TC Nova Repeater Reliability

rohit

I've been looking at the TC Nova Repeater. Like how it sounds. Love the features. But all the talk about TC Electronic's poor QC coupled with their shoddy customer support has left me wary.
I noticed, however, that in almost all of the threads when people are saying their TC pedals broke down, they are are talking about the Toneprint line.
So is the Nova series also plagued with similar issues like bad switches, etc or are they pretty reliable? Because I'd rather get a simple DD-3 than buy a pedal that craps out on me in a couple of years.
Thanks.

Kestrel

I had a Nova Repeater for a few years. Worked flawlessly. Never had any issues with it. I foolishly sold it to fund another purchase, and I sometimes miss it. Great delay pedal. TonePrint pedals? Well, that's another story. I've had my share of problems with several of them. They supposedly remedied the switch problems with the current soft click switches, but my issues with the TonePrint pedals went beyond switch problems and was enough to turn me away from the brand.

jordane93

I've had the Nova Repeater for about 2 years now and haven't had any issues. It's a great sounding delay and it's really versatile. I know some people have had problems the TC switches but I haven't run into any problems

AnalogKid85

I once looked into this, because I was strongly considering getting a Nova Repeater--I don't think I found even one post about switches going out, on any of the Nova series pedals. Not saying that hasn't happened, but I'm sure the complaints could amount to just a few posts, whereas the Toneprint issues with that could fill one of the "mega-threads" you see on here.

1radicalron

I have a Nova Repeater, and Nova Reverb = Both are awesome! Never had any issues. Even took both of those pedals on the road for a spell.

Ivo

Until earlier this year, I had a Nova Reverb (which I bought when it debuted). No issues whatsoever. But as with all things, YMMV.

CEFlint

I had a repeater for 3-4 years and it worked fine.
I'm not sure if that's the same type switches as in the other boxes that had some problems. I never had any issues with the switches at all.

Wound up selling it, but sometimes wish I hadn't.

bobbyatomic

I've got 2 Nova delays and a Nova reverb, have had them for a couple of years and use them every day, never had a single issues.

rohit

Thank you guys! I am so glad with all the responses. I've been so impressed with the Nova Repeater, it would've been a shame if I had to avoid it for reliability issues.

I once looked into this, because I was strongly considering getting a Nova Repeater--I don't think I found even one post about switches going out, on any of the Nova series pedals. Not saying that hasn't happened, but I'm sure the complaints could amount to just a few posts, whereas the Toneprint issues with that could fill one of the "mega-threads" you see on here.
You're right. Neither did I. But like you, I saw SO MANY complaints against the TonePrint series that I didn't want to leave anything to chance. Frankly, I would've been all over the Flashback if it weren't for all the QC scare. Hadn't seen the Repeater then but now that I have, it's look even better. Has everything that I felt the FB was missing - a tone knob, tap tempo and modulation on any setting.

rohit

I've been looking for a Repeater and there are none to be found. I guess that means that either they really are that good or they are getting lost in the ever-growing sea of delay pedals...
But Sweetwater has the Nova Delay on sale right now. What's the concensus on that one?

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Repeater is bad-ass in terms of reliability. I've had all the Nova series effects, and they are all rock solid in comparison to the Toneprint series as far as the switches, etc... TC Electronic should reconsider bringing back the Nova series and maybe incorporate the Toneprint features into them. The dual engine functionality of the Nova series was a big plus as well as the presets and the tap tempo.

hamerman55

Silver Supporting Member
The Nova series uses an entirely different type of switch from either the old or new versions of the Toneprint series. I have four Nova pedals and they are rock solid AND repairable. I spilled wine in my Repeater and not only are there good independent service people, but it is easy to open up and clean. Having seen the insides, they are built like bricks.

hamerman55

Silver Supporting Member
By the way, the differences between the Repeater and the Delay are pretty clear. The Repeater has better modulation. The Delay has the time read out and presets. The modulation in the Delay is very subtle. Also, you may run into the iB-modified issue. The early Delay pedals had a different preamp. A designer in Italy apparently started to modify them and TC liked it so much they incorporated it into their later profiting. Check Tc's website.

Godspeed64

I've been using mine for 4-5 years, multiple gigs, multiple recordings, with completely no issues.

It's an amazing pedal with a ridiculously wide stereo field. It is the best TC delay in recent years IMO, better than the Nova Delay and Flashback series purely due to the Vibrato modulation.

rohit

After the positive response here I've been searching for a Repeater only to realize that they're so good that nobody puts them up for sale. :p

rohit

UPDATE: So after searching for a couple of weeks, I finally found a Nova Repeater. Should be here in a couple of weeks!

Also, there are a couple of Repeaters in the emporium right now in case any of you who miss your old one feel like picking up a second. :aok

Last edited:

Captain Sco

The only problem I have with mine it I think because I use a right angled powered adapter it causes some stress on the 12v jack and will easily cut out if I dont give it enough stress-relief..

Trending Topics