TC Electronic G-Major Advice

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by donbarzini, Jun 9, 2006.

1. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I am presently awaiting my new amp which is a 50W Aiken Intruder. Presently, I am playing mostly at home so I want to go with a multiple effects unit and only use my stomp OD pedals in front of the amp. The Intruder has an effects loop where I would place the G-Major. Does the G-Major do a pretty good job of matching the volume of the amp's loop? I know the Intruder does not have send and receive levels at the loop so I am wondering if the G-Major can do a good match with it's volume controls. Besides being a fully digital rack unit, do the delays and reverbs compete with any of the TC floor effects? I'm curious to know. Thanks.

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I'm using a G-Major with my CAE OD-100 in the loop and it's great. Not exactly the same quality as a 2290 but hey...the punters don't mind.
    It has totally programmable input/output levels and can handle professional level input without clipping. In short, you could do worse.

3. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Thanks Stressfest,

I just went ahead and ordered one. I'm looking forward to having the option of trying out different FX without having to purchase several stomps which most of the time don't work well in the loop where they should be anyway.

4. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I had bad luck trying to get the G-Major to work properly in my Two-Rock FX loop. If I remember correctly I could not get enough input into the unit to sound good.

5. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Is the Two Rock loop a parallel one, or serial? That makes a big difference IMHO. I've used one with the Sabre, no problem with levels. Now use the Lexicon MPX550 for the red channel, again no problem with level matching. Just setup the G-Major for line level stuff, and remember all the factory presets are padded at -6db. You have to boost these to -0db to get to unity. Then make sure you save the preset because the levels are preset specific, meaning if you change presets, you might change the output. Works like a charm. You need a Y cable, 1/4" TRS (stereo) plug into two 1/4" TS (mono) plugs. Easy, peasy, Ja..... well, its an easy fix. :puh

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

Mine didn't work well at all in my '80s JCM 800 loop, even with the adjustments to their max. A mixer helped with the signal miss-match, but it ended up being a bit noisey.

7. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Matt,

thanks for the information. I have a couple of Mogami single TRS to dual mono TS cables at home that should work with the Aiken loop. I was thinking about the Sabre myself but I wanted more of an old JMP/Plexi vibe so I decided on the Intruder.

8. Matt Gordon

In the immortal words of Nepoleon Dynamite, Sweeeeet! Tonal heaven.

9. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Matt,

So I take it I made a good choice in my amp decision? It was either the Intruder or rolling the dice and trying to find an old JMP that was up to par and having it then modified for an FX Loop, which i really didn't want to do. The Intruder should be here in a couple weeks, the G-Major, a couple days.

10. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I have been using the G-major in the loop of an SLO-100 for a while now without any problems. Just check if the loop is +4 or -10 and match the G-major to it and take it from there. Between the in and out levels you should not have a problem matching the level.

11. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

I didn't have any problems with matching levels on the Aiken Sabre, but I didn't like the sound of the TC and got rid of it.
    Also while using it one of the knobs fell off..poor quality in my opinion.
    E.B.

12. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Yes, I heard about some quality problems with the unit but I figured since I won't be carting it around, it should be at least ok in one spot. The reason why I chose the TC is becasue supposedly it is more transparent than other FX units. I was also considering the Lexicon MPX550 but it seems to be more studio oriented and not specifically made for guitar. A guitar player I heard live, Jon Levin, more of the harder rock genre had a real good tone. It turns out he uses the G-Major. His quote:

"The only effect I run is a TC Electronics G Major effect unit through the two DSL heads. I leave the JCM 900 dry. I like the G-Major because it is the only unit I have ever heard that doesn't alter the natural sound of the amps when it is plugged in"

13. Matt Gordon

I kinda liked the G Major, but we got popped by a lightening strike and it was never the same. I liked the delays and the EQ option which the Lexicon doesn't have, and I kinda agree that it's not so much guitar oriented. The G Major is definitely a guitar effect. I had some great patches that I tweaked until perfection (with my ham hands that is) so I know it does some cool stuff. I think you're ok as long as its protected in a rack. The MPX550 is what I use now, but the Sabre's EQ is so perfect that, it becomes a little overkill to have it in the loop, so the lack of it doesn't matter. I just totally love the Sabre. It sounds so damned good, makes you cheat your sleep cycle to get more time with it, and I've been late to work because of it. I just can't turn it off. I have cheapo guitars, so my next big purchase will be a decent guitar. I thought about buying one again if they would have fixed the issues I had, but to my knowledge - outside the OS update - it's still the same thing. Just protect it, you know, don't kick it around! :p

14. Rich T Fingers

Rich T Fingers Member

I have A G-Major running with the effects loop in a Boogie. Works great, sounds great. Only thing you have to be careful about is to watch those levels, originally I kept getting feedback from the G-Major until I realised that the IO levels needed some attention. As Matt noted it's easy to do.
    The sounds are great, especially the chorus which is far superior than any stompbox I've used.

15. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Thanks for the info guys. I already found a guy to make me a custom single space rack that will match my amp head and sit right on top. Should be cool.

16. gulliver

gulliver Member

For anyone who cares, here's an Excel speadsheet I put together for the G-Major. It allows you to manually write your settings and it comes with a master setting.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeoicc8/gmajor/

17. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

The G-Major arrived yesterday, I don't have my new amp yet but I ran it through my Mackie mixer's send and return. Just strumming some clean stuff with my '57 reissue strat, the FX sound very sweet. I really like having the available tuner on the LCD screen as well. I've only tried out the factory presets so far but I can already tell that this thing should be exactly what I was looking for. Just an OD flavor of the month combined with my RC Booster in front of the amp and the G-Major for any FX in the amp's loop, cool!

18. Matt Gordon

I think you will enjoy the quickness of preset loading, and easy program setting as well as channel switching options. It has a lot of things the other just miss. My TC tracked much better than my Lexi MPX550 for pitch stuff. The difference isn't even close. My Lexi sounds much like the Boss octave stuff, but my TC was tracking almost in real-time. It responded really fast.

19. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I set up my G Major today with my Aiken Sabre rig.
    What Y cable should I get to run the unit into both channel fx loops. The Aiken has two separate TRS type single input efx loops.
    If I run stereo out into mono for each channel, I cant get any chorus happening for either channel. If I run into one efx loop at a time, the chorus and other modulated efx are fine. I'm wondering if I go out stereo, and stay in stereo (x2) to both loops, then I should be fine.
    Am I making sense here, or not?
    A little help! :)
    S.
    j

20. zodiactone

zodiactone Supporting Member

I've used a G-Major for a while now. My biggest problem with it, is that I can't get my Midimate and G-Major to sync up. So using the midimate and expression pedal for the Octave settings is out of the question. But all in all it's not a bad set up depending on what you like.

zodiac