TC Electronic Switches Still Suck

DR5Guy

The switch of my TCE Spark Mini failed today. I had some reservations reading other people comments about how unreliable TCE switches are, but now am convinced all such reports are not exaggerated. My pedal had probably less than 1000 cycles of use for the switch. Few months ago it become erratic to finally fail completely today.

After opening the case I found a $0.40 PCB mounted tactile switch under the actuator. It just blows my mind a company as reputable as TC would use such a crappy component. I am not an expert, but it seems the pedal was designed in a way to be not reparable.

WillLane

Try some contact cleaner. If you can remove the washers around the switch you may be able to get some of the cleaner into the switch housing and maybe save your pedal. :aok

I just recently started using a Spark Booster fullsize and have not had any problems. But I have had dodgy switches on both an EHX Soulfood and a Hotone Liftup, and contact cleaner saved both of them.

Jhuttyhut

Not saying that you and others aren't experiencing these issues, but I must chime in to say that I've owned 9 different TC pedals, including the Spark mini, and never had a single issue with any of the footswitches. I gig regularly, so they see plenty of use. Just presenting the other side.

ED_P

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder if it's bad batches of the switch vs the design being bad.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The OP reported he had "less than 1000" cycles. So thebpedal hase been on and off less than twice a day for a year.
We also have no way to know how old the pedal is. It could have been build during the span that TCE actually had lots of reports of Switch issues (mostly focused on the polytunes). This spark mini might be from then and just say unsold for a long periods of time.

I've been stomping on my Flashback X4 since it was first released and it's good. However I did have to replace the input for the power supply. It snapped off and sunk into the enclosure, but it's not PCB mounted so it was simple. I'm not saying anybody who's had problems is at fault by any means, they are certainly not the best switches and these are cheap mass produced products.

Mr. Limbic

I've been seeing these posts for awhile and have never had any issues my flashback x4 and polytune noir until about a week ago. The polytune quit working. Not sure if it was a switch problem or not but it seems to be the case. It has also happened to a wampler euphoria and dual fusion so it's not just the TC pedals...

Reactions: KFJ

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
I had a problem with a switch on my X4 (purchased brand new when they were first released) and a problem with a Flashback Triple (also purchased brand new when it was first released). I've got a friend's FB Triple on my bench right now for new footswitches because one failed. So we're talking 3 separate units with production dates ranging the past 3-4 years.

Granted, I've had many other TC pedals during this time, and none have had switching issues. However, none have been used quite as extensively as the Flashbacks when I had them.

Last edited:

Meriphew

Silver Supporting Member
One of the reasons I ditched my Trinity pedal. I thought it sounded fine, but I didn't want to find out if the switch would die on me during a show or session.

scolfax

Where there's smoke there's fire. There are too many complaints over the years about the TC switches for it to just be a coincidence.

Line 6 switches were infamous on the MM4, DL4, etc, but you don't hear people consistently saying things like this about MXR, Boss, Ibanez, EHX...

Dad love mom

The switch of my TCE Spark Mini failed today. I had some reservations reading other people comments about how unreliable TCE switches are, but now am convinced all such reports are not exaggerated. My pedal had probably less than 1000 cycles of use for the switch. Few months ago it become erratic to finally fail completely today.

After opening the case I found a $0.40 PCB mounted tactile switch under the actuator. It just blows my mind a company as reputable as TC would use such a crappy component. I am not an expert, but it seems the pedal was designed in a way to be not reparable.

I owned a TC X4 pedal that had the switch crap out TWO TIMES on it. Both times, TC covered the expenses to have it fixed. The second time, the pedal was out of its warranty period, but TC still covered the costs.

Gonkboy

Had a faulty TC pedal and the customer service was shockingly inept. I've avoided them ever since and suggest others do the same.

ERGExplorer

Having personally had failures with TCE switches since the advent of the Toneprint line, and no issues at all with the Behringer pedals that people love to bag on with no actual evidence, I'm hoping the new TC products from after the buy-out will be blessedly free of such reports for a year, at which point I'll again take a chance.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
The switch on mini tuner was intermittent for a while, but it mysteriously fixed itself.

S. S. Bender

Quality assurance and service support has gone to hell-in-a-handbasket at TCE. Everything that was designed before the Nova series is virtually bullet-proof high-quality gear. The Nova products had a few minor issues, but they're still reliable for the most part. Everything that came after the Nova series is suspect for quality issues, and I no longer use those products as a result.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom