Taylor short scale - you like?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by KazJY, Feb 12, 2008.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

Thinking of getting another acoustic - and ordering a Taylor with a short scale neck, if it doesn't have one already. Feels good to me in the store, but if anyone's had one for awhile - do you still like it? Glad you got it? I also wonder if there's any tonal differences (I imagine this is splitting hairs, but I have to ask) between short scale and their old standard scale.

2. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

I have a short scale XXX-BE. It's a very intimate guitar. It's somewhat similar to my Huss & Dalton OM Custom. I use them for finger style work-they are not strummers.

3. KazJY

KazJY Member

I'd be doing a bit of both - strumming and fingerpicking.

4. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

The DDSM is a shorter scale as is the x12 series guitars. I would recommend both for fingerpicking. If you will be doing a lot of strumming, the DDSM will hold up better than a x12 model. There will definitly be some tonal differences between long and short scale, but the biggest differences will be with volume and playability.

5. KazJY

KazJY Member

I saw that Taylor finally is releasing the cutaway GS. Thoughts on this for strumming and fingerpicking? It'll probably be a GS5-series (what is it now, the 516?) by the time I am done deciding.

6. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I have a T-5 which has a short scale... and it plays really well. After a year and a half, I've grown fonder and fonder of playing the little bugger! Very comfortable and the intonation is perfect, best I've played ( I have 2 hand-made Mark Angus acoustics, a Gibson ES-345 ('74) and an ES-175 ('67) and love 'em all but the Taylor neck is way more accurate, everywhere on the fretboard). The short scale feels lighter/looser with the same string gauges on a full scale neck, too....

7. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

The Taylor L9 Series were short scale guitars. I currently own the 510CE L9 and it is an incredible guitar. Same scale length as the Martin Clapton model. This guitar is a cannon. It is a weird paradox that a short scale guitar would have so much umph, but it is a tone monster. For comparison, I also own a Collings dreadnaught- (which is an incredible guitar...) and there are times I still pick up the Taylor. If you keep an eye on ebay you can find them at great prices.
    I hope this helps~

Joe

8. mike aufrichtig

mike aufrichtig Silver Supporting Member

I purchased a 2007 512CE in November, and like the short scale a lot. It's not a night-and-day difference between that and a longer scale (I've also got a 2005 312CE with the longer scale), but there is a difference that I can feel, more than one that I can hear. And with smaller hands such as mine, the shorter scale is a real plus. Though the guitar is better for fingerpicking than strumming (and I am primarily a fingerstyle player), it strums just fine too - have a look at the video on the link below - I'm the guitarist who's seated not standing, and the 512CE had just been received a couple of weeks prior to this performance. Sounded just fine to me.

http://channels.ridgewoodtv.com/kickapps/_Ridgewood-Unplugged/video/131417/7783.html

9. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

10. stechmann

stechmann Member

I just bought a Taylor GC7 and I can't say enough how great this guitar is. Great sounding, very easy to play and the craftmanship is perfect.

11. mike aufrichtig

mike aufrichtig Silver Supporting Member

Thanks! It was a fun performance, and included other tunes such as Here Comes The Sun, Rikki Don't Lose That Number, and Fat Bottomed Girls. I thought the small bodied Taylor 512CE sounded just fine in this context, when using the built in electronics.