Tech 21 Boost RVB vs. EHX Holy Grail Plus

I *think* I've narrowed down my reverb pedal search to two offerings:

The Tech 21 Boost RVB...

...and the EHX Holy Grail Plus

I recently started a thread asking which pedals do a good approximation of the reverb tank in an Ampeg VT-22 or V4 amp. So my ear, this is the most haunting reverb tone out there. The consensus opinion is that nothing comes close, but a fair number of people recommended the Tech 21 RVB.

The Tech 21 Boost RVB looks great on paper, but I'm wondering if it has too many options. Apparently a lot of the knobs are highly interactive, and you pretty much need a cheat sheet to easily switch between different "presets" (like spring, room, hall).

The EHX is much simpler, but it seems to suffer from a volume drop (a problem the Tech 21 RVB doesn't have). Also, the "Flerb" present is pretty much worthless to me.

I'm leaning in the direction of the Tech 21 RVB but thought I'd ask the experts here anyway.

thedroid

I love the Boost RVB -- actually prefer it to the reverb on my Swart AST. I like tuning the pedal by ear as opposed to switching between presets. Haven't used the EHX.

I have a normal holy grail, and was looking at the boost rvb in hopes to cut down on my noise. I played the boost rvb and did not feel there was much of a noise improvement, nor a tone improvement. Just a lot more options... Maybe I am just not picky.

I have a normal holy grail, and was looking at the boost rvb in hopes to cut down on my noise. I played the boost rvb and did not feel there was much of a noise improvement, nor a tone improvement. Just a lot more options... Maybe I am just not picky.
Did you play the RVB through your own rig, or just at the shop? If the latter, did you get to use something close to your own rig or did they have some crap-o-la solid state practice amp with a a $200 guitar (like they usually do)?

Did you play the RVB through your own rig, or just at the shop? If the latter, did you get to use something close to your own rig or did they have some crap-o-la solid state practice amp with a a $200 guitar (like they usually do)?
I was playing an LP special through an orange ad30, my normal rig is an ac30 with an elitist sheraton, so at least in the same neck of the woods. I had the boost rvb on a battery too. I was very interested in getting one, though now I sort of feel I am making up excuses to buy something I do not really need. Though if I had no reverb pedal I would probably lean towards the tech 21, as it has more options sound wise.

redpill

I don't hear any noise at all with the Boost RVB in my setup. I was able to confirm the conventional wisdom that the EH reverbs seem to add noise, but I didn't have that problem with the Tech 21.

As far as usability goes, that's purely a matter of preference. I have never been a "preset" guy for pretty much anything that I do. I'd rather just dial in a sound that I like than have a sound that a manufacturer says is a "hall" or "plate" sound. Others disagree completely, and with legitimate reasons. Just pick what suits you.

Phlussy

i want to resurrect this discussion since i am in the exact same place, choosing between the same 2 pedals!

anyone else want to weigh in on this? is there a volume drop with the holy grail + ? is there any tone suck with these pedals? help!

thedroid

The boost RVB doesn't suck tone. And the boost compensates for perceived volume drop when you use a heavy reverb setting.

Ultimately, I ended up buying a used BOSS RV-3 for $100. I decided that I'd rather get a combination Reverb/Digital Delay pedal so I can chain my analog DMM into a digital delay. I'll also get some reverb to play with.

I don't have any expectations that I'm going to be blown away by the reverb on the RV-3, but then my gold standard for comparison is the reverb tank on an Ampeg VT-22 or Ampeg V-4. And there's NO PEDAL ON EARTH that can compare to that haunting reverb.

In time, I'm sure I'll end up with a Tech 21 Boost RVB, but in the meantime I get 2 pedals for the price of 1 and I'm stoked that I'll be able to do some delay chaining, too!

Trending Topics