TC Hall of Fame vs Boss RV-6

DSL74

Have a chance to get a TC HOF for about $85 but concerned about some reports of foot switch issues and other sound quality stuff. So better to save up for the RV-6 or take a chance on the HOF? I mean did TC ever resolve the foot switch failing that many people report?

plaidbeer

Haven't used a HOF, but I really like the RV-6. At first, I was a little disappointed that the modulated reverb wasn't the same as the one on the RV-5, but it still sounds really good and I like the other settings as well. I'm not a shimmer reverb guy, but I followed a tip on here (I think) and dialed the tone knob way back on that setting and found it very usable. I actually like all of the settings, even the spring.

As for the footswitch issue, I had an Alter Ego 2 and had no issues with the footswitch on it.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
I've never had any of the infamous foot switch problems on my half a dozen or so TC pedals. That having been said, I much prefer the RV-6 to the HOF just based on quality of the reverb tones.

marvelboy_04

Check out the polara, or a used Earthquaker levitation. The toneprint system is pretty sweet on the hall of fame though. I love the mod verb setting, hall, church, and lofi. For toneprints the sigur ros and room with a view are great for huge soundscapes

DSL74

Does the RV-6 handle fuzz and od pedals in the plate (mainly), room & hall modes ok? By that I mean, does the RV-6 have those buzzy artifacts that can be heard as the notes decay? I remember trying an RV-3 once and didn't like it with any distortion, fuzz pedals engaged.

BerkeleyJones

Does the RV-6 handle fuzz and od pedals in the plate (mainly), room & hall modes ok? By that I mean, does the RV-6 have those buzzy artifacts that can be heard as the notes decay? I remember trying an RV-3 once and didn't like it with any distortion, fuzz pedals engaged.
The RV-6 is dead quiet when handling OD/dist pedals. Have been gigging it for months without issue.

Not only is it "BOSS reliable," it sounds f*%#ing good. Search RV-6 in the effects forum and you'll see it's preferred to most Reverb pedals. They knocked it out of the park with this one.

Just traded my HoF for an RV-6 and I regret nothing. The sounds are better, the switch feels better, and I even find the stereo imaging more interesting and "three dimensional".

Only thing I thought I'd miss from the HoF was the Pre-Delay switch. Especially because I found the HoF on the short Pre-Delay setting almost completely unusable. So, I was a bit worried that not having controls for it on the RV-6 would cause the reverb tails to get in the way of the notes I was playing. Not the case at all. The RV-6 provides a very pleasant smear, but doesn't compromise the attack of your guitar.

RV-6, or nothing. I almost guarantee that you will replace the Hall of Fame after you get it. Just go the extra mile and get something you'll probably stick with for longer.

ERGExplorer

I had less thn 4 weeks to check out the HoF.

Why?

Because it failed before the monty was up, so i returned it and got a Boss, which (IMO) sounded better.

Sounded better than the HoF did during those weeks it was working, I mean. Obviously the HoF didn't sound like anything after the footswitch failed... whch means the Boss *still* sounded better than the audible effect the HoF was producing both before and after the HoF failed.

I get that some have never experienced problems with the Toneprint pedal footswitches. I'm actually a fan of my other TC pedals like the Nova Modulator and the Voicesynth.

At this point though, I don't bother trying to figure out how likely I am to be struck by such a failure. If it happens to me outside the warranty period (and TC was unapologetic and uncaring even on its own forum when loyal customers were complaining), then I hit 100%. I don't have money to toss on that stuff.

On the plus side, not only does the Boss sound great IMO, but Boss footswitches have maintained a great reputation for almost half a century. That's a long time to build an uninterrupted track record of excellence.

Assuming the sounds of both product lines sound great to a particular person, you get to this choice:

"This brand's foot switches are bulletproof for decades."

versus

"Well, mine hasn't failed yet, so yours might not either!"

Whichever of those choices sounds like better odds to you, good luck with your choice!

minty901

I've had loads of TC pedals for years and never had a footswitch problem.

Get the RV-6 if you want +delay or shimmer modes, otherwise get the HOF.

The RV-6 has those extra modes but other than that they sound almost identical except the HOF had a slightly more stable tone. I prefer the HOF.

WiresDream

Also consider the Polara reverb. I've got the RV-5 and most modes on the Polara sound better. The modulated mode on the RV-5 can't be beaten though imho.

ERGExplorer

Also consider the Polara reverb. I've got the RV-5 and most modes on the Polara sound better. The modulated mode on the RV-5 can't be beaten though imho.
To be fair, the OP was asking about the RV-6 and not the RV-5 in comparison with the HoF. The shimmer mode is different between them, with the RV-6 having more versatility in shimmer due to the tone knob than the Polara, and the modulate mode being different as well. Preference for one over the other would come down to tastes.

Going back to the real question...

I mean did TC ever resolve the foot switch failing that many people report?
I believe people have reported failures of the footswitches on various gear, including newer models, even up through the last few months.

That's the core issue, isn't it? Even those who have never had the problem cannot say that others aren't having the issue, and there's no way to know which Toneprint pedals might be part of the failure-prone group.

And, of course, unless someone is willing to put their cash into escrow and to guarantee to cover your loss in case you're one of the unlucky ones, assurances over the internet don't carry much counterweight.

EastHastings

I was very disappointed with the HOF. Most of the settings were dull, muddy, indistinguishable. I felt like i had to dive into Toneprint to get the sound I wanted. I haven't played the RV6, but judging by sound demos, it seems much better. Same with the Polara and MXR Reverb, and loads of others. Reverb tech improves quickly, and I think the HOF is outdated now.

Trending Topics