TC Elec Mini HOF versus regular Hall of Fame reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BenoA, Apr 18, 2015.

1. BenoA

BenoA Member

Sorry if this has been already discussed. I can't seem to find an answer.

I'm looking for an affordable sounding good reverb. Checked a few clips and really like the mini HOF. Is there a real difference between the mini and the regular HOF except for the knobs and size?

Thanks for the replies/comments

2. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

3. BenoA

BenoA Member

Thx captain! Any other reverb options I should be checking in that price range?

4. tigerfan2

tigerfan2 Member

My understanding is that the mini only works with tone prints while the full size has pre loaded selectable options plus the tone print.

5. tigerfan2

tigerfan2 Member

Oh as far as other options what kind of reverb are you looking for?

6. minty901

minty901 Member

mini cant do stereo

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

-used a mini HOF a ton today in guitar lessons with my tube amp and it sounds great. I'm quite happy with the stock spring verb sound too. I like the size and sound. Haven't tried any tone prints with it and don't know if I will, honestly. I just wanted a natural verb to add a little depth and not get in the way. I set it and forget it.

8. BenoA

BenoA Member

Thanks everyone for the reply. No need for stereo and mostly looking for a good plate and spring reverb. I don't need any weirdo reverb FX. So from what I read above, I think a mini HOF would probably be perfect, once I will ahve found my tone, it will be set and forget. :)

9. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Also no trails on the mini - which is almost a dealbreaker for me.

10. minty901

minty901 Member

hall of fame is crap for spring. if spring is important for you then i urge you to look elsewhere. check the new holy grail neo. holy grail spring is good, as is plate.

11. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I agree that the spring reverb is terrible. However, the plate reverb sounds about as close as I could ask to the spring reverb in my Allen Encore. So I'm happy.

12. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

:agree If you want a "set and forget" and get the right tone print (plates are good, but there are others), then the mini is great. If you want to play around with your reverb sound on the fly, then you need the big unit (as it switches between types) or a competitor. Trying to do toneprint changes in a gig is a non starter.

13. Takk

Takk Member

This. You can choose true bypass (no trails) or buffered bypass (w/trails) on regular Hall of Fame but HOF mini has no buffered bypass option.
    And HOF mini can't do kill dry which regular model can.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Anyone happen to know what the stock reverb patch on the mini pedal is? I thought it was a spring, but whatever it is, it sounds good to me. I may experiment with a few toneprints, but want to know what that default one is to get back to it.

On mine there is no audible effect until you get to about 9 o'clock and then it comes on fast, there's a small window there before it gets too wet. But it sounds great. I just want to tape the knob down and leave it, works and sounds good to me, my two biggest requirements being the pedal is absolutely doesn't change tone at all, and can handle hot levels. I love TC stuff, seems to sound very transparent compared to Boss and Digitech which always give me a more sterile/digital tone even when not using an effect.

15. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I'm pretty sure it's the stock 'Hall' algorithm.

16. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I moved to a smaller pedalboard and bought myself a HoF Mini to help downsize my existing HoF. I've since made the space available to put my full sized HoF back on the board.

The thing I can't cope with on the HoF mini is that I cannot change the effect level and decay separately, whereas I can on the full size pedal. Maybe there is a toneprint which allows that, or some way to program it differently, but it doesn't work as well for me.

I hope what I'm saying is clear - sometimes I want more reverb, but not a much longer decay. However, sometimes I want more decay but not a huge amount extra effect level. On a Fender amp, changing the knob seems to take care of both at the same time, but on my HoF Mini, moving the single knob didn't work so well to my ears. At least it didn't give me what I was looking for.

Just my 5 cents worth.

17. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

One knob pedals are great......

18. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Not sure if it would be helpful to you, but you can assign multiple functions (up to 3) to the single knob using the toneprint editor. So, for example, you can have the reverb level increase, while keeping the decay time constant, or even decreasing it. Can also control pre-delay, modulation, etc. It's pretty cool, imo.