Taylor T5 Tips - Positive Only Please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DavidE, Apr 25, 2008.

1. DavidE

DavidE Member

I have a Taylor T5 coming from a forum member. I read all the posts dissing the T5 and I understand a lot of people can't figure out how to make the guitar work for them. Please, no negative bitching about the T5 in this thread. I'm looking for helpful information. Thanks.

I've played a couple and felt there was real potential in these guitars so I figured I'd give one a shot. I've heard people make them sound lousy and I've heard them sound pretty darn good. I'm not looking for a mic'd Martin sound here.

For those who've had success with their T5's, please share your tips on making it work for you in any context (solo, band etc... acoustic, electric etc...).

I only plan to use the T5 with my acoustic duo right now so I'll be focused on the acoustic type tone at first.

Thanks

2. onemind

onemind Member

I think the mistake most people make is plugging immediately into whatever amplifier is available. It will really only sound best through an acoustic amp (e.g. SWR Strawberry Blonde, etc.)

3. DavidE

DavidE Member

I use a Bose PAS (L1) for my acoustic duo. I'll use the same signal chain I used for my Ovations, Martin and Hamer Duotone piezo.

Actually, my first gig with it will be next Wednesday and I'll send it to the FOH system with no amp.

I'm thinking of adding an A/B/Both switch to my acoustic pedalboard and using a pocket POD for the electric side. That could be fun and I have all the stuff to make it happen.

4. joefender

joefender Member

I've played a couple T5s and loved the tone. First time was a koa top through a 4X10 Deville. Very good electric tone although not exactly what you would expect from an acoustic guitar. More like a good semi-hollow tone. Feel and playability of the neck was incredible. I saw a guy play one live a while back and it was painful. Way, way too harsh. High pitched and punchy. Don't recall what he was using for an amp but I'm thinking he was running through the PA.

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I'll try not to be too negative, but your question is dangerous. I think you want to know how to use this guitar best, so if any of my comments appear "negative" i apologize. Everyone I know who has had one has not been happy with it, and I discovered it wouldn't work well for me and passed on it in favor of a Crowdster Plus, but your requirements are different, and promising for this wonderful instrument.

The guitar is a remarkably well-put together instrument. Fit and finish are amazing. Playability is off the charts good. And it's beautiful. I wanted SO badly to love it and buy it, but it wasn't quite "right" for me. I have a buddy who uses one a lot, and he's found that it works best in the way that you are going to use it... GOOD news.

Focusing on only the acoustic side of this instrument will be positive, imho. Find a great Acoustic Guitar preamp (perhaps like the AG Stomp that I love so much or the D-tar mama bear that I hear so much about. OR an Aura, which I liked a lot, but didn't work well with my Crowdster, so I just kept my AG stomp.) There will be no use for you for most of the positions on the pickup switch (you might only like one!). Don't sweat it, find the one that works and just leave it there.

It is the electric tones out of that guitar that killed it for me anyway, and the inability to use the acoustic and electric through separate signal chains at the same time. You don't have that challenge! So you will love the guitar I think. (I kinda think if they made an acoustic only version that it would sell like crazy.)

But a miked martin sound? That might be tough. Take it to a Fishman dealer and try an Aura. That might do it. Or the mama bear. I love my AG Stomp, but not everybody does. Then run straight to the board or an Acoustic Guitar amp like a fender acoustasonic or the Fishman Loudbox.

6. DavidE

DavidE Member

At first I plan to run it through my Roland (or Boss?) AC3 preamp for a touch of reverb and eq and chorus on occasion. That little box does wonders for my piezo guitars. I actually own an AG Stomp but my early experiments with it were terrible. Care to share any settings? I also own a Baggs paraDI I can try.

I'm definitely NOT going for a miked Martin sound, I think you misunderstood. Just a modern "acoustic" type sound that really isn't what a good acoustic sounds like (I have a Martin, Taylor and Breedlove for that if it's what I was going for).

