TC Electronics ALTER EGO - Anybody know anything about this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Farbulous, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

On ProGuitarShop's Facebook page yesterday they posted this picture with no further details. Does anybody have any?!?!?!?

[​IMG]

Obviously it's a delay modeler, but is there any other information or hints that anybody has about this? From the picture, you immediately have to love the footprint, the fact that there are stereo outs, and that this thing can do a DMM!!!!!

2. joeleric26

joeleric26 Silver Supporting Member

I'm curious about this one too.

3. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

I have to admit, the demo has me intrigued too!

4. Dion

Dion Supporting Member

Available on their website now for $165
    If you order today and use code SAVE20 you save $20

5. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

The TonePrint series is pretty genius on TC's part. There's probably no real difference between any of them other than the exterior and what softeware they load. New paint + new Toneprints placed in the slots on the selector switch = brand new product.

6. odgeuk

odgeuk Member

My thoughts exactly! They've even recently put out a pedal for John Petrucci which seems to just be the patches ported from his favourite settings on various TC Toneprint pedals. The original idea was neat but it starting to feel like we're just getting Multi-FX patches in single Stompboxes. Which is actually much less bang for your buck than a rackmount FX unit and Midi Controller.

I wonder how long it will be till TC supersede the G-System with a unit which effectively has all the Toneprints and parameter control in it?

Somehow, all the magic is taken out of it when you know your sound is just a piece of code that can can be passed around from unit to unit.

Having said all that....the TC Flashback is one of the best pedals I own!

7. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

I bit the bullet yesterday. It was an impulse buy but I've seen lots of good reviews for the Flashback, so I'm keen to at least give it a try. I've never owned a DMM or Echorec either, but eager to hear TC's interpretations.

And thanks for the code Dion!! That basically paid for my shipping costs!

8. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

That's great, however if TC electronic isn't releasing those Delay Toneprints (which an Binson and DDM would be very desirable unlike many of the other random tone prints) for the Flashback.....I've got to say that is REALLY lame.

9. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

what are the different settings on the select dial? dmm...what else?

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

EchoRec, Analog, Modulated, Slapback, Tape, etc... see the info for the TC Electronic Flashback for more info. Other than the ER and DMM settings, the others are the same.

11. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

12. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I don't want to present the same arguments again and again, especially when they are presented in an older thread on the same subject that is simultaneously active on the 1st page, but no: it won't be lame at all. Flashback owners like me won't like it, but that won't make it lame, but only sound business planning. Unless TC thinks otherwise, that would potentially undermine the sales of the Flashback. You wouldn't bury your own product, would you?

13. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Perhpas I need to read through that other thread instead of skimming it. I don't see any real arguments for the idea.

They created the Flashback with promises of Toneprint updates. This is the kind of update many users were really hopping for (what other delay tries to emulate the much sought after Echorec?). Yet now they want you to buy a new pedal to get it? Not a different pedal...the same pedal with a different graphic? Sorry, that's a pretty lame business practice. I mean, Andy already did one tone print....why create one that is exclusive to a different pedal. Its lame in that it is insulting to the consumer to make them shell out for a whole new pedal.

14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

"Insulting to the customer"??!? Why? Did they release the new pedal at 50% the price of the Flashback? It's just another version. It's a very, very common practice, especially in the pedal business. And creating a toneprint that's exclusive to another pedal ensures the viability of the product (it has to offer something different, otherwise there is no point in its existence). As far as Binson emulations go, they exist and there are a few older threads that discuss them (the Line 6 model, the El Capistan model etc.)

15. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Wow very cool-like Gilmour in a box.

16. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

My reasons are pretty obvious to me.

And I seem to be in the majority opinion after reading the other thread.

I'm aware of the Echo Platter (line6 model)....had not heard the El Cap had anything to do with the Echorec.

Most other pedals with a new version don't have a current version that promises the exact same "update" that the new pedal provides - yet it is not offered.

As far as the point to its existence. That's part of the problem...there is no reason for its existence. The pedal already exists, it has a different paint job.

17. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

What majority opinion would that be?

18. Lonestar Boogie

Lonestar Boogie Member

I agree with you. If they don't release the Echorec and DMM as Toneprints for FB, they will be giving the middle finger to all the people who bought the FB to begin with.

I don't own either pedal, so right now I have a choice.

Seems to me that TC replaced the two modes that they gathered people used the least with two very desirable modes. Someone like me could be the AE and get those two modes, along with the other most popular modes from the original FB. But people who gave their business to TC on the promise of new, usable, desirable Toneprints, are being denied the ability to utilize that feature for these two new modes.

I could understand if instead of just two new modes there were all new modes. That would justify making someone who already bought the FB to shell out the $$$ for a new pedal. But two?

My guess is that they will release the Echorec and DMM as Toneprints in a few weeks or months, after the buzz of the AE dies down a bit.

When are they going to release a pedal that has 11 Toneprint slots? The Pedal that can be whatever you want it to be?

What about a pedal that allows you to run several Toneprints in a chain?

I'm really starting to like this company.