TC Electronics Sentry Noise Gate....Lots of Features....Not so much Instructions

dinkyguitar

Hi All,

So I have the nose gate and I really like it....but try to figure out what the settings mean in the toneprint....and good luck that.

I saw 1 manual that explained all the features of the delay, reverb, etc....but left out the noise gate.

No diagrams on different ways of connecting the pedal either....had to do trial an error getting the 4 cable method to work.

They also advertise I can download toneprints from artists....yeah, there's 3 toneprints available.

I know it sounds like I'm bashing a little, but all I'd like to do is learn more about the toneprint settings for this pedal and what they do.

dinky,

SharpCat

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, instructions are pretty thin. I’d have to look at it again, but I think the main idea is that you can set a low point and a high point, cutting the audio spectrum into 3 parts. You then set thresholds (kinda like an upside down compressor) for each part and a volume reduction rate (like compressor ratio) for each part. Then you can assign any of these variables to each of the knobs if you want to change a setting on the fly.

honestly, I thought it worked just as well with the switch in the down position for what I needed.

I was really taken with the feature set of the Sentry and used it for a couple of years. When I upgraded my amp and pedal selection the digital artifacts became intolerable. I then purchased a ISP Deci-Mate and have been happy as a clam ever since. The Sentry is cool, but if you're rocking a high-definition rig it's shortcomings become quite evident.

dinkyguitar

I got it used at a good price....I don't think I saw the ISP at the time for a good price.

I like it, it's just lacking in the instructions dept.

I think the best toneprint I like so far is the 3 band one....I tried the "The wall" which is an artists print, but I didn't like how it boosted my signal.

Yep, I did say it boosted my signal..turned it on/off a few times and you can tell.

Wish I could edit that print...I'd like to find out what setting is for boosting.

So I assume you're not using the Toneprint editor?
Download it to your Mac or PC and hook up the a USB cable to the pedal and you can edit to your heart's content. You can even start with a downloaded Toneprint and refine it more to your liking. You then save it and load it to the pedal as the on-board TP setting.

Trending Topics