1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

TC Electronic Sustain + Parametric EQ Questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gary, May 23, 2006.

1. Gary

Gary Member

Anybody here use one of these pedals?? If so, can you suggest a starting point setting?? I'm just looking to add some clean sustain to solos, without intruding on my basic tone. I've got one on the way, but I have absolutely no experience with this one. Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks for any help, Gary

2. threm

threm Member

There was a comressor thread on HC where Fatback mentioned the Sustain+ (used "for eaarly Frisell madness").

I wrote;
    "I`ve got a Carl Martin and an old TC Sustain too. The TC is kinda hard to set up. The compression is quite pancake flat brutal and if not placed right it really sucks up the tone and drops below unity level. With other pedals the same setting on the TC will push the level above unity.

When placed right it has a great Gilmourish sustain (hi-fi like when adding a little treble).

Fatback, what`s your take on that pedal?
    Wondering if mine is not behaving right or if the sensitivity to placement and use is just the nature of the beast."

3. Mark Barratt

Mark Barratt Supporting Member

Gary,
    I got one about 15 years ago but only used it for a couple of months before changing my set-up.
    I still have it but its stored away nowdays.
    It's maybe one of the best compressors out there, BUT it can be hard to get it sounding right.
    I got close to an Allan Holdsworth chord sound and an Eric Johnson lead sound quite easily and also you can get a Trevor Rabin "clipped chord" sound like the section following the solo on "Owner of a Lonely Heart".
    You have to spend some time with it and it and maybe a good idea is to start with the dials set at "12 oclock"
    By playing about with them very slowly (anti-clockwise and clockwise) you will get an idea what it is capable of but be prepared to be patient. It sweeps the EQ !!!
    Hope this helps.
    Mark.

4. fatback

fatback Member

Threm,

I think that is the nature of the beast with this pedal. It's sensativity, (especially the eq section, as Mark pointed out,) is a blessing and a curse. Mine tends to behave best with a fresh batterey. As the voltage fades, the pedal's comp and noisegate sections can begin to mess with each other. I dig the super squash it can acheive. Few comps have this much personality!

Gary,

If this is your first old t.c. pedal, don't be alarmed when the status light turns off on it's own, (though the effect is still on,) after a couple of minutes. This was a "battery saving" feature of all the old t.c.'s.
    :jo

5. threm

threm Member

Fatback, thanks for the reply! Comforting to hear that this is the way the Sustain + actually behaves.

6. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I own a couple of 'me. Fatback's description is dead-on accurate. Once you find the proper place and settings, the thing is wonderful. I like the way it responds with a clean Strat and nothing else. Great for funk comping. It also works well with a Strat or Tele when plugged into a Black Panel Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb with its distortion on and gain turned up fairly high - does a really cool SRV "Cold Shot" type thing. It is definitely its own beast. No other compressor really sounds like it. It ain't transparent, but what it does is really cool. And definitely bear in mind, it really enjoys the taste of a 9 volt battery. You can get a couple gigs out of a brand new Duracell (unplug during breaks) before it starts to sputter. Definitely ranks a spot on the Pedal Power 2 Plus (using the plug that attaches directly to its 9volt battery receptical via a small notch in the back plate).

Peace,

jb

7. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

9. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I'm actually quite curious about this pedal as well. I've been GAS'ing for a compressor lately and have more or less decided on the Barber Tone Press, but this TC unit has always intrigued me. I'm basically looking for a unit that'll do everything from a subtle cluck to all-out 80's new wave sheen (moreso the latter). Has anybody here had the chance to compare these two pedals?

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Haven't tried the Barber, but I have had the TC, it's not, imo, a do-it-all comp, it has it's own, sometimes pretty extreme sound.

If you want an all purpose comp I'd look elsewhere.

11. jman

jman Member

Maybe mine was faulty but unless i used it with strong output pickups(like EMG's)it would kind of swell up to the note no matter where i had it set-was kind of ridiculous,actually...i'd like to try another one sometime.

12. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Yeah, I think you're right about the TC, but the more I think about it the more it sounds like what I'm looking for. I just missed out (outbid) on a used one (of course) on ol' Fleabay late last week, but I did manage to pick up a used TC Chorus + Flanger pedal which should be shipping out tomorrow. So, I guess I'll keep looking. I like my tone as-is w/o the comp so using it as more of an effect than a tone shaper (a'la Andy Summers or The Edge) might actually be more fun and versatile for my situation.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot to ask. Has anybody had the opportunity to compare/contrast the TC Sustain + PEQ to the Carl Martin Comp?

13. talpa

talpa Member

Over the last 25 years I have acquired 2 used units, one is about NOS but doesn't sound as good as my beater unit for some reason...the QC on these is tight so a bit perplexed on that.

I have searched Google high and low for the correct EJ settings...I have come close but cannot dial it in. I have the right amps, my Germino late black-flag 100 watter, and Club 40 heads into my stock '70 1982A cab.

Does anyone know where in the chain it should sit - before the OD or after ? Tks

14. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

You should try it both before and after the OD. I play an EJ Strat and prefer it after my OD and Dist. It is very sensitive when tweaking the knobs, especially the NS/Threshold knob(the mini knob). Here is my set-up for it: distortion switch-off, bandwidth-.2, sustain-.2, gain-4, function-6, center-.2, NS/Threshold-1 o'clock position.
    Everything is contingent on what your amp settings are as well, I use a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 and a Fender Twin for amplifiers, so you may have to tweak things up. I use the unit as a compressor and as a sustain combination, but setting the sustain low and tweaking the NS/Threshold knob will place you from one spectrum to another. A slight movement of the knobs go a long ways. I also power the unit at 18V, which is why the tweaking of the knobs are more sensitive. But from a starting point, I always worked the sustain and the NS/T knob before fine tuning the EQ settings. Hope that helps you. Jerry

15. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Because it (likely) passed a lot more signal over the years.

16. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

So you power the tc sustain @ 18v? The reason i ask is today i mistakenly plugged the pedal into the PP2+ w/ the ACA(12v) switch on and it sounded great just not sure have much it can handle...

17. jnepo1

It can handle up to 24V. Since I posted that, I am now powering it at 24V thru a Cioks DC10. I am using the Cioks Flex Booster (charge pump) to get the 24V.

18. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Excellent! 18V adapter on the way. In the meantime I tried the TC with the Boss ACA which I was told was rated at 14.7v... Big difference then running at 9v. Thanks!

19. darkwave

darkwave Member

I used one for years as my "solo" sound. The combination of comp, parametric, gain, and noise gate seemed tailor made for that use. I usually set the parametric for a very strong boost at 600Hz or so (a vowely honk) and tried not to use too much compression. I basically liked what it did, though I eventually wanted less compression and more boost than it seemed to give.

I'm using a Spark Booster now and am really happy, though I'm not getting rid of the old pedal - it's been a recurring favorite over the years.

-Douglas C.

20. jnepo1

Try it at 24V. Just set the DIP switches away from normal on both taps and use the voltage doubler.