TC Hall of Fame (original) vs HOF V2... worth the extra money for a V2?

Nick Sorenson

Rocketfire Guitars
Silver Supporting Member
Other than having more Tone Print spots... is there a big difference to V2?

I'm not a spring reverb user. I pretty much would use it for Halls, Long Plates, and long Ambient verbs. I'm hoping for something affordable to fill the position of the Big Sky (almost $500, which I can't justify at the moment). Here's what I'm hoping to do with it (basically spacy guitar pad sounds like this from Shnobel):

Last edited:

PaisleyWookie

Then get the Blue Sky, which is better than the HoF/HoF2 in every conceivable way. Or get a Neunaber Immerse MkII. Or an MXR M300. Or a Boss RV-6. Seriously, anything is better than the HoF2. Did I mention I hate the HoF and couldn't sell it fast enough?

Nick Sorenson

Rocketfire Guitars
Silver Supporting Member
Then get the Blue Sky, which is better than the HoF/HoF2 in every conceivable way. Or get a Neunaber Immerse MkII. Or an MXR M300. Or a Boss RV-6. Seriously, anything is better than the HoF2. Did I mention I hate the HoF and couldn't sell it fast enough?

Ha ha... I wish. And... I seriously doubt there's anything better than the BlueSky for the sound in the clip. But it's $500!

Can't a person go into the toneprint editor and design a decent sound? I have the Alter Ego delay and I really like 2 or 3 of the stock sounds. I've made a few toneprints that are as good as I am in terms of tonal imagination.

BlueRiff

My HOF reverb altered my tone enough to really notice. So it went in the box and has been there ever since in case I need an outboard reverb in a pinch.

PaisleyWookie

Ha ha... I wish. And... I seriously doubt there's anything better than the BlueSky for the sound in the clip. But it's $500!

Can't a person go into the toneprint editor and design a decent sound? I have the Alter Ego delay and I really like 2 or 3 of the stock sounds. I've made a few toneprints that are as good as I am in terms of tonal imagination.
The Blue Sky is only $299.

PaisleyWookie

Ahhh... I mis read then misquoted you! Sorry. You typed BLUE sky. I was still thinking the Bigsky (which is what I was originally after).
Honestly, Even if I had $500 for a reverb, I'd get the Blue. I didn't care for anything on the Big Sky beyond what's already on the regular Blue. Unfortunately, Strymon sellers tend to sniff glue when it comes to resale value, so you'll see a whole bunch for sale for near new prices.

Tung-Sol Tube

Wholeheartedly agree.

In theory, but the base algorithms are quite sub-par. I’ve definitely heard nice clips of artist/user Toneprints, so it’s not impossible.

It’s a good thing you mentioned you’re not looking for spring tones, as the HOF isn’t good for that. The church was the least bad of the modes IMHO, so maybe you could add some modulation, tweak the filters, and adjust the diffusion on the Toneprint app to make it sound better.

TBH, you’re probably better off with almost any other mid-range prices reverb pedal. For cheaper than mid-range (sub $150), the Mooer A7 seems pretty good for ambient washes and pads.

PaisleyWookie

I just had a difficult time to get good sounds out of the TC stuff in general, and IMHO they kinda ruined their iOS/iPadOS editor, which is a massive drag. IMO, the Source Audio stuff picked up where TC left off, and has an overall better product.

Nick Sorenson

Rocketfire Guitars
Silver Supporting Member
Wholeheartedly agree.

In theory, but the base algorithms are quite sub-par. I’ve definitely heard nice clips of artist/user Toneprints, so it’s not impossible.

It’s a good thing you mentioned you’re not looking for spring tones, as the HOF isn’t good for that. The church was the least bad of the modes IMHO, so maybe you could add some modulation, tweak the filters, and adjust the diffusion on the Toneprint app to make it sound better.

TBH, you’re probably better off with almost any other mid-range prices reverb pedal. For cheaper than mid-range (sub $150), the Mooer A7 seems pretty good for ambient washes and pads.
Come to think of it... The Line 6 echo park has a tape delay mode with some cool artifacts and glitches (supposed to sound like a bad tape splice) that I tried to replicate in the Tone print editor for their delays (alter ego, flashback, etc) and it wasn't happening. So there are some good tools there. But... there are limits.

stevel

Why? IIRC the HoF comes up commonly as a suggestion and is/was a fairly respected pedal - kind of like the Holy Grail was.

Did you just not like the tones, or was there a specific type of verb (spring?) you were looking for?

PaisleyWookie

Why? IIRC the HoF comes up commonly as a suggestion and is/was a fairly respected pedal - kind of like the Holy Grail was.

Did you just not like the tones, or was there a specific type of verb (spring?) you were looking for?
Everything sounds mediocre and "samey" to me. Not a lot of differentiation, and yes the spring was/is terrible. I bought it for the very reason that it comes up a lot, and I really regret listening to that advice.

stevel

Everything sounds mediocre and "samey" to me. Not a lot of differentiation, and yes the spring was/is terrible. I bought it for the very reason that it comes up a lot, and I really regret listening to that advice.
Thanks. I've been kind of on the fence about some TC products and like so many things out there that have nothing but positive reviews and excitement building demos from retailers, there does seem to be this undercurrent of "the tech is getting a little long in the tooth" and "there's better sounding stuff out there".

I looked at the Source Audio stuff and it does seem a "more updated" kind of approach to things and better implementation - of course, there's a price differential too.

The first time I saw the tone print stuff it looked like a great idea - on paper. But it doesn't really seem to have caught on in practice. It seems to me it's more of "variations on a preset" than it is "totally new tones", which kind of makes it seem like it's being oversold as something more than it is.

There’s just so many better options out there at a similar price point, or just a little bit more.

I’ve never run across anyone who had a HoF because they played everything else and thought it sounded the best. It’s… just okay. In a mix or on stage nobody would care, really, but for me when I’d use it at home it proved very uninspiring. The Church mode and some of the TonePrints were fine, and to TC’s credit I quite like their Flashback delay line. I just don’t think reverb is their strength.

Goldie Glocks

I have the HOF 2 and love it. I use it mostly for ambient stuff and it excels at that. I like the push button to even more wacky sounds. For the price I think its a great pedal.

PaisleyWookie

There’s just so many better options out there at a similar price point, or just a little bit more.

I’ve never run across anyone who had a HoF because they played everything else and thought it sounded the best. It’s… just okay. In a mix or on stage nobody would care, really, but for me when I’d use it at home it proved very uninspiring. The Church mode and some of the TonePrints were fine, and to TC’s credit I quite like their Flashback delay line. I just don’t think reverb is their strength.
I didn't like the FB2 either. I had them both at the same time, and there were issues there too. Mainly that there weren't a lot of differences in modes, and the analog algo was terrible.

Tung-Sol Tube

Come to think of it... The Line 6 echo park has a tape delay mode with some cool artifacts and glitches (supposed to sound like a bad tape splice) that I tried to replicate in the Tone print editor for their delays (alter ego, flashback, etc) and it wasn't happening. So there are some good tools there. But... there are limits.
The Echo Park tape mode definitely has a unique splice/crinkle thing going on. The only thing I’ve heard that does that well is the Strymon El Cap/Timeline dTape/Volante.

It’s widely available and people are entitled to their opinions. IMHO, there are better pedals that cost the same or less for every application for the algorithms on front.

When I first was on the reverb quest, the main compact reverb options that were widely available were the Holy Grail, RV-5, Digiverb, and Verbzilla. The Holy Grail that you mentions holds up ok today; it’s great for simplicity. There might’ve been a few others but this was before the Belton Bricks, Spin FV-1, and higher performance DSP based units that were used to today. Now that I think about it, there was the TC Nova Reverb as well (when TC was still boutique), but I was mainly concerned with the common, compact options and not things like the Nova and Danelectro Corned Beef (not really a reverb).

I totally agree. My HOF disdain goes back to its inception. I remember thinking, “oh cool a new 11 mode reverb! It’ll be better than my Verbzilla, which also has 11 modes.” It totally wasn’t/isn’t. Most of the modes, like plate and hall sounded similar with little differentiation. The spring is notably bad.

Unlike the FB2, which has upgraded tape and analog algos, the HOF2’s base algorithms are the same with minor tweaks to predelay and the very late to the game shimmer.

Thombalabomba

I have a hof 2 and bought a ua golden reverberator, which is an insane difference, golden reverberator is just all i could want in a reverb but Costa like 4.5x as much. I bring the hof2 on my nano board when i go outside for when i need soms non essential hall reverb or something, and run the golden reverberator when i want to sound good.

Nick Sorenson

Rocketfire Guitars
Silver Supporting Member
Just listened to the same guy (Shnobel) demo the TC HOF in stereo and that answers my questions. Not bad but not great. I think my zoom reverb models sound better. The MXR M300 demo he does sounds great. I didn't know it was a stereo pedal. Unfortunately you have to use TRS jacks/cables to get a left right split.

PaisleyWookie

Just listened to the same guy (Shnobel) demo the TC HOF in stereo and that answers my questions. Not bad but not great. I think my zoom reverb models sound better. The MXR M300 demo he does sounds great. I didn't know it was a stereo pedal. Unfortunately you have to use TRS jacks/cables to get a left right split.
Yeah, it is a bit of a drag with that one, but it's a VERY good meat and potatoes reverb, IMHO. I kick myself for selling it. I really don't know why I did.