TC G-Force

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Leon Todd, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

Scored one of these for a decent price on eBay recently and have been enjoying some of the basic sounds. I've been using an Axe-Fx (Ultra then AX8 and Axe-fx III) so the programming felt really familiar and the delays and mods sound super sweet.

Anyone have any cool advanced tweaks they're willing to share?

2. Slammin Mofo

Slammin Mofo Member

G-Force is a very cool multi fx unit. I had one for a while before I sold it to finance my Axe Fx Ultra way back in 2008 or so...

There was a yahoo user group forum and, if I recall correctly, Simeon - yes, the same guy that's currently active on the FAS forum - was the moderator. I'm sure he's very knowledgeable about G-Force tones!

Leon Todd likes this.
  3. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

A couple of things:
    • You can use a volume pedal as a continuous controller to control effects parameters in real time - super cool.
    • You can arrange any effect in any order via their pedalboard routing system. Take time to learn it - it's crazy powerful.
    • The chorus and delay sounds are especially good IMHO, and the tremolo effect is crazy powerful.
    • These are fantastic units, but suffer from weak AD/DA converters so they fell out of fashion in pro rigs in favor of Lexicons & Eventide units. I still have one and love my G-Force, but I use it with a line mixer to keep the original analog sound intact.

Leon Todd likes this.
  4. Mario C.

Mario C. Member

Loved the pitch shift and delay effects, the routing and realtime controllers are great too. The reverb was pretty bad sounding.
    Hated that you can't sync it to midi clock, not a big issue for some but for me it was.
    Mine broke down in South America during a tour (some voltage issue) and getting it serviced was a huge pain in the butt. Had to return it to TC in Miami and wait a long time, sold it after that. It was good but the MPXG2 sounds better IMO.

iam_krash and Leon Todd like this.
  5. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Think there is something out there that could somehow allow syncing to this via MIDI.

Something like either clock to CC converter, or clock to sys ex?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  6. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

The mighty Simeon! I imagine he's got some very handy tips. It's pretty amazing how similar this unit is to the first gen Axe-Fx.

Haven't explored the trem much but I'm looking forward to diving into it more.

An MPX is something else I'm looking out for, just to scratch the itch of curiousity. Nothing quite like lex verbs right?

7. Serious Poo

Here’s a fun starting point. I read somewhere that Ross was using a G Force around this time, I used to nail the choppy trem sound in the beginning perfectly with mine.

Markdude and jb4674 like this.
  8. Mario C.

Mario C. Member

@Leon Todd: I think you'll like it, the routing is not as powerful as the G-Force but it sounds great, the delay sounds awesome and it's syncable to tap and midi clock, you can insert the modulation block in the feedback path and get some really thick modulated delays and there's the reverb which sounds very good and a bunch of cool stuff, the analog preamp sounds nice too.

9. Zintolo

Zintolo Member

So you run 100% wet through the G-Force? I've always felt the conversion was not good enough, is it for you? Do you have a particular setup?

10. Serious Poo

When I gigged a lot with one in the 90’s, yes. The main issue with these units is your original unaffected tone would kind of just disappear in a mix or in a band setting. It’s easily fixed by using a line mixer, I have an old CAE unit that worked perfectly. Split preamp output signal w/ a GCX, route unaffected sound to mixer, route splits to effects units, run affected signals back to mixer, blend affected & unaffected signals to taste. Hope that helps.

iam_krash likes this.
  11. Zintolo

Zintolo Member

Thanks, yes it helps but hard tremolo is not possible.
    That's why I was asking. Thanks anyway.

12. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

some things i discovered with mine-

Running it in front of my amp like a really flexible string of pedals the effects actually sounded really pronounced and cool but it meant more noise and A/D core tone, but i used it that way in mono for a long time live for just a little rack verb/delay, amp set clean and pedals in front for comp/od-dirt/more chorus/delay:

Then i got a bit more adventurous with routing the multifx stereo rig, eventually in the loop of the clean eggie TOL 100 for more traditional fx rack placement,and found some envelope/trem stuff i loved:

then went full hotplate loaded eggie head with amp channel switching in stereo

Delay->chorus combos can be cool and really got into dynamic modifiers

Mario C. likes this.
  13. iam_krash

iam_krash Supporting Member

Had one, the reverbs were garbage, unusable. Didn't "sit" right.
    As a matter of fact, other than the routing, not a great unit.
    I could NEVER dial out a certain metallic zing/ping it had.

Mario C. likes this.
  14. Mario C.

Mario C. Member

Yeah that reverb was really bad sounding, I even told one of TC's guys at a NAMM show "What the hell were you guys thinking?" :D
    Told them about the Midi clock thing and the speaker filters which also sounded pretty bad. Hope they fixed those issues in the G-System.

iam_krash likes this.
  15. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

Another discovery was running the gforce digitally avoiding the converters made the fx sound much more alive.

Generally agree the verbs are not the greatest but tc was never famous for reverb.

16. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

They weren't prior to the launch of the G-force. Then came the M3000 and the System 4000 with quite natural sounding reverbs, almost to the level of convolution ones.

17. iam_krash

iam_krash Supporting Member

Had a 3000 and 4000...not bad, but not lexicon

18. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

I always felt reverb shouldn't sound 'reverby', it's supposed to just be there creating space. Lexicon could never come close to that.

But this isn't a Willie measuring contest, I hope you agree, just a mentioning that TC excelled all the way to Hollywood with reverbration.

19. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

@mentoneman some of the delay/chorus tones in those vids are LUSH, love it. Wonderful playing too.

20. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

Thank you sir! I enjoy your videos as well.