitar the OP should have purchased.

For everyone else, be aware that the Breedloves in this $1K price range are built in Korea, not the US, and the sides and backs are mostly or all laminated rather than solid. The Oregon series and up are built in the USA and have all solid woods. So that puts the Breedlove in a very different category of guitar than the Taylor. The Martins discussed are their weird mixes of mystery wood neck, Richlite bridge, solid spruce top and solid mahogany s/b on the D16GT or solid sapele s/b on the DCPA4. Personally, I would not consider a guitar with parts made of Richlite at any price over about $300 and don't trust manufacturers specs that say "select hardwood" for the neck.

TJNies

OK, here's my two cents:
If you play in bands - Taylor. Good high end and articulation
Solo - Martin. Regardless of the model, you can always dig a little extra bass from any Martin.
I had an HD28 but wanted a smaller body. Tried everything without prejudice. Got a Martin 00016-RGTE. Love it.
Actually the best acoustic I have ever had the pleasure to play was a Martin M38. Amazing balance and feel.

OK, here's my two cents:
Solo - Martin. Regardless of the model, you can always dig a little extra bass from any Martin.
Probably a very fair assessment. Taylor's certainly cut through the mix a little better in a band situation. When I play in a band, I'll inevitably play an electric though, so I prefer Martins.

crambone

OK, here's my two cents:
I had an HD28 but wanted a smaller body. Tried everything without prejudice. Got a Martin 00016-RGTE. Love it.
Actually the best acoustic I have ever had the pleasure to play was a Martin M38. Amazing balance and feel.
I actually kinda agree with this.

jeffbelch

Silver Supporting Member
Gibson acoustics all the way...I bought a used Songbird for $600 about 3 years ago. I bought it as a second to my $3k Taylor. The Taylor was shipped out the door about two weeks later. I've used the Songbird exclusively since.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I'd say play some and pick the one that feels/sounds right to you. Is there anything else that matters? Both Taylor and Martin (and many other brands) make great guitars.

Peace,

mrcontinental

If you're like most of us here you can appreciate a fine sounding instrument regardless of the name on it.

That being said the comparisons always seem to be between Martin and Taylor and to me they simply do not do, and are not meant to do, the same things. So I took the easy way out and got one of each - A 214ce and a DCX1e. Used these can be had far below retail and I took full advantage. All told I paid for both less than a brand new 214ce would have cost me and they both sound great and are built like tanks!

I finger pick the 214ce and with it's light strings it doesn't disturb anybody yet I hear each note clearly and smoothly and it can sound really lovely. The DCX1E is the strummer and with a nice set of strings it really rings and I find it to be slightly more versatile than the 214ce. I love them both and they are great companions. If used is not an issue this could be a fine option to take.

Of course neither will replace my 2002 D-35! It can bring tears to your eyes it - it sounds almost magical and can do anything my limited abilities ask it to do.

But if you want great sound - plugged and unplugged give these two a look.

Trending Topics