Tech 21 Blonde pedal being delivered today...Where should it go in my chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by phillybri, Feb 19, 2015.

1. phillybri

phillybri Supporting Member

Do I just treat it like I would my amp when plugging into the PA tonight?

2. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Yep. Last after your pedals.

3. phillybri

Thanks!

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Tray it like an amp. If you want, you can out reverb and/or delay after it as though there is an effect loop.
    (Crambone post in ...3 ...2 ...)

5. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Be sure to play with the settings until you find a sweet spot.

I use a Liverpool and like to keep the drive all the way down, using it as a clean platform. I set the Character dial to the point of a nice fat sound, no idea which Vox it's meant to be, don't care.

The EQs are active, keep that in mind.

And remember this thing has a ton of output, set it to just below distorting the PA then a touch back again if you'll be boosting the signal.

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

These are great units. I've been using my California more and more lately, with a band that practices direct with headphone monitors. Having a hell of a time getting an OD pedal to play nicely in this scneario. It's either too gainy or too dry..not sustainy enough. Anyone with experience in this realm?

7. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

I used to run it like I did my (clean) amp - all effects in front, including delay - but I think it sounds best before reverb and delay, which is how I run it these days. Great unit, I go ampless about half the time now and I'm happy, I don't feel it's much of a compromise.

8. Onemileguy

Onemileguy Member

After dirt, before delays and reverb, pretty much what has already been said before

9. minty901

minty901 Member

Not quite an effects loop as it is coming after the "cab" portion of the signal chain. In that sense it's more like post-processing after micing a cab. So keep in mind that any delays you have that add saturation (Flashback LoFi or a few of the Alter Ego settings) then this wont sound good after the Tech21 as the harmonics aren't being filtered out by the cab.

10. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

I put my delay before the Liverpool, and in the front end of my amp when I use it.

If it's good for The Edge...

11. charley

charley Supporting Member

I like my Blonde best at the end of the signal chain. The only pedal that I have found pleasing after the Blonde is a Strymon Deco.....since I sometimes use the Blonde as a DI to my Yamaha DXR12, the Deco adds in a bit of saturation and warmth missing from FRFR speakers when using them with a guitar.

The Blonde is a GREAT pedal!

12. phillybri

This is great advice. Thanks everybody!

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Great pedal but I don't know if I'd go fumbling into a real gig with it 1st day without having some time to learn the settings and probably adjusting of EQ 's that it going to take. Unless you still have real amp there as a backup plan.

14. minty901

minty901 Member

The Blonde is extremely heavy on the bass BTW. You need to turn the bass down or the treble up quite a lot for it to even out nicely.

15. phillybri

Tonight is just practice. I'm not a lunatic!

16. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Not necessarily. You can put effects after it. I run my Leeds in the same spot I would an amp. Wah - Comp - OD in; Chorus - Delay - Reverb after

17. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

In general we recommend that time based effects like delay and reverb to be run after the Character series pedals. One thing to consider when going direct to the board is if the last effect in line has a good buffer. Not all buffers are created equal and that can be detrimental when running direct. You can run time domain effects before the Character series pedals if you are using them set relatively clean. As long as your happy with the sound that's all that matters.

18. minty901

minty901 Member

tech21nyc, do you have any thoughts about the effect that a cab might have on the sound signature of time-based effects? Because of course running them after a Character pedal is not analogous to running them in an amp's effects loop -- it's analogous to running them after the cab has been mic'd. So my reverbs aren't being filtered by the presence of a cab, they're acting on the already cab-filtered guitar sound. I guess this has little to do with the Character pedals and more to do with how the individual effects are actually programmed to work. I just wonder if adding an effect to a filtered signal will be as good as adding a filter to a signal affected by reverbs. For instance my TC Alter Ego delay has a lot of saturation on some settings. Having this AFTER a cab sim is terrible because there's nothing to filter out the upp harmonics from the distorted/saturated delay. This isn't so much a question as it is just wondering what your thoughts might be on this.

19. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

The only thing I can really say is just try it. I run our pedals both ways and eitehr works for me. In general EFX loops on most amps are a tonal compromise not a benefit. Most of the historic guitar sounds over the years, Hendrix, Clapton, EVH had the time domain effects added post mic. You will never be able to get the Flange sound of some of the Hendrix recordings with a pedal. It was done with the tape machine post mic. Delays that seem too bright are usually just giving you a mirror image of the input. A classic digital delay. We tend to prefer analog or darker delays when going into the front end of an amp because bright sounding repeats tend to clang a bit. It's your amp's preamp section that causes this. When running into the efx loop of an amp you usually don't get this as much unless you're running the amp so loud that the output stage is distorting.

EFX loops are fine on amps that achieve their distortion in the preamp section or with products like ours or modelers. Coming from an old school studio background I always add delays and reverbs after the fact in post. Every now and then I will maybe record with a tap tempo delay into the amp for a U2 sort of thing but in general it's always at mixdown. If I'm going old school I'll run pedals into the front of amps with no loop as long as the amp is not totally gained out. That's for live use though.

20. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Supporting Member

As you say - do what you like. What works well for you.
    I have always recorded with the effects 99% of the time (For me that is. Others? Different story). Just Do NOT wanna spend endless hours going back in Tweaking Guitar.