TC Chorus Owner: Looking for Alternatives...Help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iim7v7im7, Jun 21, 2008.

1. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Hi,

I am a long-time owner of a TC Chorus + PMF (about 15 years) and I have been happy with the unit except for the fact that it required 110V AC to power it. A few weeks ago, I read a TGP post where someone was asking if this pedal was still "tops" among chorus pedals.

While reading this post I ran across a number of posters, some of who were past owners say that the unit shifted the tone when not in operation. I had never noticed this but spent some time today carefully A/B ing the sound.

This may have been a costly mistake. It does noticebly shifts some of the treble frequencies to my ears (Yikes!).

I spent some time reading through the board and there are 5 chorus pedals that I see frequently mentioned as not shifting tone and being good chorus pedals:
    1. DLS Effects Chorus Vibe
    2. Retro-Sonic CE-1
    3. Analogman Bi-Chorus
    4. Red Witch Emperess Chorus
    5. Diamond Halo Chorus
    My criteria are:
    • lush, yet sparkley chorus tone (no flange or other functions a must)
    • Quiet
    • A bypass that leaves tone intact
    • Can be powered by PP2+
    • Size is an influencial factor (but not an absolute)
    • Most typically will be used between a Barber Tone Press and a T-rex Replica played clean
    QUESTION:

Which one of these units should I consider and why? Or have I missed the boat and another pedal should be considered?

Thanks,

Bob

2. Alter

Alter Member

go with the analogman mini chorus

3. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

4. mowatsmith

mowatsmith Member

That's a sultry looking pedal. I want.

5. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Fulltone Choralflange

6. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

My suggestion is for either an Analogman Mini Chorus w/Mix Knob(option) or one of the EWS Mod Arion SCHZ/SCH-1 pedals distributed by ProSoundCommunications.com

The AM Mini is small, very quiet, has a 9v power tap, and with the Mix Knob option you can get as little or as much chorus as you want...very lush, fat, versatile chorus pedal.

The Arion pedal is really nice because it also has a Tone Control, it's true bypass, and it can also get some great vibrato sounds besides it's normal chewy type of chorusing...the original SCH-1's are used by a ton of pros(Clapton, Henderson, Landau, Michael Thompson etc)

7. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

+1
    I've tried to bump the ChoralFlange from my board for years and nothing has beat it for me.

8. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. The Fromel appears to be brand new and perhaps similar to the Retro-Sonic in its design (Old boss/roland circuit). So far, the Analogman Mini Chorus w/ blend control, Fulltone Choralflange and the Arion SCH-Z are what I have heard. I will look further into these, thanks.

I am particularly interested in hearing from former TC Chorus owners who have switched. After hearing the shift in my tone caused by the TC, I am extremely sensitive to avoiding this again in another purchase.

Thanks,

Bob

9. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

It hasn't bothered you for 15 years. Do you really need to change?

GAD

10. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

GAD,

That's an excellent question....maybe I should???

I had not noticed any effect on my tone and then recently, I spent some time A/B ing I did notice a difference that I do not like. I also recently went back to playing a brighter guitar (Tele) and I the change is somewhat more pronounced.

So in short, I am now aware of something that I was not aware of and its bothering me. I could leave it in line, you're right. I can dial in chorus tones that I like. I have just spent a good deal of money on cables, interconnects and other pedals with true bypasses to ensure the tone of my instrument is intact. If better technology exists today than did 15 years ago, I'm interested in remedying the problem (if possible).

I guess I could keep the pedal and add a bypass looper with a true bypass.

Bob

11. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

In the hifi audio realm, this is a common occurrence. You need to ask yourself a couple of questions IMHO.

1) Is the difference pronounced, or are you the only one that can hear it?

2) If the difference is pronounced to you, is it because you have refined your ear? That's what it sounds like since you were happy with it until someone told you not to be.

We all like to obsess about tone. This is the GEAR page after all, and we're here to discuss gear.

My advice is to be careful about wanting something because someone told you to want it. If you have to sit and A/B equipment with a critical ear to hear the difference, the difference might not be such a big deal.

As a case in point, I was very into headphone amps for a while. I bought way too many of them: http://www.gad.net/AudioVideo.html I finally came to the conclusion that they all sounded fantastic, and I only noticed the differences when I played them side by side. This is a dangerous game because there will always be something better.

If you feel this is a real problem then by all means take care of it. I know many people, myself among them to be honest, that once the idea is planted that there's a problem, it's really REALLY hard to let it go.

At some point SRV changed from an original TS-808 to a TS-9. Do you think anyone anywhere noticed except for him?

GAD

12. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I'd say if it didn't bother you until now just keep on keepin on...

Also, the Lush is a DC-2 clone and nothing like any other chorus pedal out there...at least not to my ears

I'll also add that the AnalogMan Bi Chorus is one of (if not THE) most versitile chorus pedals out there...it's simply a great unit with a lot of different sounds to be had.

13. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

I traded away my SCF, earlier this year. Having gone through several classic era Boss CE-2s, an Ibanez CE-9, a few Arion SCH-1s, an Univibe, and a Fulltone Choralflange, there were some things about the TC that the others couldn't match (clarity, quiet, etc.), yet something that I was always looking for that the TC didn't do.

