Tech 21 British: Mighty impressed.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Daka3, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Just got my Tech 21 British. Have been recording with it, inserting it between my guitar and my Jamup app on my iPad. Even using this less-than-optimal setup, and even using earphones, the British really impresses me.

Both on clean and more dirty Jamup amps, it sounds really good, adding more depth, life and indeed crunch to the sounds. Thursday, it goes with me to a studio session, and tomorrow, I'm testing it in my live rig. I'm thinking it maybe even works as a dirtbox in front of my dirty amp, or maybe a semi-cleanish boost/tone shaper in the loop. We'll see.

Stay tuned for my impressions, but so far, so freaking good! It delivers the goods. Very impressive and usefull tool.

2. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Put the British in front of my large live-rig, adding it to my board in place of a Silver Pony. It worked! Going into the front of a Laney GH50 top feeding a Marshall 4/12, the British sounded tight, warm and sparkly.

The amp already gives up some crunch, but the pedal added well to this and blended in really musically. I used it for more saturated rhythm parts and solos. I am pleasantly surprised. Speaker sim off. I now have a killer dirtbox on my board plus a backup for my amp, if disaster strikes on the gig. Just need to add a nice direct box at the end of my signal chain.

Conclusion? The British can work brilliantly in front of a dirty amp.

MetalGuitard and killerburst like this.
  3. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

I've posted this elsewhere, but my old band recorded a demo with the guitar player using the British exclusively on every track, direct into the desk, and it sounded phenomenal. He used a Marshall for rehearsal and gigs, and the recorded tone sounds better than the Marshall ever did.

MetalGuitard likes this.
  4. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I'm not surprised. I have a Tech21 Leeds and I love it. But even the older Sansamp stuff was pretty slick. A friend of mine is a producer and I was at his studio listening to some tracks he's produced for a friend's bands. This is probably 10 years ago. I asked which of the many vintage amps in the room were used on the tracks because the guitars sounded great. He pointed to an old Sansamp tri-ac in the corner. Wow.

Peace,

5. Daka3

Daka3 Member

I trust you. Furthermore, I want to debunk the myth that this box does not shine as a dirtbox in front of the amp, because it absolutely and fully does. My lead and saturated rhythm tones shine and kick butt.

My hat is off to Tech 21.

6. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I've never used my Leeds or GT2 that way, but I'm not surprised it works. Use what sounds good, right!

Peace,

7. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

It really does work well this way. Normally I use my Kemper with a powered speaker live, but if I have to fly, I take the British and play it into the clean channel of whatever amp they give me. Obviously it's not quite the same, but I really have no problem doing it. It seems that a lot of people don't want to tweak the settings to make it work in front of an amp (extreme eq settings). There was such a huge demand for the speaker sim on/off switch, even though the Tech 21 rep here said it was just a high cut. Just fiddle with the knobs for a minute until it sounds good.

8. Daka3

Daka3 Member

The real shocker for me was putting it in front of a dirty amp. That surprised me, because that sounds awesome in my rig.

9. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

Big Tech 21 fan. Always great sounding. I've had a couple of Blondes and still have some other stuff. I just got a FlyRig 5. It's amazing. Very much a Blonde in the cleans and their PlexiDrive channel sounds right and has great dynamics and touch sensitivity. The revert and DLA circuits sound fantastic. Tiny, inexpensive, built well.

10. StormJH1

StormJH1 Member

Yeah, agree! The coolest thing about their pedals is that you can plug them into a power amp input, powered monitor, or even a bad combo amp that would otherwise be garbage, and it suddenly sounds in the ballpark of a decent tube amp. No, it doesn't sound "just like it", but it would sound a heck of a lot better than that equipment has any right to.

There is a Tri-AC for sale near me - they want about $100 for it. I plugged it into the FX return of a TM60 (so, basically just a 1x12" solid state Celestion) and couldn't believe how good it sounded. I still want one - I tried a few low-ball offers on eBay but lost out. I'm basically looking for a small cheap combo of some kind with an FX loop to use for no other purpose but to run Tech21 stuff into.

11. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I hear ya'. I have a GT2 that I use at home time and is in my gig bag for all gigs. Direct, it sounds just fine and takes pedals well. At the house, my son (also a musician) uses it a ton and loves it.

I've been gigging a ton with my Leeds into my PE-60 for the better part of a year. It sounds great.

Peace,

12. wwit

wwit Member

I wonder if I got a bad one. I had a T21 British for a couple days. Bought brand new. I had to send it back and shied away from getting a replacement at that time. It was all hiss and noise. I have a perfectly good PE60 and have other pedals that work fine with it. But that Brit pedal was just awful....for me anyway. All I ever read are glowing reviews on them. No one around me stocks any gear, so auditioning potential new stuff locally is out of the question for the most part.

I have listened to dozens of high quality YouTube vids on the T21 pedals and have been impressed by all. My British In A Box pedal needs have been fulfilled with a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, but maybe time to try Tech21 again.

13. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Drop a Klon (or Clone) in front and watch what happens. (BOOM)

14. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Boom indeed.

15. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Update: Took the Brit to a studio session, where the resident amp was beyond decrepit.
    It was an older Vox, and I couldn't decipher which model, but it was quite the wreck, and it had one sound in it. It sounded about as wrecked as the amp looked. I had my small board with me, sporting the British, a BYOC Silver Pony (that I fried on 18v like an idiot, but that's another story), a TC Shaker Vibrato and a Carbon Copy.

The Brit stayed on for the duration. The session was three glamrock-style tracks, and the tone just worked. I just went to that crummy Vox with my board in front, using my SG Special. I could've sworn we'd be in trouble when I heard that amp, but I went back inside the control room, adjusted the Brit by my ear to deliver a better crunch on top of the amp's tone, and off we went.

They were very pleased with the results - and I was, too. I'm glad I went with my gut feeling and got the British, even tough I have so many other dirtboxes. This covers more bases that I expected. In the mix, it barks with warm, sparkly crunch. Can't link to the mixes because of copyright issues, but I like, what I'm hearing.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015