TC G Major do not work on single amp rigs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by glenecho, Jun 27, 2008.

1. glenecho

glenecho Member

Just got done with a long back and forth with TC Electronics support and found something VERY interesting.

When I first hooked up the TC I noticed that I was VERY underwhelmed with the lushness of the chorus, flange, reverb, and other effects. I use it in the loop of several amps, but namely a Mark IV.

Just for fun I hooked it up in stereo. Everything sounded way better. I noticed that the chorus effect seems to have two distinct choruses...left side and right side. So, I go back to mono (using the Left-mono output as it is clearly labelled), and again the chorus is single again...no stereo summing to the mono output. I check other effects such as delays and verbs...same deal...the stereo signal is not summed when using the L (mono) output.

I've had a lot of rack mount effects, and I've never seen this behavior so I'm figuring something is wrong with my unit so I contact TC support. We go back and forth on several emails.

It turns out, ladies and gents, that TC simply does NOT sum the stereo signal when only the mono output it used. That means you get half the chorus, half the flange, half the reverb, etc. if you are running in mono. TC's explanation was that it "wasn't better to do it that way" and that "it would only effect the small amount of users running single amp rigs".

SMALL AMOUNT OF USERS RUNNING SINGLE AMP RIGS?

So, if any of you bought a G Major and were underwhelmed with why the chorus and so many other effects were so underwhelming...there ya go. They don't sum the mono output.

That said...a Y-cable does fix the issue...but WHY should you have to resort to that? Even my ART Multiverb from 1988 summed the stereo image when using the mono output.

2. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Interesting...I just replaced my G major with a timefactor but when it was in use I also thought the chorus was pretty lame for a TC piece. I must say that my tone is a lot better since switching to the Timefactor.

3. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I like my GMajor so I guess I'd like it alot more if I wasn't running a single amp rig. So, is the obvious workaround possible? - hook up a Y cable from the L/R outputs to 1 input?

4. glenecho

glenecho Member

Yes...I did the Y cable thing last night and it works perfectly.

I really should change the thread title...since there is a workaround. It won't seem to let me.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Doesn't using the Y-cable cause some comb filtering/phase issues?

TheGrooveking

6. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

my mate got rid of his due to the unit making an annoying hum, he got rid of it by using a noise gate, but... when space is limited in the rack draw for pedals.......

7. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
  8. crabby

crabby Member

Wow what a video, nice simple and effective. so whats the problem with gmajor???

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Then it's advertising rip off in my book ...
    Wow, thank you for this info, totally nullifies T.C. Electronic G Major G.A.S ...

10. Ronstrat63

Ronstrat63 Member

How would you hook up the G Major in stereo using the Effect loop?

Would you send the other output to another amp into the loop return and bypass the preamp?

11. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I just use the ge major for delays and reverbs. I never really liked the digital chorus, flange, phasers. My EVH Phase 90 and Maxon FL9 can crush anything the g Major can do flange/phase wise. But the Gmajor is great for reverbs and delays simply awesome.

That video with the OD100 SE+ is awesome, I could never get pedals working into my rig with GCX added to much electrcial noise no matter what I did. I even have the grounds lifted on ISP decimator and everything is dead quite with the noise gate bypassed and even better when on, but add a stomp in one of the gcx loops and i get noise.

Anyway I have a CAA OD100SE+ being built for me right now, should have it in 4 weeks.