teach me about glass slides

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AdamSH89, Jan 23, 2015.

1. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

I have a guy who owns a local glass blowing shop who offered to make me something. The first thing I thought of was a slide. If you had a guy who could make you anything for a slide, what would you get?

2. Onemileguy

Onemileguy Member

A slide that fits proper... I also like my glass slides dense and thick walled.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a glass slide that tapered on the inside like a Rockslide (getting thicker towards the end) would be awesome, a way to get increased weight without increased diameter, and also avoiding a closed-off end (sweaty finger city).

thing is, can a local glassblower dude make a slide that's perfectly cylindrical on the outside?

4. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

This.
    Here are 2 of the many slides that have passed into my life over the years.
    I much prefer the one on the right.

[​IMG]

I'd like to get some in a few different colors though.
    Gold colored glass would be cool.

5. popvulture

popvulture Member

I agree with these guys that the thicker ones are better. They're more resonant, and weirdly enough (despite the often added weight/heft), to me they seem more comfortable/agile.

I like the thick dunlop pyrex slides that you can get pretty cheap (is that one of those above?), and I've also got a Diamond Bottleneck (the Red House, I think it's called) that was a little more expensive. It's probably my favorite glass one -- the tapered shape is more preferable to me vs the dunlop, and it's just a nicely made thing, impressive beveling/polishing that produces a great sounding/playing end result. Some people get into what particular bottle glass works better, but I haven't gone there myself.

Entirely different territory, but while we're on the topic, I really like Latch Lake Acoustaglide for metal slides. Great shape/comfort.

6. popvulture

popvulture Member

If you're going to have someone make one for you, I'd go for a thicker one with a slight taper from one end to another, roughly resembling a bottleneck angle. It just makes for more agility to not have it be too be thick and clunky towards your fingertip.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I would say this, but add that the outside should be roughly a 10"-12" radius. I have a heavy glass 'wine bottle neck' and it's great. The more I get used to a curved slide, the less I like the straight ones.

8. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

I think its the weight that adds to ease of use actually, generally requiring less finger pressure to use, letting the weight of the slide work to your advantage.
    I generally play slide in standard tuning on a standard guitar, kind of a "spur of the moment" thing most of the time.
    No raised action so it takes a delicate touch.
    For me, the weight of the slide itself usually provides enough pressure to get clean notes, with very little added pressure.

And yes, I think those are both Dunlops.
    The thinner one is anyway, still has the sticker on it. It failed my test (whatever the hell that is) pretty fast.
    The other one, I picked it up at a Radioshack/crappy music store in Bishop, Ca. a few years ago (I used to make the trip to/from Carson City, NV. and So. Cal. twice a year and always spent the night in Bishop).
    but i think its a Dunlop.

9. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Awesome! I didn't know they'd started making glass slides too. I have their brass swamp slide and it's night and day vs. a normal brass slide. Once you try one of their slides out going back to a normal straight slide is hard. I found the brass slide I got from them made me better almost instantly b/c I didn't have to worry about the damn thing flying off my finger and it gave my finger flexibility to do some neat tricks on the low e that I couldn't do before with a typical slide. These things are A+++ kit.

10. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I have been playing with slide since the late 60's. Metal/steel Lowell George's Craftsman slide, thin metal slides , thick brass slides, thin glass slides. A couple of years ago I walk into an acoustic guitars exclusively shop. Everything was expensive. I ask for a slidean d all there is that I like is a very think glasssl ide with a bit of weight to it. They gave me a discount and it was $25.00. I think I actually came back for it but the $25 put me off. I still have it and it gets used more than my other slides. Its the thickness and heavier weight. It from a company Mr called Mr B's.
    http://mrbsguitarslides.com/shop/

11. donfrantz

donfrantz Yo! You stealin’ all the cool. Supporting Member

12. eti

eti Member

Glass is a great material for a slide, but don't ever drop one on a concrete floor.

13. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

duct tape on the inside against the glass surface. If it breaks, at least you are chard free.

14. Diamond

Diamond Member

Thanks for the kind heads-up about us guys! To get necessary weight in a blown-glass slide, the material needed is leaded crystal (100% safe!!)

U.S. glass-blowers pretty much only work with pyrex - a much lighter glass than leaded crystal - but if you're looking at using the piece for electric slide-work only (not resonator or unamplified acoustic) ~ pyrex glass will work fine for you.

The other important part of having a custom-made blown glass slide is the finished shape of the completed slide - if the glass-blowing studio has no cold-working facilities for final-finishing, you'll probably end up with a closed-top slide and narrower end for your finger - similar to a pill bottle slide.

Thanks again guys & Slide On!

Ian (Diamond Bottlenecks)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  15. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

Thanks for all this info guys. And Ian, big thanks to you for popping up to chime in brother. I'll take this info to my guy here and see what we end up with!

16. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Well, I just found where I'm buying my next glass slide. Dude, you've done my favorite thing and combined function with art. The amber ultimate is almost too pretty to scratch up with my EB cobalts :).

Diamond likes this.
  17. Diamond

Diamond Member

A pleasure guys ~ glad to be of any help ;)

Slide On! Ian,

18. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

Um, did u mean millimeters rather than inches ? i don't think a finger slide should have a foot radius. :bong