TC PlethoraX5

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thesjkexperienc, Feb 20, 2020.

1. god.machine

god.machine Member

It's interesting how far TC has fallen. A few years ago this would have been the biggest trending topic on TGP. Now 18 hours after posting, it has less than 20 comments. I think TC burned their bridges with too many shoddy products, bad foot switches, etc... that most of us won't even consider dropping cash on anything they have to offer. Even though the Plethora looks pretty dope.

blackba likes this.
  2. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

a plethora x2 or x3 would sit better in my board.

Roe, CEFlint, thesjkexperienc and 4 others like this.
  3. brs928

brs928 Supporting Member

Have the footswitch problems continued, even with the Mash technology? I believe the Mash footswitches use a hall effect sensor instead of a tactile switch, so it should be much more reliable.

4. brs928

brs928 Supporting Member

It looks like a great deal for all the effects you get, but I'm not a big fan of relying on an app to do any editing. How long will TC support app development? Phones come and go, but pedals tend to get decades of use.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  5. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

I agree with a lot of what I’ve read so far:

(1) This pedal looks awesome, and probably worth the money.

(2) TC’s reputation has taken a hit in recent times. I used to see them as a premium brand, before they took to releasing a slew of lackluster budget pedals.

As for the switches, I’ve heard the complaints, but my TC pedals’ switches have fared just fine.

blackba likes this.
  6. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

At this point what's the exact advantage of this unit vs a Line 6 HX Stomp besides the gimmicky Toneprints and the editor?

C-4 likes this.
  7. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Maybe they'll read this.
    As I said in one of the other threads, I'd preorder an X3. One delay, running into one modulation, running into one reverb. That's typically the last three effects used in my chain, but it's a DD-500 or 20, connected to three or four modulations, connected to a SA Ventris.
    An X3 with programmable preset 'boards' could do it. Agreed with the HX FX: I've liked the sounds better from the TC Toneprint stuff.

Roe, C-4 and leftygeetar like this.
  8. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

In my mind, a plethora x2 or x3 shouldn’t be called “plethora.”

erniecaster likes this.
  9. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

10. brs928

brs928 Supporting Member

Ok, I just watched this video. It looks like they did a pretty good job of incorporating full parameter control into the board itself, so the app is not a requirement.

Plus, the delay has tap tempo :aok

11. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

On TC's site I didn't see the dimensions, was just curious how big this was compared to the Flashback X4.

12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

13. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

what did you think of the xtomp and it's downloadable/bluetoothable sounds?

14. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Plethora X10 with built in expression pedal for the win!

15. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Haven't owned/played an Xtomp.

16. Beydski

Beydski Member

Obviously no one has played it yet, but:
    (1) Price. $250 less than the HX Stomp, $200 less than HX Effects.
    (2) Footswitches. Two more than the HX Stomp. You can add external foot switches to the Stomp, but that adds $$.
    (3) Workflow. Individual screens/menus for each effect. Looks like you can use the Plethora’s effects loop without using one of its effects blocks, unlike the Stomp. Looks to be the same for the cab sim. The quick swap feature of the Plethora looks cool.
    (4) Editing. Whether or not the Toneprint feature is gimmicky, it provides access to a library of defaults. It looks like there is an IOS Toneprint app, which there isn’t for HX. And I’m not real keen on using an external device to edit my pedal, but it seems a lot less cumbersome (to me) to whip out your phone or tablet and edit via Bluetooth than to hook everything up to a PC or Mac. I suppose this is highly dependent on your setup and how you usually play or practice.

17. skiltrip

skiltrip Member

I'm one of those that would be more into an x2 or x3. I've often wished they had like a Corona/Pipeline/Vortex combo. I just need a multi-mod box that lets me stack them. This x5 is likely overkill. If it had OD/Dist/Fuzz in it, it would change everything. I'm happy they have fx loop options, but I'm not one that like tinkering with different wiring layouts, and I rearrange my board a lot. All that said, this is pretty killer looking, and the price point is fair for the 5 slots with all that flexibility.

18. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

It seems like their product development choices may be influenced by an unwillingness to compete with their Nova series. It makes sense, but when they deviate from the standard pedals in the Tone Print series, they either go mini or huge.

19. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

I’ve had a few TC pedals die on me, so I’m not running out to buy this. Happy with my HX Effects.

C-4 likes this.
  20. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

I have a HOF2x4, and a Flashback (used ot have an X4), also have a MD500 and DD500 on my board. If this could replace THREE large pedals, I'm in.