TC Elec Sub n Up

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Paul Conway, May 3, 2016.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Colour me interested. The Hermans demo sounds great.

As long as there is no knob latency as found on the Hypergravity (a pedal I otherwise love). Really shouldn't have been released with such a glitch. Still: onwards....

2. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

It looks <yawn> cool. I'd like to <yaaawn> try it out. Wow, I just can't stop yawning today. Another Toneeprint pedal? Yawn.

3. Jeric

Jeric Member

Does anyone else get the impression that TC has lazy design? Idk.

4. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

Yup^^absolutely.

This pedal seems half-baked. I think TonePrint needs to be phased out soon really.

5. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

There's still so much untapped potential with the TP series, though!

- Expand the X2 series
    - Modulation X4

Get on it, @Tore TC ! (Pretty please.)

hippieboy, Hector Arcadius and Roe like this.
  6. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

looks good to me... smaller than my Pog2 more flexible than a micro Pog.. idk the price but I'm guessing it's lower than EQD Organizer. I will check it out.

7. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

I think I heard $129 somewhere

I'd be more interested if they had plans to do a mini version, but word is that won't happen

8. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I'd say theres definitely a market for this. Clips sound just as good as any pitch pedal I've heard.

9. Brian Gilmour

Brian Gilmour Member

I think we're to the fact that this is now Tc's pedal design from here on out. They found their "Boss tried and true" pedal form and I don't think they're going to change. Just make them built like a tank. I don't see vintage 2012 tc pedals 30 years from now though.

10. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

i dig the demos...but I also dig my modded micro pog...

11. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

I'm all about the Digitech Ricochet.

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  12. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have tried several tone print pedals and I find the tone less than inspiring on all of them...

I don't need tons of sounds or massive flexibility I need a good non-tone sucking bypass and great tone when I kick the pedal on...I also need a smaller footprint and some of these pedals are so massive I would need to upgrade to a larger pedalboard...

I have been looking for an octave pedal and it is really tough...the analog pedals I have tried have poor tracking and are monophonic and digital pedals often have bad bypass (buffers) tone or digital or metallic artefacts...

I am interested in this pedal from it feature set...not because of the tone print option...

The T-rex Octavious also looks really good and Burg's demo is great but I have not been able to find one in stock to try before buying...

13. Jeric

Jeric Member

It seems like a cool pedal but it won't even remotely kick my tender octaver off my board.

The only other octave pedal that currently interests me is the Walrus Luminary but I don't have $300+.

gibs5000 and CEFlint like this.
  14. minty901

minty901 Member

why? why is extra customisation a bad thing? you know you arent forced to used toneprint?

Jhuttyhut, hippieboy and Otter359 like this.
  15. weyllandin

weyllandin Member

This really sounds great. I'm all for octavers, but I could not justify chipping out 200+ euros for a pog or pitchfork just yet. I recently had an EQD PitchBay, but the latency on that one was unbearable for my uses. Demos sound good for the TC pedal, and although I'm with you in that the pedal design gets a bit boring, I think this thing looks sufficiently cool. I'm definitely interested, although I'm not keen on the toneprint thing either. Still, it's nice to have. If the price tag is not too steep in Germany, I might just get one. Does anybody know when it will be available here? None of the shops I checked out seems to have it listed.

About the true bypass thing @Seegs ... If anything "sucks your tone", it's running a full true bypass pedalboard actually switched to true bypass, with 6m leads to the board and from board to amp, since long leads actually act as a low pass filter, cutting your highs. A buffer prevents that from happening (it somewhat "breaks" the length of a lead at the point where the buffer is placed, so you have two 6m leads instead of one 12m lead). A (true bypass) pedal switched on acts as a buffer. If you have problems with tone suck in your setup, try a pedal that features buffered bypass (like e.g. all Boss compact pedals, many TC pedals, all reverbs and delays that feature "trailing repeats" etc.). The coloration from buffered pedals you have heard might actually be due to the highs being "restored" (or rather not cut in the first place). I don't know about the sub'n'up, but all other tone print pedals I tried feature internal dip switches to switch from true to buffered bypass, and the buffers are great in those (never heard any coloration in an A/B test). No offense, though. I just have the feeling there are widely spread misconceptions about buffering, true bypass and resulting tone suck. If you know all this, I might have gotten you wrong and apologize for schooling you ;)

16. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

The toneprint hate is more emotional than anything- especially since it is a completely nonessential feature that can be totally ignored.

Maybe some boutique-ir-bust people need to feel special and find the concept of a digital "pedal for the masses" distasteful.

When you take the time to listen to even Strymon v. TC demos... it is obvious that TC wins the value equation.

This octave pedal is obviously very solid sounding, flexible, well built and affordable.

17. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I love the old style monophonic octacve down like Boss OC-2, so this doing that + modern poly is great. I'll buy one for sure.

18. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

[​IMG]

Sorry, I still can't see what this pedal can do that a POG or similar octave pedal can't.

19. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

It's cheaper, has an EQ via TonePrint, and is in a smaller form factor. If it sounds good, it beats the Nano/Micro POG for sure, and possibly the POG2 depending how you use it

hippieboy and maxx77 like this.
  20. minty901

minty901 Member

To add to what's been said... you can add modulation effects as well to make less traditional octave sounds.

hippieboy and AnalogKid85 like this.