TC Toneprint question for future

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by td2243, Feb 10, 2012.

1. td2243

td2243 Member

So I just saw on the TC website that there is a new John Petrucci Tone Print PEDAL coming called the Dreamscape. It contains his signature toneprints from 3 different pedals.

SO, my questions is, since it is feasibly possible for a Toneprint pedal to have multiple uses (chorus, vibe, flanger), is there any hope of future Toneprint pedal with multiple slots for different Toneprints?

That, in conjunction with a Toneprint making program, would be unbelievably powerful.

I'm imagining a Toneprint pedal with say....5 slots for Toneprints, either downloaded, or customized on my computer. Personally, I don't really care about Toneprints that 'rock stars' design. I want to design my own and stick it in the slot. Multiple slots would be the icing on the cake.

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Yep, they could milk this concept for a long time. This would be the ultimate tweakers design, they could get a blank effect and write some patches for several slots, totally perfect idea for the culmination of the toneprint idea.

Maybe a three footswitch multi with each one a toneprint type, like dirt, flanger, delay or delay, delay, reverb, but they basically all have a few slot for each switch and can always keep it fresh with updates from the web.

3. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

There's 2 reasons I went from having 2 tone print pedals to none:

1) No software accessibility. I mean, put it in the hands of the consumer, and you'd sell a ton of units. There are so many creative technical people out there all it will do is benefit your business and expand the product (Think the Microsoft Kinect hackers. So many uses for Kinect that MS never imagined because it got into the hands of the people).

2) Lack of creativity in the Toneprints. I can only use so many spring reverbs. I don't need 8 spring reverbs with one parameter slightly tweaked. Give me something fresh (Reverse reverb, Octo, Mangleverb, Tremverb, anything...). I ended up selling it an getting a WET. (the funny thing is, I think this complaint might be solved if they did allow the software to be released).

I don't think i'd buy another Toneprint pedal that was singular use. If they made a pedal that could have delay/verb on it and you could have 3-4 free TP slots and access to the software, i'd buy it... Anyway, I only complain because I care and I love the stuff TC puts out. It's a few tweaks from being so much better.

4. td2243

td2243 Member

I hear ya. I think if the toneprint-making software was released, I'd still buy a pedal with only 1 TP slot. I'd like more, but for the price, I wouldn't complain. 4 free slots with delay/verb would be unbeatable. 4 free slots with just reverb would still seal the deal for me personally. They got the Toneprint price range set perfectly for just about everyone.

TC Electronic maybe onto these ideas more than we think. The Petrucci pedal really says alot. Mainly, that they CAN put multiple types of effects into one TP pedal. I could careless if friggin' Mozart rose from the grave and created a TP sound. What works for the "rock stars" isn't necessarily what works for me.

I think the technology for the next level of TP pedal is there, it just hasn't been designed and implemented yet.

I mean, I 'get' the artist TP idea. It follows the logic of endorsers. People want to play what their rock idols use, but with effects, a certain effect can somewhat dictate a musical direction...to an extent. A Petrucci spring reverb sound isn't as open to musical creativity as just a say a Petrucci guitar. There isn't as much musical baggage tied to an instrument as a 10 second reverb sound. Does that make sense?