Teaching remotely with only an android phone

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Tim Bowen, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

"Sheltered in place" here, and I wholeheartedly support social distancing.

I am a music teacher. I don't own a desktop or laptop computer and have no disposable income toward purchasing such.

I have an android phone. That's it. How about WhatsApp? Could I possibly conduct some lessons with that? I think my folks would be understanding as to things being less than perfect.

Thanks.

derekd likes this.
  2. 850Special

850Special Member

How about Skype? Or Zoom (if you are associated with an institution).

Tim Bowen likes this.
  3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Zoom is your huckleberry. Works great with any device that accesses the web.

I taught 4 classes using it this morning.

Tim Bowen likes this.
  4. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Thanks for the reply.

Can Zoom be used with an android phone? I hear that the log-in is complicated w/ Zoom, but that it is useful/versatile with things such as switching to other apps, displaying sheet music, etc.

Skype is Instagram, correct? I've downloaded Instagram and WhatsApp. Haven't done anything much with either, but WhatsApp looks more intuitive and user-friendly from my early, cursory perspective thusfar.

Technologically speaking, I've recently moved boldly into the 1990s. To put humility aside for a moment, I consider myself to be a really good one-on-one music teacher, have loads of experience, but none of that has much to do with tech considerations and the fact that I am an analog boy in a digital world. Plus the fact that all I have to work with is an android phone.

5. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Awesome, thanks! So I can get on with it using an android phone? Off to take a look...

derekd likes this.
  6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yes, absolutely if you have access to the interwebz.

Very easy to use and the meetings are recordable, plus you can share documents, though that might be tough with a phone.

Tim Bowen likes this.
  7. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Several attempts and approaches to install ZOOM have been unsuccessful thusfar. I think this is kinda why I wound up coming back to WhatsApp. Not giving up, but taking a break from it!

8. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Are ZOOM and Skype both related to Instagram? Thoroughly cornfused here, but for anyone keeping a scorecard, I am st00pid.

9. 850Special

850Special Member

None are related to Instagram. Technically Microsoft owns Skype. Zoom is independent and probably the best option. Small download, create a meeting link and send to your students.

derekd likes this.