TB Pedal to replace my Keeley TS9 Mod Plus, and Buffers question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alex_toney, May 29, 2008.

1. alex_toney

alex_toney Member

So... I'm looking to upgrade the buffers in my effects chain. I have a Keeley TS9 Mod Plus, so the first thing I want to do is replace that with a True Bypass pedal that will be as close to that sound as I can possibly get. So...

First question: What pedal would you recommend to replace my TS9?

Next, I'm planning on getting an MI Audio Boost 'n' Buff to go at the start of my chain and an Axess Electronics BS2 to go at the end of the chain - I will be splitting to two amps eventually so that is my reason for the BS2. Once I've replaced my TS9 everything in between these 2 will be TB.

Second question: Does that sound like a good combination for buffers or would you recommend different buffers? I have heard mixed reviews about the Axess BS2, so... what do you think?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

Not too sure on your second question, but I recommend the MJM Blues Devil to replace your Keeley.

3. thewheelies

thewheelies Member

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

If you like the Keeley when it's on, why replace it? Have it modified for true bypass, or run it through a TB loop box. If it sounds right when it's on, that's the pedal you should have.

Also, try it (turned off) in a TB loop (preferably with the LED covered, so you can't see when the signal passes through the pedal's bypass system and when it doesn't) to see what - if any - difference the pedal actually makes.

/Andreas

5. woschiz

woschiz Member

6. grayeyes777

grayeyes777 Active Member

the mi audio bbd is a good alternative to the ts. Personally I've tried to replace the keeley ts and always end up going back to it.

7. alex_toney

alex_toney Member

Thanks for the tips guys, I suppose it makes sense... I love my Keeley TS9, so why get rid of it? I didn't think about TB-modding it... but thanks for the suggestion, that should fix my problem.

I'm not too good at working with electronics yet so I'm hesitant to do it myself, but I am now actually thinking of sending it off to Robert and getting it further modified to the TS9 Deluxe specs. That would be pretty sweet...

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I had a Keeley TS9 mod+ and it was a good pedal, but nowhere near my new MJM blues devil for classic TS sounds. Its a good pedal, but I just thing the blues devil does it better. You can have him custom build an mxr sized one for a little extra cash too.