• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

TC Electronics BAM200 class D bass head = Duncan Powerstage Killer?

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
If the difference between cartage woes is a BAM vs a Quilter ToneBlock....um; I think we are developing a little problem. "I'm not lugging around 2.7lbs when I can be carrying 1.25lbs! My back will thank me when this is all said and done!"

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
If the difference between cartage woes is a BAM vs a Quilter ToneBlock....um; I think we are developing a little problem. "I'm not lugging around 2.7lbs when I can be carrying 1.25lbs! My back will thank me when this is all said and done!"

giphy.gif

Elantric

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Quick update: unboxed it, connected it to my VHT cab with an old Celestion speaker yanked from a Marshall, set up the "flat" setting and hooked up my Les Paul + FM3 (JVM OD2, Orange channel, Drive pedal, bypassed cabs)...

WOW! It sounds great!! My old Quilter 101 sounds really good as well, but had to be tweaked since it was dark sounding. The BAM200 sounds really nice in comparison and lets the FM3 shine
Nice!

This weekend I want to test the BAM with my Fryette Deliverance 4x12 and HRD 1x12 extension cab.

I just got my booster shot yesterday so last night and today were a bumpy ride: sore arm, headache, stomach cramps, chills, low grade fever, and worst of all fingers in both hands cramping badly to the point where playing wasn't an option. I hope I'm up to it tomorrow.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member

Fair! But one fits in my Mono Double Gig bag front pocket and one doesn’t! Not so much the weight. I have a couple gigs I do with some regularity where one trip/going as lite as possible is called for and I run out of hands quick.

stratzrus

Gold Supporting Member
I finally unboxed the BAM and did a quick and dirty test with the FM3 using a Fryette Deliverance 4x12.

I got a really nice Jazz/R&B tone, just as good as with my Presonus Eris 4.5s which I was really happy with. This is absolutely critical for me and is how I spend 70-80% of my playing time.

I wasn't really able to crank it because the GF came home five minutes after I hooked it up but I did turn it up some and wondered if it had enough clean headroom and whether or not the tone would hold up well enough if played in a relatively large venue. I'd been mainly doing Friday night concerts in churches with a capacity of 400-600, large hotel ballrooms, and party yachts. I hoped it would be adequate for venues that size.

My concerns about the volume may be related to using a 16 ohm 4x12. I also want to test it using my 1x12 extension cab, the cab I'd likely be using it with at gigs.

I started off using the flat settings recommended by alfahdj but felt it needed additional treble so I turned it up to about 2:00.

index.php

The overdrive and high gain presets on my FM3 also sounded really good. I had tried one of my high gain presets and it sounded like crap but the problem was with the preset which I'd messed up trying to tweak it. I tried one of the stock high gain presets and it sounded fine.

All things considered, my initial impression is that it's a very nice amp particularly for the price, and is a good candidate to replace my Crate Power Block and Quilter MicroPro 200 as a backup due to its size and weight if it can handle concert volumes.

I plan to test it with my Simplifier Dlx tomorrow but my preliminary impressions are very positive. If I can, I'll also compare the BAM to my Power Station 100 using both the Simplifier and the FM3.

So far I think it's very good for an inexpensive, small, and lightweight amp.

Last edited:

ToneGrail

It makes a difference for those of us that are trying to squeeze it onto a pedalboard with a bunch of other stuff. Every square inch counts. also the weight can add up really fast. So every ounce counts.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
It makes a difference for those of us that are trying to squeeze it onto a pedalboard with a bunch of other stuff. Every square inch counts. also the weight can add up really fast. So every ounce counts.

With front facing controls, where would one mount it to a board...vertically? I'd be more inclined to Velcro (or screw mount it) to a small cab. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these next month. I forgot I have an old VHT 1X12 special 6 Cab which might be fun to plug into. also thinking about moving to a coax passive FRFR which this hopefully would be powerful enough to drive.

ToneGrail

With front facing controls, where would one mount it to a board...vertically? I'd be more inclined to Velcro (or screw mount it) to a small cab. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these next month. I forgot I have an old VHT 1X12 special 6 Cab which might be fun to plug into. also thinking about moving to a coax passive FRFR which this hopefully would be powerful enough to drive.
As long as there is enough clearance for the knobs it's fine. I don't need any space in front of the knobs since I can tell exactly where they are set. If they were round Marshall amp style knobs that might be a different story but they're not. I can clearly see the positions of the knobs from above.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
As long as there is enough clearance for the knobs it's fine. I don't need any space in front of the knobs since I can tell exactly where they are set. If they were round Marshall amp style knobs that might be a different story but they're not. I can clearly see the positions of the knobs from above.

Interesting. But doesn't that rob a bunch of space on the board? One of the benefits of most pedal power amps is separating the (huge) power supply so it can be mounted underneath to save space. Or do you have it under a riser?

stratzrus

Gold Supporting Member
With front facing controls, where would one mount it to a board...vertically? I'd be more inclined to Velcro (or screw mount it) to a small cab. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these next month.

Go for it! It's a handy little thing to have around and at that price point it's a no-brainer.

I was thinking yesterday after playing through it that I prefer its clean tone to the Cube 60, Crate Power Block, and even my Quilter MicroPro 200. it just has a more "natural" sounding tone to me...less things that make me think "It sounds okay for solid state but it's no tube amp". Of course, it's no tube amp but it doesn't keep reminding you of it.

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
Where are you guys setting the gain? I’m using the flat BMT settings posted on the first page, curious how you guys are using the gain knob when paired with your modelers.

Jace Nuzback

Where are you guys setting the gain? I’m using the flat BMT settings posted on the first page, curious how you guys are using the gain knob when paired with your modelers.
I use the gain knob all the way down. The higher you turn it up, the more it compresses the sound.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom