TC Electronics Alter Ego X4 on sale - owners still like it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1973Marshall, Mar 22, 2015.

1. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

They are on clearance. Now that the honeymoon is over, would the owners do it again?

My DL4 took a dump a while back and this looked viable. To be honest I live my Boss PS2 and MXR Carbon Copy, but the TC seems like yiu get every world from organ sounds to Echoplexes.

How has it been live or in studio?

2. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Where is it on clearance?

3. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

4. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Supporting Member

I havent been using mine lately but I still think its an amazing pedal both in terms of sound and function

5. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

I keep seeing that, and every time I wonder if it's worth it.. I have an FB Triple already, which is an entirely different animal (and lacks the Looper functionality).

I'd also like to hear from owners on this before my GAS gets the better of me!

6. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

Doesn't surprise me honestly. I don't feel like that pedal has been a great success. This is just my view, but I feel like the Timelines and H9s are taking the guitar world by storm and the big TC pedals are slipping under the radar.

Great pedals, I just don't know how well they've been doing.

7. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I bought one immediately when it was released.....like day one b/c it focused on the delays I really like the most, had a great looper, easy presets to access, and expression control of any value, perfect! Really, really, really didn't like it. Traded it in for something else locally for a good value, well before the bottom of the market fell out. It's on clearance for a reason, imo. The Flashback has much better sounding models.

8. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

I really dig mine. It's spunky as hell tho, which I like and others do not. I really like the eplex2, bdm2, erec2, and specho settings. I haven't played the flashback x4 but I dig this one. Not sure if it will last on my board, but it's been on there ever since it came out and I def won't be selling it as it does some very unique sounds that I can't archieve with my Timefactor, H9, el cap, or carbon copy

9. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

So far I'm shocked... Not really any excitement over this.

10. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I think it sounds really good, especially with some good tone prints.

But I dislike the interface. It needs to be more sophisticated. For instance, a read out that tells you what the current effect is - relevant for the 4 tone print slots. And infinite knobs, so you can adjust something and not make a huge change. As in you set delay A to 12 feedback, but switch to delay B - no idea what the feedback is on, so you'll be adjusting from 12 blindly, starting from scratch more or less.

It really would be nice to have - tone and mod mix. Maybe mod speed, but that's less important.

I am looking forward to a V2 version. I hope it is more serious. Hopefully they don't love it behind.

11. tanee

tanee Member

I like mine a lot as far as sound quality goes. I love the simplicity of it as well... not much to tweak. I agree ryandfl about the interface being a little weird.. but it's nothing that ruins the experience for me.

Bottom line.. if vintage/mod echo is your thing.. you really couldn't do better in this price range.

12. TakisMasterKey

TakisMasterKey Member

I think the move they did by releasing the Alter Ego V2 in short time was a sign that they realized that the big one had issues. The smaller V2 is more focused in terms of the delays modeled, even though there is no modulation control (again). Also, one of their mistakes is that they don't specify the range for the delay time or feedback for the seperate models, which leaves you confused sometimes as to where you were and where are you going next. I would agree for the price, the V2 would be the way to go

13. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

14. seedlings

seedlings Member

Must be only at Guitar Center. But, for sure, it's $169.99 over there.

[​IMG]

I bought a DD20 the day before this sale started. I was saving up to buy one the last time it was on sale. Not meant to be for me.

CHAD

15. Faded

Faded Member

I got one when they were first released. I returned it immediately. Its a pedal made for people playing in their bedrooms or to make youtube videos with. It isnt a professional tool at all.

The modulation on the delays is over the top and unchangeable. I dont mind modulated delay when Im able to adjust to taste. Without control over that parameter its just an expensive toy.

16. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I use the H9 and an old Boss DM-2 on my main board- I have a FBX4 on my Vox/JC77 board and the AEX4 on my modulation/delay funhouse board.
    The AEX4 lets me dial up Echorec, DMM, Echoplex, Copicat etc. delay sounds when I am in the mood for those tones.
    Yes they are somewhat over-modulated with no way to adjust and yes you may notice some digital artifacts if you listen for it BUT I feel my "money spent vs. value received" was worth it just to be able to hear the audible differences between tape, analog, digital, oilcan, metallic drum and more ways to achieve echo- a great way to learn the history of manmade echoes. :JAM

17. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

Wait, so v2 sounds different?

18. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

Lol...really? Define professional gear for us all please. It's on my board and I play all over the country, don't do YouTube vids, but I do play in my bedroom every once In awhile when I am practicing or doing other professional work (but not with that pedal since it is in a trailer or warehouse). I find the models that I like and run with it. No having to "perfectly dial in the mod" just 3 presets and exp for me with no need to tweak. I get compliments on the delay all the time as well. The eplex2 model alone is amazing.

19. TakisMasterKey

TakisMasterKey Member

I didn't say it sounds different, I mentioned focused as it has fewer delays but still lacks mod control.

20. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Still on my board and loving it simply to use and plenty of tonepdints available to use and tap tempo on demand.