If I had a complaint about the TC it was that it was too "hi fi" - almost clinical. There seemed to be a sterility about it, at times. In high gain settings, that's a great attribute. Otherwise, at times, it just seemed to lack "soul".

I have not tried the Analogman chorus pedals. I hear great things about them and I've enjoyed his mods on other pedals that I've owned. There are two chorus pedals that have impressed me:

EBS Red Twister. A near match for the TC's clarity, but with some soul. Of all the chorus pedals I've played with, it may be my favorite. A surprisingly (to some, I'd suppose) good and incredibly versatile pedal is Boss' CE-20. Maybe the most versatile chorus pedal I've ever tried and they can be had for a little above $100, used.

14. Alter

Alter Member

one other chorus that i liked a lot was the EBS UniChorus. small, really musical and not over the top sound. but i didn't spend enough time with it to really recommend it..

15. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Thanks to All,

I think that I am going to give the Analog.Man Mini Chorus (with the wet/dry knob) a try. The smaller footprint, true bypass and the blend feature (along with people liking the tone) influenced me to give it a try.

Best,

Bob

16. Goofball

Goofball Member

You can count me as a former TC user! :drink

I just got my Analogman BiChorus w/ deep switch and it knocked my TC off the board almost immediately. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about with the tone and the TC. It always sounded like somebody turned a faucet halfway off with my TC. And as soon as I plugged the BiChorus in, it sounded like my tone was flowing again!

I also agree that the TC is just a little too "hi-fi". I used to think it was the absolute best chorus ever but over the years, I've preferred my Keeley Boss CE-2 (On my other board). Don't get me wrong though, the TC still has a place and I will probably hold onto it for recording purposes. Even so, I've been wondering about some of these other, "newer", chorus pedals so I decided that I just HAD to start trying 'em out.

My short list choices were the Analogman, Red Witch, and the Retrosonic. I decided to go with A-man based on user reviews and clips. The other two are right up there and I may give them a shot at some point.

The BiChorus is pretty awesome and sounded unbelievable when I first plugged it in. I was absolutely 100% satisfied when I first got it (this past Friday). I will say, i used it at a gig on Friday night and it sounded a little different to my ears, not bad, just a little different. I don't know if the added volume or if disparities in power might have affected it. Didn't seem as lush as it did when I was trying it out solo. I might have been expecting it to be close to my CE-2, which honestly, can be too overpowering.

Again, didn't sound bad, just a little different. I still have many more hours to really suss out this pedal.

One last little thing - I was so jonesin' for the Bi Chorus w/ the deep switch that it was the only model I considered from Analogman. Even in two days, I now have to admit that it may be too much for my needs. My real estate is pretty cramped and I was hoping to start working on "the" phaser next. I found myself asking whether or not I really need the two chorus setting option. I might actually turn right around and sell the Bi Chorus and go after the Analogman Mini Chorus instead.

Anyway, hope some of that helped. I did want to chime in since it sounds like you are going through a similar situation with your TC.

17. emeka

emeka Member

Hi Bob-

It may be too late for this, but you might consider sacrificing a little space and get analogman's regular chorus with the deep switch. I have this pedal- it is very flexible, with normal/deep/thin modes, and although I have not owned a TC Chorus, he states on his site that the thin mode sounds a bit like the TC. If you really liked the sound of your TC this might get you closer to it...

You can also get a mix trimpot for something cheap, $10 or so, if that's a feature you're interested in. Enjoy your new chorus either way!

18. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

No, it's based on the DC-2, which is a completely different beast. It's cleaner and chimier than the DC2 too.
    That's me :)
    I ran the TC, then got a Boss DC-2 -- switched the TC over to just doing modulation on my delay channel. Both are now gone andreplaced with the Lush...it's really nice...
    But the AM is probably a safer bet as far as regular chorus goes...
    Although the Retro-Sonic does nail that old chorus sound too.

19. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Chorus thread are a lot of fun because what constitutes a good chorus is Soooooo subjective.

Here is my take on the issue:

AM Clone - One trick pony, but a really, really good trick

Red Witch Empress - Hard to tweak, but has some serious mojo (all of Ben's stuff has this).

DLS - a great chorus pedal, but very vanilla.... You can get a lot of different chorus's out of this one, but none (IMO) inspire - downside for sure - a very large box... (go ahead, fill in the joke...)

Fulltone Choralflange - like the DLS, and great chorus pedal (plus flanging!), but in a big box. I will say this, this pedal is #2 on my list of chorus pedals that cut through in a live mix. For example - I loved the AM Clone, but I felt the effect got buried on a live stage, but the Fulltone was clear and present.

My #1 choice - EBS Red Twister! Not made anymore, but IMO the best all around chorus pedal made. Small box - two chorusing modes - on board flanger, and the very best pedal I have found that does really, really thick chorusing without making me seasick. (BTW - the Flanger setting is killllller! Fat like Mama Cass....)

20. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Hi Emeka,

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the "deep switch" option which is available in the full sized AM chorus to gain the "thin mode" option, but the mini offers the external blend control (vs. the internal trim pot on the full sized unit) which attacted me more. I have pulled the trigger already, but thanks again for the thought.

Regards,

Bob