Tc Mini Spark Boost...footswitch Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TB72, May 18, 2015.

1. TB72

TB72 Member

Hey folks.

I picked up a Mini Spark Boost a few months back. I place it after dirt pedals in my chain to get a volume boost for solos.

Anyway, at last night's gig, the footswitch decided to stop functioning properly (Latch mode wouldn't work. I decided to just keep my foot on the switch during solos...but then latch mode would decide to work, and I couldn't turn it off etc. etc. etc.). Bummer, but at least it's new enough that I can take it back and have it repaired or replaced.

My question for fellow Mini Spark Owners (past and present): Is footswitch failure a common occurrence? I really dig the dual nature of the switch (momentary and latch), but if they're prone to failure, I'll just get my money back and go back to my EP Boost.

Thanks.

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I've had my spark boost for a few months now and haven't had any problems with the switch. It seems to be hit or miss with different users.

3. TB72

TB72 Member

Thanks.

Well, hopefully enough people with experience will chime in and give me a good idea exactly of how "hit or miss" these things are.

I should also note that I'm not an aggressive stomper...mine wouldn't have suffered any excessive force.

4. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

Hi there,

I have one and it's fine, but I'll admit I don't use it very much! I have seen inside the pedal and the footswitch assembly is a small spring which presses a small, circuit-board mounted 'micro switch' (very much like Tech 21's footswitches). Although this system is very silent and makes a barely audible click when operated, I believe that these springs over time will compress and either not touch the micro switch or worse: only reach intermittently.

If you compress a spring for long periods of time this effect will be worse (ironically, just as you need to when using the 'prime time' function of this pedal!) Then, the metal is bound to fatigue and remain a little more compressed; thus not reaching the switch. I have thought about removing the switch assembly, unsoldering the mini switch and fitting a more solid push to make switch, but until I have a problem I think I'll leave it...

Peace,

Rob.

5. Coda11

Coda11 Member

TC Electronic switching system is exactly like Rob described. It is really fragile compared to a heavy duty 3DPT (or they choose a fragile microswitch on purpose... planned obsolescence)
    It is also the same system used in Line6 DL4, well known for switches failure. The microswitch does not support a lot of activations.

I had the same problem on my Ditto looper. I managed to repair it and wrote a step by step tutorial about it, maybe it is possible to do the same with your Spark boost:
    http://www.coda-effects.com/p/fixing-ditto-looper-broken-switch-step.html

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    BMVC likes this.