TC Electronic Nova Delay is the best...

joe*w

It was the 1st delay that did some specific things I wanted/needed. BPM readout/ presets and subdivisions (including the quarter + .8th dual)
I still have 2 of them even though I eventually went El Cap + Timeline. The only thing I thought it lacked was a better modulation on the repeats.
I agree about the modulation.

tanee

Silver Supporting Member
Did anyone have any experience with the iB modified version vs the original? I was always intrigued but never got around to getting one.

Brian Gilmour

Did anyone have any experience with the iB modified version vs the original? I was always intrigued but never got around to getting one.

Any of the newer units that came in the blue and white box(originals were in a long black box) are the iB modified version without the red faceplate. Never had a original one but I think the only difference worth mentioning was that the buffer was dramatically improved in the iB/newer units. It allowed you to calibrate the pedal with high gain distortions much better.

Not sure how many people ignored the calibrate function and dismissed the pedal. Everytime I got a new fuzz, muff or overdrive I would recalibrate mine. I never used the preset option but did find it cumbersome. If it had a analog dry path it would have been the last delay I bought. A Boss LS-2 solved that problem for a while but it was just a pedal taking up space for one function.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
The Nova is a really really nice delay. If they had only given it MIDI with a few more presents it would have been perfect. I think it sounds very good, is easy to use, stereo, msec or bpm display ... really, nothing to not like about it.

imo two things kept it from being perfect:

- a/d conversion (no analog dry through coupled with a not-so-great input buffer in the original version)
- lack of a proper looping function which IMO is a must on any delay from the last 10+ years

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Too bad it converts your whole signal to digital.
Well, Nova delay still sounds better to my ears than, say, the Flashback which is analog dry through pedal. If TC Electronics will ever decide to reissue Nova delay with high quality analog dry path this could be an improvement. But I doubt it will ever happen.

tanee

Silver Supporting Member
Well, Nova delay still sounds better to my ears than, say, the Flashback which is analog dry through pedal. If TC Electronics will ever decide to reissue Nova delay with high quality analog dry path this could be an improvement. But I doubt it will ever happen.

I wonder if that's their plans with the 2290 reissue?

tanee

Silver Supporting Member
Any of the newer units that came in the blue and white box(originals were in a long black box) are the iB modified version without the red faceplate. Never had a original one but I think the only difference worth mentioning was that the buffer was dramatically improved in the iB/newer units. It allowed you to calibrate the pedal with high gain distortions much better.

Not sure how many people ignored the calibrate function and dismissed the pedal. Everytime I got a new fuzz, muff or overdrive I would recalibrate mine. I never used the preset option but did find it cumbersome. If it had a analog dry path it would have been the last delay I bought. A Boss LS-2 solved that problem for a while but it was just a pedal taking up space for one function.

Is there a way to know when being used besides the box? Model/serial number??

Brian Gilmour

The label is different on the bottom of the pedal. I know the newer ones have a cheap looking white label. The originals may have had a black TC/Helicon label. I can’t find a pic of a older one at the moment.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Company started to install iB modified input buffer to the standard edition Nova Delay since January 2012 (serial number higher than 9091796). I've got my Nova delay in 2016 (sn 9103336) and it sounds quite good to my ears. Never had a chance to try original Nova 2007.

Last edited:

Tootone

The Timeline is excellent live, anything you need to frig in the heat of battle is on the top panel.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
The label is different on the bottom of the pedal. I know the newer ones have a cheap looking white label. The originals may have had a black TC/Helicon label. I can’t find a pic of a older one at the moment.
It seems original Nova has to label at all on the back.

JMMP1

I haven’t pulled my Nova delay out in awhile, but if iB modification started in 2012, the box trick isn’t correct. Mine came in a blue and white box, and I bought it new in 2009. I’m not sure if it has any labels on the bottom.

tanee

Silver Supporting Member
Company started to install iB modified input buffer to the standard edition Nova Delay since January 2012 (serial number higher than 9091796). I've got my Nova delay in 2016 (sn 9103336) and it sounds quite good to my ears. Never had a chance to try original Nova 2007.

Woah, this is incredibly helpful, thank you!

tanee

Silver Supporting Member
Don't want to upset you much but I expect the 2290 reissue to be more in the Flashback vein.

Time will tell, I'm pretty hopeful though. Behringer has been getting really good at cloning well regarded gear, have you paid attention to the controversial Behringer Model D based off of the Moog Minimoog Model D? Apparently sounds pretty identical and it's incredibly cheap (sub $300!). If Behringer can do that, I'm confident they can reissue the 2290 faithfully.

Maybe I should post this in the 2290 thread though.. haha!

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
I haven’t pulled my Nova delay out in awhile, but if iB modification started in 2012, the box trick isn’t correct. Mine came in a blue and white box, and I bought it new in 2009. I’m not sure if it has any labels on the bottom.
Red face iB modified Nova special edition was released in October 2011 and stayed in production till around May 2012. The standard pedal with upgraded input buffer was released in Jan 2012. If you pedal was made in 2009 it must be the original version (no label on the back).

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Time will tell, I'm pretty hopeful though. Behringer has been getting really good at cloning well regarded gear, have you paid attention to the controversial Behringer Model D based off of the Moog Minimoog Model D? Apparently sounds pretty identical and it's incredibly cheap (sub $300!). If Behringer can do that, I'm confident they can reissue the 2290 faithfully.

Maybe I should post this in the 2290 thread though.. haha!
Yep, I've checked it. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Behringer Model D is nowhere near Moog Model D Reissue or original synth. That's why I expect them to do the same with 2290.
BTW I didn't expect Moog to do such a great job on Model D Reissue. I didn't think they still can do it. Kudos to them!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom