TC Electronic Plethora X5

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratamania, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Electric I

Electric I Member

Yessiree.

Oh hey... anyone here contemplating a small midi device for scrolling Boards ?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. Drumboy

Drumboy Member

It doesn't have top-layer access to pedal controls like a real pedal. It should have knobs or something dedicated to each "pedal" for this purpose.

I would rather they loaded it with five pedals for $399, then sell additional downloads of other pedals for, say, $25 ea.

3. Drumboy

Drumboy Member

Yep. My thoughts exactly. Since this is an "extras" (modulation and reverbs) device, I'll just use my $500 budget to buy a few dedicated pedals that will more than fulfill my "extras" needs. At $399 I would have been forced to buy it. I think the business people at TC got overexcited by the apparent overexcitement in the forums and overestimated how much we are willing to overspend for additional effects over and above what we actually need! :)

4. stratamania

stratamania Member

Well it is not a single pedal, its not really a Multi-FX either more a modulation, delay and reverb box. But each pedal does have controls, the pedal selected to edit you use the top controls, select another pedal and the same controls are used. Its not very likely you are going to be turning knobs on two pedals at the same time unless you have more hands available. So I cannot see that as a problem for most practical use.

If you spent $399 and then bought four additional pedals at $25 you already equal what the unit costs. Are you sure that is really good value when you can buy it once and have the whole shebang and updates of additional pedals as they become available.

I am not even sure I will get one of these but I would like to see the idea made bigger into a G-System type Plethora System.

The Plethora X5 seems to be a good option for someone who has drive pedals and wants something fairly portable and simple to use for mods, delays and verbs and more flexibility than a simple delay pedal as you can store a number of boards with different toneprints and settings. I might get one to make a small board with.

JunkGear likes this.
  5. jabps

jabps Member

Agree with what several others have said, $399 and I would have bought it in fact I went to buy it and saw the price hike. It's just a no go at that price point. And I rarely get bent out of shape on price of items, I mean I'm waiting to buy the Neo Mini but TC really needs to rethink this.

6. Dr. Chang

Dr. Chang Member

Same, was planning on buying @ $399.00 to tinker with when not gigging my mainstay effects. With the price hike, I'll just stick to my Nova System and Toneprint pedals when I want to fool with TC.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  7. TonePilot

TonePilot Member

Madmax25 likes this.
  8. JPCordingley

JPCordingley Member

I still am very excited by this. I'm not really a multi-fx kind of guy so none of the Helix/POD stuff grabs my attention. But I was intending on buying 3 TC pedals in the near future. So to get pretty much all of their Toneprint range for the cost of 3-4 of them (I'd probably sell my Sub N Up to help finance it) appeals to me.

I live in the UK and they hadn't disclosed price in £s until they started appearing for sale. I assumed it would be the same as the $ and € prices (because we usually get shafted like that £s are worth more than either). So I'm not terribly disappointed by £395 as they appear to be priced at. So I'll definitely be getting one.

stratamania likes this.
  9. Jace Nuzback

Jace Nuzback Member

It still looks like a pretty cool product to me. It would be a great pairing with the AmpliFireBox! It shows an effects loop, but the documentation doesn't tell us much about it yet. I would assume it would be assignable in the signal chain so some FX can be pre while others are post.

10. Inerzia

Inerzia Member

If they come up with a Tone Print rack unit similar in function to the G-System, they've already sold the first one

JunkGear likes this.
  11. stratamania

stratamania Member

The FX loop can be placed at any point in the chain.

Jace Nuzback likes this.
  12. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

interested-as long as I can assign the individual "pedals" to be on or off as I bank to a new board( I feel certain you can...?), I think I will be in.

13. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

I think my Decibel 11 Switch Dr might do the trick

14. OneDeadSquirrel

OneDeadSquirrel Member

Already built a new board in anticipation of the plethora and I went with the Disaster Area Midi Baby to switch boards. I’m hoping I can also use this for global tap tempo once they update the firmware.

15. stratamania

stratamania Member

Welcome to the thread and the forum. Post a pic of the board you are preparing...

16. OneDeadSquirrel

OneDeadSquirrel Member

17. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I'm extremely interested in this, especially if it gets a uni-vibe added to it. the pitch/arpeggio functions are just a bonus to the reverb/delay/modulation but something that would be really useful and fun. $500 seems fair to me if in fact it sounds as good as the individual pedals.

18. stratamania

stratamania Member

Plethora X5 TonePrint Pedalboard - Frequently Asked Questions

00:07 - Introduction
    00:58 - Does Plethora have any drive pedals?
    01:33 - Is there a Tuner in Plethora X5?
    02:22 - Why is the signal chain in reverse?
    02:50 - Will you be able to turn the signal chain around?
    03:12 - Will Plethora X5 include a looper?
    03:30 - Any other pedals coming to Plethora?
    04:09 - How does the FX loop work?
    06:43 - Is there going to be a Plethora X10?
    07:23 - Can you control Plethora with MIDI, and what can you control?
    08:18 - Does Plethora have global tap tempo?
    12:24 - Will you be able to name your Pedalboards, and how do you organise them?
    13:22 - Is it possible to do advanced routing?
    13:52 - Will Plethora be available in other colours?
    14:33 - Changing the colours on the screens
    15:49 - How many delays and reverbs can I run in a single board?
    20:17 - What kinds of cab simulators are inside Plethora?
    22:11 - Can you use an expression pedal, and what can you control with that?
    28:46 - Will you include TonePrints from Alter Ego and T2?
    29:07 - TonePrints from the Bass amps and pedals?
    29:59 - Corona, working from home at TC and send-off