As for the hybrid electrics, I've owned several and I still own my Hamer Duotone, a first generation Parker Nitefly and a Fender tele with piezo bridge. They're not quite what I'm looking for.

As for the Anderson, I've played a few other than the Crowdster and the necks weren't to my liking. For what it's worth, I usually gig with a couople of PRS guitars with wide/fat necks with my full band. I don't have any plans to use the Taylor with the full band unless it surprises me.

I do use a looper with my duo (one guitar, two vocals) so I was thinking it would be cool to add the electric option for solos in a different way than I can do with my Hamer Duotone.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a compressor pedal might be nice for adding sustain for leads while keeping things clean. it sounds like you're on the right track, treating it not as an electric or an acoustic, but as its own thing.

8. DavidE

DavidE Member

Another good thought. I have an Aphex optical compressor pedal dying to be used.

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I don't want to be negative but I will say that the T5 just didn't do acoustic or electric tones all the great for me to really buy into it intially...

But,

I will alos say that it is one of the best playing instruments I have come across. Very comfortable and an absolute breeze that I would actually buy it and work with the tone.

With that said,

I have never been a fan of the Taylor electronics (ES System) in general but I do own a Taylor and managed to make them work with certain acoustic amps. With electric tones, it can work as a "hybrid" and can certainly pull of some unique tones which can definitely be used but could never replace my "real" electrics.

I have had best luck with running them through nice acoustic amps like the:
    • Marshall AS100D - One of my favorite and underrated acoustic amps.​
    • Genz Benz Shenandoah Pro - Monster 200-watt acoustic amp.
    • Bose System - I think anything acoustic pretty much sounds killer through this, but the reverb sucks! Not sure about the newer one if they improved it.
    • Fishman amps - Sweet amps!
    I think for the electric stuff, it works decently with a quality tube amp.

10. DavidE

DavidE Member

First, the system in the T5 is not the same as the ES electronics. So many people seem to be confused about that but Taylor is very clear about it.

"Bose System
    - I think anything acoustic pretty much sounds killer through this, but the reverb sucks! Not sure about the newer one if they improved it."

Maybe that's because there is NO reverb on the Bose L1 (now classic), so how can it suck? There is reverb in the current system through the little $500 mixer, but my singer and I got used to singing with no reverb and no effects on the vocals at all and it's amazing how good it sounds. I do add a touch of ambiance to my acoustic guitar sound through my Boss AC3 reverb and a Boss DD5 delay.

I guess I'll just work it out myself when it arrives.

11. Snap

Snap Member

Ed Roland used one on the Collective Soul home dvd and it didn't sound half bad.

12. DavidE

DavidE Member

13. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I was stating that I don't like Taylor electronics in general regardless of what the system is or is called. I was just mentioning the ES as an example. It doesn't matter it sounds bad to me. It sounds like you may possibly like it and that is perfectly ok.

As far as the Bose, then it was more than likely the new one that I played, sorry for the mix up. Its a nice sounding system like I said.

14. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

The T5 was'nt for me. I have a Taylor 614 & about 60 electrics. But a customer of mine uses one. He plays a mix of Jazz/Acoustic numbers solo. He sounds amazing with it. He runs into a A/B box & into a Twin & a SWR Red Head 2x10 Bass combo. After hearing him, I got the SWR for my Acousic Electrics too.
    The guitar is beautifully put together, the Koa top is striking. He had a second pickup installed by Taylor, I think there's a hum canceling position. Nice guitar.

15. DavidE

DavidE Member

Thanks for all the tips so far! The guitar will arrive Tuesday and I have run of acoustic gigs (Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Monday and the next Saturday) before we're back to full band gigs. That'll give me a good chance to wring it out and see if I can get a sound I'm happy with.

16. DavidE

DavidE Member

The guitar arrived today. I'm at work, so all I can say is that it looks great and plays great. Based on what I can see through the paint, it looks like a 3 piece body. Are they all like that?