TC Chorus (still king?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jason Carter, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

Is the TC Chorus pedal still the king? I love the clean tone from this EJ Clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=htobScsOB70

I'm pretty sure it's the TC Chorus and an echoplex. I have the delay covered with a soon to arrive Deep Blue Delay. Is the TC Chorus the way to go for this tone or is there a new best of the best on the market.

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The TC chorus is totally badass, no doubt.
    For a refined chorus sound, it's hard to beat.

3. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I loved the TC Chorus sound but hated the way it colored the tone when it was off. It made everything sound kind of thin & metallic. I switched to a DLS ChorusVibe. It can nail that TC shimmer as well as a lot of other chorus/vibe/leslie tonesand it's true bypass so no tone suckage. The only drawbacks are the big footprint and it requires a 9V power supply. No batteries.

4. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

That is the kind of feedback I'm looking for.....thanks Bluewail

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

tc chorus has a very poor bypassed tone. When I contacted TC Support, I was told that I was wrong, that the bypass tone is totally transparent.

6. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

I have had a TC for about 15 years and find it to be a quiet pedal with great shimmery tones. But to be fair, I have not compared it to anything lately (years ago compared it to a quadraverb).

My ears have not noticed distinct tone suck when its not engaged (I have noticed with other pedals so I'm not totally deaf) but my ears may just not be as sensitive to such subtle tonal shifts. My main complaint with the unit is the 110V chord (only one I have).

Bob

7. katarzis

katarzis Member

+1.
    you should try the Diamond Halo chorus.
    1 of the best i tried.

8. gpro34

gpro34 Member

NO problem, stick it in a looper and you're golden. I liked the DLS also, but that was just too big for me. The TC is still my favorite for the shimmery clean sound. The Emperess had a setting I really enjoyed, but the rest were too out there for me and I couldn't justify keeping it for the one setting. One chorus I've been curious about is the three hound chorus by Homebrew. Does anyone know if this is thin/shimmery or thicker sounding?

9. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i own the tc chorus/flanger/pitch modulator pedal, its nice, but i bought, and use more, the arion sch-1 chorus, it might be of cheap construction but, i find it alot more richer and fuller that the tc when i ab'd them, i now never use the tc chorus.

just to add, when off, the arion chorus sucks tone bad, but all my pedals go through true bypass loopers, so it doesnt matter for me.

10. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Man, that's rich isn't it? Maybe you got the new guy, fresh in from Microsoft tech support :D

Question: Eric Johnson is such a tone fiend and yet he uses a chorus with tone suck? I have one of these and I agree with you all -- I have mine in a little Radial loop box -- but I've often wondered about this. He uses the TC (non TB, tone suck), tube driver (great sound but a bit noisy), vintage crybaby (non TB, tone suck?). And those vintage fuzz faces?! Has he modded these things? Seems odd he'd put up with things that would colour his tone that regular people can hear when he gets so bent out of shape about the effects of baseplate screws, trem arm cavity covers, and sock colour on his tone...

After a couple of days of noodling, looks like my favourite chorus is moving over to jfromel's lush anyway though...

11. sfletch

sfletch Member

I still think Andy Summers got some of the most wicked chorus tones ever...a friend recently told me that those tones were achieved by mic'ing each speaker of a JC-120 with sm57s. Don't know if I believe it.

I still like the Boss Digitial Dimension C pedal. I've wanted to love the T.C. because of its pedigree...but it never clicked for me.

12. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

EJ keeps everything in true bypass loops, except for his fuzzfaces - they were true bypass from day one.

13. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Hi all: I have had a TC since about 1989 or 90. It indeed is the most lush, deep sounding chrorus I have tried.

However - I A/B'd it with a Prisoner and found the Prisoner -at stage level - cut through the mix the best while retaining its analog feel; by contrast the TC got a little mushy. i know that there could be tons of reasons why this happened that I may not have accounted for. But I don't use chorus much, just to add depth to clean chording.

It sure is possible that Chorus afficionados could tweek the TC better than I and I believe the TC is the best for recording. Note: I have also tried the DLS.

Thanks all.

14. raz

raz Member

It never was. THIS is the king (and Fuller ain't lyin'):

[​IMG]

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

What is that thing?
    It looks like the 80's in a dual rackmount.
    I kinda' want it- I bet it's expensive (and rare?).

16. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

Hands down the DLS chorus-vib is the most organic
    chorus on the market

17. zachman

zachman Senior Member

18. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Someone loves flaunting their rack in other peoples faces...

:D

19. gillibi

gillibi Member

Sorry but the only thing I've ever seen EJ put in a bypass loop is the EH Memory Man. Everything else is not TB as far as I know......FF, Tube Driver, TC Chorus, Echoplexes, wah, and Dynacomp probably all have their original bypasses since Eric doesn't like to mod things.

20. future2future

future2future Member

Exactly my experience: Great Chorus tone, but ****** when turned off, makes your sound thin