TC Electronic Flashback 2 X4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Holy Drinker, Jul 26, 2019.

1. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

2. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

Can you store loops? My only criticism of the FlashbackX4. Nothing in the link about it so I'd guess no.

3. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, doubtful.

4. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Praise & Western Silver Supporting Member

5. coltonius

TC’s version was the Nova Delay/Repeater. They were sort of expanded one trick ponies..

The Flashback X4 isn’t much larger than the DL4, and I have never seen a criticism about the DL4's size to date. It has MIDI (albeit poorly implemented) and expandability via TonePrints.. I just don’t see how it’s possible to make the X4 series smaller without further compromising the bare bones “super delay” structure that it is. Pedals like the Walrus Fathom with footswitches right on top of each other are nearly impossible to use in a live setting anyway. :dunno

I suppose the solution to your desire for a smaller X4 would be a Flashback X2; TC already has the enclosure, and the PCBs are able to be outfitted according to which programs (or engines) that go inside.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  6. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

I guess they wanted to keep the 4 switches for ease of use, instead of less switches or 4 switches on a smaller box. The price is really good but I agree with some of the comments that it is larger than I’d like and, despite the size it doesn’t have enough controls on the pedal itself. I love the Toneprint editor and everything it offers but I’d want to have a little more control on the pedal without an editor.

Something I find interesting is that they didn’t make a Triple Delay 2. It would be way easier to justify the size if this could run 3 delays at once.

7. coltonius

First there was Flashback X4, then came the Triple about a year later. I’m sure they’ll get around to it, but it’s worth noting we still haven’t seen word of a HoF 2 X4 beyond the teaser box some guy posted a little while back.

Bucksears likes this.
  8. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

Everyone complains about the size of the X4, weird part is how much bigger the box is than the board inside, and how much extra board there is around the components

blackba likes this.
  9. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Praise & Western Silver Supporting Member

There have been comments about the size of the FB4/AE4 since they came out. I tried one and it was too big for my small setup. The main drawback of the Repeater vs. the Nova Delay was the lack of presets on the former. The Repeater was the right size, more versatile and sounded better.

10. coltonius

Sorry, I meant that I don't see any criticism about the DL4's size. Although, that could just be that it's old hat. :dunno

As for the empty components, I believe (with good reason) that design allows TC to outfit it in accordance with each X4 pedal's needs. In other words, you can't trick a Flashback X4 into functioning like a Flashback Triple- or a Ditto X4, for that matter. They each have different component requirements which can be executed without an entire board re-design. (This is common practice among boutique builders from Lovepedal to Menatone and Bearfoot. In other words, any company that has various similar-ish pedals.)

It seems I was unclear. I meant I haven't seen criticisms of the DL4's size, and the two are virtually identical in that regard. I won't deny it's huge for what it does, but I view the space between footswitches as a positive, in that it can be sometimes difficult to find the correct footswitch on a crowded pedalboard. Add darkness to the equation and let the fun commence!

I gigged with this board setup for two years (it's approximately 13"x12"), which definitely called for careful consideration on what filled in the space around it. The delay was important to me because I don't know of anything that does exactly what the FB Triple can do- at least not as simply..

[​IMG]

It all comes down to what matters most, I suppose. Would I gig a Flashback X4 again? Probably not, as I use a Nemesis now. The X4/Triple is still a fun delay to keep around. ;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  11. OmegaWAve

OmegaWAve Member

I am just wondering how long the delay time is, especially tape now that the quality has been improved. Also, are stereo effects like ping-pong only applicable to the 2290 setting? Does anyone know?
    I am really just in the market for a minimum of 2 seconds of good stereo MIDI controlled tape emulated delay. Is the big green box with no display really my only option?

12. kramm47

kramm47 Member

My regular FB has a delay time of 7 seconds. I would imagine this is the same.

I actually use the MASH thing. I'd love them to do a FB Mini 2 and a HoF Mini 2. A single TP slot, or two, with MASH? I'd buy both immediately.

I know a couple guys who gig an X4. They make it work. I use some TC stuff but my gigs are super tame. I wouldn't want to do rock gigs in the dark with the MASH footswitches.

coltonius likes this.
  13. OmegaWAve

OmegaWAve Member

You'd think so but apparently it's not the case:
    https://community.musictribe.com/t5/Musician/Flashback-2-Delay-Time/td-p/97584

800 ms limit in Tape and Analog modes which means out of contention in my book.
    So where I'd imagine the degradation of both types would require less from the hardware, they now try to emulate that degradation so well that it ends up requiring a lot more. On the contrary with a good old tape machine you could halve the speed for double delay time at half the quality - the irony of digital I suppose.

Anyway, no Flashback for me, I'll keep searching. The funny thing is that in the plugin world my requirements are no problem at all.

kramm47 likes this.
  14. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I'll pay someone to re-cut this video, to edit out his talking, and the cat shirt.

So much incredible gear, but I can't make it past 30 seconds of him yapping.

drifterphase likes this.
  15. coltonius

TonePrint Editor, señor. First, you load the Tape algo, then drag the “max delay time” out ‘til your heart’s content.

16. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

I have a regular flashback and I'm thinking about upgrading, so the x4 can only use 1 delay at a time (unless you make your own toneprint) and the triple can use all 3?

17. coltonius

Even with the TonePrint it’s one algo at a time on the X4. Flashback Triple can do 3 at the saaaame time (series or parallel).

Jim Marciano likes this.
  18. Blooby

Blooby Member

I loved some of the sounds on the version 1 of this, but the buttons proved spotty at gigs. I would engage the delay, and sometimes, my guitar would drop out. Frustrating.

19. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Flashback X2 please!

coltonius likes this.
  20. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Anyone got one yet? I'm keen on the 2290 and 2290 Mod sounds. I take it you can reduce the mod on the app.