TC Electronic Nova Delay is the best...

joe*w

...for LIVE use

Manual mode is awesome (but has options for presets)
BPM display
Tap Tempo
Small (ish) footprint
So easy to adjust on the fly
Can easily tell what your settings are when in manual mode

I wish they would come out with a similar pedal design, but with toneprint.

Currently have the Boss DD-500 and TC Alter Ego on board, but the Nova Delay isn’t far away if I ever need it again.

What is your favorite LIVE delay pedal and why?

ry-guy

Timeline. I just know how it works.

The Nova for me was the opposite. I could never find the right place for the mix knob live. There would either be too much delay or not enough.

Different strokes

joe*w

I’ve had the Nova Delay on my board for years. Got a Boss DD-500 about a year ago. It’s too complicated for me, but I’m forcing myself to learn it. It has some amazing sounds in it.

Frank67

The Nova is a really really nice delay. If they had only given it MIDI with a few more presents it would have been perfect. I think it sounds very good, is easy to use, stereo, msec or bpm display ... really, nothing to not like about it.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The nova delay is very good, but has its shortcomings.
For me, I did not like that the analog setting stayed very pristine/digital. And having to scroll through presets instead of instant access is a compromise, although it is nice to be able to define the preset list/number of presets.

joe*w

The nova delay is very good, but has its shortcomings.
For me, I did not like that the analog setting stayed very pristine/digital. And having to scroll through presets instead of instant access is a compromise, although it is nice to be able to define the preset list/number of presets.

I liked it for its manual mode. Never did use the presets.

chrisr0712

It was the 1st delay that did some specific things I wanted/needed. BPM readout/ presets and subdivisions (including the quarter + .8th dual)
I still have 2 of them even though I eventually went El Cap + Timeline. The only thing I thought it lacked was a better modulation on the repeats.

Had a Nova Delay for a bit. Delay was nice and clear. IIRC, there were certain elements of the presets that could not be saved on either odd or even slot numbers. That or odd or even times were always tied to global tap tempo? Whatever it was drove me bonkers. I also hated the modulation, which I believe is a chorus or vibrato at the start of the delay time rather than modulating the delay time itself. Given those things, I had to let it go.

It's a bit boring for me to say it, but my live favorite is the Timeline. I know the UI like the back of my hand, the boost/cut is indispensable to me, and I live on the dual delay setting. The DD-500 might be second, it's got boost/cut as well but the increments are wider, which is less useful IME. But really I like multiple delays live, managed by MIDI.

tanee

Silver Supporting Member
I loved my Nova Delay and Nova Repeater. SO much that I owned each version at least 3 times (6 times total). I just keep going back to them! The only thing that dethroned them was/is the strymon el capistan.

Guppie

I've always have a weakness for TC delays and the Nova line is affordable, practical and sounds amazing. For delay it has been dethroned by a Digitech Timebender. 8 presets (actually 4 but per preset you can sweep between two sounds with an expression pedal). This is the most versatile and action packed delay ever but that seems to distract from the fact that the different delays actually sound REALLY good. Especially the reverse delay. Best ever!

oxtone

I've used my iB Modified Nova Delay for years - love it! The 9 presets are perfect for the worship gigs I do. It always sounds
great, and is easy to dial in the delay times.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom