TB loop pedal shorting out

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mr. G., May 28, 2008.

1. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I just built a 3 loop + tuner out TB pedal, and everything works great until I put the bottom of the enclosure on. When the bottom is on, it bends the enclosure in a way that makes the output row (the 3 jacks that are circled) short out on the enclosure itself. What I want to know is, is there some kind of paint that I can use to paint the inside of the enclosure with to create a barrier, so the jacks won't short out on the enclosure? (guess I should have done a better job with my measuring :rolleyes: )

[​IMG]

2. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Turn the jacks so that when the plug is inserted, the tip goes in a different direction other than the bottom.

3. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I've tried rotating the plugs so that the tips don't touch the enclosure, but the plugs are so close to the edge that it doesn't seem to matter. Am I screwed, or is there a way to correct my clumsy mistake? :eek:

4. meterman

meterman Member

How about covering the inside of the housing with some electrical tape where the contact is being made? Not pretty but it should prevent the short....

5. fizbin

fizbin Member

I wouldn't try to insulate with paint. No contact is your best insulator. Find a way to make that happen, second best solution is plastic such as tape mentioned above.

6. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Thanks! I'll give the electrical tape a try. (can't believe I didn't think about that before)

7. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

You could use enclosed jacks like these:
    http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=90

Also, if the solder tabs on the jacks are making contact with the box and rotating the jacks isn't preventing contact then you can bend the solder tabs so they don't stick out so much.

-Tim

8. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Tried the electrical tape... didn't really help much. Gonna have to do some more troubleshooting to figure out what's going on.

9. willymod

willymod Member

:agree..... double check the solder tabs!!!

10. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Finally got it working right (for now)... I wasn't taking into account how much the tip tab was going to move with a plug in. So, after doing some adjustments, I've got it working great.

Thanks for all the help!