TC Electronic Polytune & an AnalogMan Sunface Phenomenon

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by greendc30, Jan 19, 2015.

1. greendc30

greendc30 Member

Just thought I'd share an interesting occurrence.

I had a rehearsal/audition last night, and I threw together a quick small pedalboard instead of lugging out my usual big board. I didn't check it before leaving the house, but I had a TC Electronic Polytune first in my chain, running into an Analogman Sunface. I opted to use the Polytune's extension power supply jack to daisychain power over to the Sunface.

When I got to practice and powered up. No signal. I quickly noticed the Polytune wasn't working. After trying a few things, I disconnected the daisychain to the Sunface, and went with a battery in the Sunface. Now they both worked but the Sunface had an extremely weak signal even with a fresh battery. I decided to swap out the Sunface with a battery powered Sarno Earth Drive, which I brought along as a just in case pedal if the Sunface didn't fit the sound/tone needed. There was a small part of me that was worried the Sunface was positive tip instead of negative, and I had damaged the pedal.

Today I first used a voltmeter to check that the Sunface was indeed negative tip. Then I set up the same scenario just using the Polytune and the Sunface with the same results. I then powered both pedals using a Voodoo Lab Power Supply, and both pedals worked without a hitch. I then went back and used different a different drive pedal, a Bondi SickAs, powered by the Polytune via the extension power supply, and they both worked fine.

So, am I correct in assuming, there is a loading issue that occurs when using the Sunface? Anyway, just thought I'd share. Maybe others have encountered the same thing.

2. insubordination

insubordination Member

http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm#power

I'm not sure what model you have (silicon or germanium), but Sunfaces are definitely potentially sensitive to power from both batteries and external supplies. Best to use a non-alkaline 9v battery or isolated power.

3. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I'd only use a 9v battery if I were you. That's all I use in my Sunfaces and if you unplug your cable from the input jack it disconnects the battery when not in use and they'll last forever, it draws almost nothing when it's turned on.

Also, put it first in your chain, Sunfaces sound significantly better if they're the first thing that sees the guitar signal. My setup is Strat -> AM Sunface -> Polytune ------and then on down the line.

4. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

5. greendc30

greendc30 Member

Aha! Thank you so much! I bought the pedal off a user here in the emporium. So, I never got a manual. My Sunface is a NKT275 Red Dot.

What are your thoughts or what have you heard regarding powering a NKT275 with a Voodoo Lab Mondo, using the sag option available?

6. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

9v crappy battery. Accept no substitute.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Using an isolated output on the Voodoo Lab PS is fine. Try the sag too, it's safe. A lot of people try that but don't get back to me with feedback so I have a feeling it does not improve the sound.

8. greendc30

greendc30 Member

Thanks for the reply, and the great customer service Mike. I had a TS9 modded by you way back in the late 90s. Still on my board. Anyway, loving the Sunface. I'll try to get back with you and let you know what I think vis a vis the sag option on the VL Mondo.