TBIAC on the way!

JC-Tonequest

Member
Messages
234
Well I just pulled the trigger on a Menatone TBIAC from www.thepedaler.com It should arrive on Monday. I can't wait! Anyone that has one want to post some setting or sound clips please do so. Also post descriptions of the tone and your setup.

Thanks
 

JC-Tonequest

Member
Messages
234
Well...I got my new TBIAC (6 knob) today and I have to say, I am not really blown away. Maybe I was expecting too much, but $235 for a pedal, I think you should expect alot. I am not giving up on it yet. I found a pretty usable setting, but it just seems like it get's mushy pretty easy. Does anyone have any recommended settings? I am using the top boost channel. I really don't have much use for the normal channel. It is really bland to me.
 

erksin

Senior Member
Messages
23,127
I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but isn't a TBIAC supposed to be 'mushy'? AC-30s are known for their spongy attack when pushed - sounds like the pedal is doing what it was designed to do..?
 

JC-Tonequest

Member
Messages
234
I wasn't so sure about the pedal at first, but now that I have had time to tweak I really like it. The controls are really interactive. Right now I am using the Bright channel mainly and my settings are as follows:

VOLUME: 10:00
TOP CUT: 12:00
BASS: 7:00
TREBLE: 2:00
BRILLIANT: 2:00

Any one else have any suggested settings?
 

Rollo Timbre

Member
Messages
374
I like the new TBIAC. For me, the Brilliant channel seems to take my favorite setting on the old TBIAC and makes it a even a little more chimey and dynamic sounding. I prefer the old Foxy Brown, as used for a low gain pedal, but the Normal channel on the new TBIAC has some cool uses as fatter lead pedal to balance with the Brilliant channel's chime.
 

JC-Tonequest

Member
Messages
234
The normal channel to me is thicker, but doesn't have enough chime. I stick with the brilliant channel. I would like to get the normal channel modded to more my liking.
 

screamingduck

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
3,056
Rollo,
I recently bought a used TBIAC 5 Knob and I love the
sound I am getting. However, I did kinda expect a bit
more "chime" than I seem to be able to tweak. It's not
really a huge concern as I can get the "chime" by adding
another pedal like a compressor or boost but I would
prefer to keep it simple and use only one pedal.
How much of a difference do you hear between the
5 and newer 6 knob TBIAC?
Thanks
MikeD
 

telemonk

Member
Messages
110
I think the gain on the new one is more refined. It doesn't get as dirty as quickly, it doesn't mush/fuzz out as quickly and it has a smoother, less harsh character. It also seems to fit in with the amp more. That said some folks still prefer the 5 knob's rougher sound....I thought the differences were more in the character of the gain then the chime factor...
 

Rollo Timbre

Member
Messages
374
Originally posted by screamingduck
Rollo,
I recently bought a used TBIAC 5 Knob and I love the
sound I am getting. However, I did kinda expect a bit
more "chime" than I seem to be able to tweak. It's not
really a huge concern as I can get the "chime" by adding
another pedal like a compressor or boost but I would
prefer to keep it simple and use only one pedal.
How much of a difference do you hear between the
5 and newer 6 knob TBIAC?
Thanks
MikeD
My favorite use for the TBIAC is using my strat's neck p/u with just the TBIAC. I think a bright p/u really brings out the sweetness of the pedal. I don't use the TBIAC for playing a real note infested lead, but more for melodic type leads. It's a very, very, very sweet pedal. The main difference I found between the 5 and 6 knob was not so much the sound, but just a very slight more expressiveness. The 6 knob has a little less of a compressed feel to allow for a little better reproduction of the pick/string transients. Both are great pedals. When I want to capture a fraction of the great emotive feel of George Harrison, it is my go-to box.
 

telemonk

Member
Messages
110
Originally posted by Rollo Timbre
My favorite use for the TBIAC is using my strat's neck p/u with just the TBIAC. I think a bright p/u really brings out the sweetness of the pedal. I don't use the TBIAC for playing a real note infested lead, but more for melodic type leads. It's a very, very, very sweet pedal. The main difference I found between the 5 and 6 knob was not so much the sound, but just a very slight more expressiveness. The 6 knob has a little less of a compressed feel to allow for a little better reproduction of the pick/string transients. Both are great pedals. When I want to capture a fraction of the great emotive feel of George Harrison, it is my go-to box.
Did you hear any differences in the feel of the gain rollo? I really thought the 6 knobber brilliant side was considerably smoother; not as "gainy" feeling.. Your definitly right on about the slightly less compressed feel...Maybe we're sayin' the same thing in a different way...:cool:
 

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,731
I'd agree that the 6 knobber is a bit smoother in its gain...The 5 knobber has a touch of grain and grit in the high end of the breakup that I really like. The Normal channel is cool, but I couldn't find a pracical use for it. I'd still like to try a four knob Foxey Brown some day after playing the Normal Channel though.
Overall, I think I slightly prefer the 5-knobber, but thats in hindsight....When I owned them both and ABed them, I could cope a tone so close to my fave 5 knoc TBIAC tone using the 6 knobber that I kept the 6. Now I have an AC30 and have moved on to other drives. But I still miss that ugly pink 5 knobber. Plus it has the weirdest artwork of all time. :D
 

telemonk

Member
Messages
110
Oh I forgot to mention....,DEFINITLY give it a try with an 18 volt adapter. It can handle 9-18 volts and if you go 18 it sounds...I dunno....More alive in some way. Give it a shot at 18 volts for sure....
 

screamingduck

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
3,056
Thanks to everyone for their input on the TBIAC. I would guess the reason
I'm not getting enough chime is due to my BF Super Reverb/Boogie MarkIIc+
rig. That being said, I really do like this pedal as well as the Dirty Blonde
which sounds very Bassman-like. I especially like the idea of running this
pedal at 18 volts. I already run my Fulldrive and OCD at 18v and it seems
to tighten up the sound, which works great for me as I am primarily not
a high gain player. I was looking for Beatle/Harrison tones with the TBIAC
and this pedal gives me a great place to start.
Thanks again for the great perspectives!!
 

Rollo Timbre

Member
Messages
374
Originally posted by telemonk
Did you hear any differences in the feel of the gain rollo? I really thought the 6 knobber brilliant side was considerably smoother; not as "gainy" feeling.. Your definitly right on about the slightly less compressed feel...Maybe we're sayin' the same thing in a different way...:cool:
Yeah, I think we are.(lol) On the 5 knob, I run the gain at about 1:00. If I remember correctly, with the 6 knob, the gain was there, but was brought out more with the picking hand. It's a very responsive pedal.
 

JC-Tonequest

Member
Messages
234
I tried running my 6 knob TBIAC at 18 volts last night and I actually prefer the sound of it at 9 volts. It had a lot more output to it at 18v, but it sounded fuzzier to me. Just my opinion.
 




Trending Topics

Top