Tech 21 Deuce Deluxe - FRFR / Guitar Cab

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Electric I, Jan 11, 2019.

1. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

@JoeInOttawa Interesting. I think you would like the PEDD.

Ah, ok. I guess I forgot about all of those modes. They are digital filters while the PEDD filters are all analog.

I'm not exactly unbiased, though. I returned my PC+ pretty soon after buying it. My PEDD is staying long-term.

Dan Desy and JiveTurkey like this.
  2. blandified

blandified Member

Just as FYI and for what it's worth:

Disabling the cab sim on the kemper sounds pretty bad when playing through the PE DD. I definitely would recommend keeping it on. Maybe with other modelling gear, this may not hold true. But RIGHT away you will be able to determine that you will want to keep the cab sim ON with the kemper and PE DD.

This makes sense because the PE DD is marketed as a FRFR-style cab, so keeping the cab sim on makes sense (and sounds way better with kemper).

To describe what the kemper and PE DD sound like with cab sim off... it almost sounded like a sterile guitar coming through a PA. Turned the cab sim back on...sounded like a normal guitar cab.

YMMV and IMHO

JiveTurkey likes this.
  3. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

I know, but it makes your post even better, because you didn’t diss the power cab.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Madmax25 likes this.
  4. slugworth

There are good things about both units, for sure. When I had the PowerCab, I knew it wasn't what I was looking for, even though it hits the spot for plenty of guys. But I've been waiting for years for something like the PEDD. It is replacing 3 things for me (DXR10, bass combo, and Atomic 112-50... the Atomic is still for sale if anyone is interested).

5. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

Just bought one from SW, it will be in next Tuesday. Plan to use it with my AA6, Kemper, GT-1B, even my 11R, and maybe my Rocktron Piranha through an EpSi IR loader. Can't beat the price for what you get. "Full report at the 11:00 news"

Dead-Pan and slugworth like this.
  6. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Waiting. I've made some popcorn.

Madmax25 and madmarcus1960 like this.
  7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Funny you guys mentioned open vs. closed back "vibe". I actually did fairly in depth testing of the PEDD, including playing loud guitar sitting behind it - I think I was still setting up gear - and it definitely sounded good and "open". I think you will dig it.

slugworth likes this.
  8. madmarcus1960

I owned a Trademark 60 212 and the 300W head, I always liked their stuff. It lasts. I actually ran my AA6 through the fx return of my Genz Benz Shuttle 6 with the tweeter on 75%. It sounded really good but I did not permanently hijack it for that purpose. This PEDD should sound as good or better.

9. slugworth

Did you ever get your CLR?

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Lasted about 30 minutes... I'm just not feeling FRFR enough right now to go all-in ~$900+ as that being the solution. My ****** Alto TS110a is close enough in my situation and enough of an investment in FRFR. Which is also making me question the validity of super expensive modeling as well.

madmarcus1960, Baba and JiveTurkey like this.
  11. blandified

blandified Member

I was able to play with the Deuce Deluxe a lot more this weekend. I have come to the conclusion that I am ready to sell my analog pedals and tube amps. Kemper + Deuce Deluxe is my endgame right now, definitely what I was looking for. Up until this point, I kept my pedals and amps "just in case," but now I feel comfortable selling them!

12. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

This makes me even more excited that the local shop was finally willing to bring one in for me. Feeling, dare I say, optimistic!

JiveTurkey likes this.
  13. blandified

blandified Member

Interested in hearing your thoughts!

14. makecamera

makecamera Member

I ordered one this past weekend. I'll be using it at home with my Axe-Fx II XL. This will be my first "FRFR" solution aside from studio monitors (which I hate using for live playing at home). Really glad someone came out with something that is designed with both guitar and bass in mind. Also happy to see the positive reports by other users.

slugworth likes this.
  15. madmarcus1960

This thing is LOUD! and a small footprint. As small as any 1x12 cab I've owned. I have an AA6 with the levels a 0dB coming out of the XLR in mono.I'm using Atomic's Jace N's presets and the volume in my studio can't go past 1/2 on the PEDD and it borders on painful(YMMV.
    Playing around with the tweeter on/off and the HFP/LFP's to find my sweet spot. For now the tweeter stays off using the IRs on the AA6.

What amazes me most is how tiny this thing is compared to the Freidman ASM12s I own.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 7:44 PM
    Madmax25, slugworth, Dead-Pan and 3 others like this.
  16. madmarcus1960

Played my Yamaha Attitude bass w/Dimarzio P and J pups through it using the AA6 SV Tee preset and it's usable flat, w/tweaking it could be a dual threat. Gotta try the GT-1B through it and ultimately the KPA.
    I really see getting a second one. It's smaller than the Seismic Audio 1 x 12 cab I own.

Ultimately, thoughts are flying around in my head about swapping the speaker for a Celestion FX-200 "unicorn" speaker.:dunno I wonder if it would even make a difference.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 3:44 PM
    Madmax25, slugworth and JoeInOttawa like this.
  17. micycle

micycle Member

My Katana 2x12 went bye-bye to a Craigslist buyer this weekend because of the PEDD... I liked the sound of its output into the PEDD better than the Katana cab itself, and being that I keep my gear in our already small bedroom the smaller cabinet size is quite welcome. I still love the Katana so will probably be picking up a used head at some point, but am more than happy with the modeling options I've currently got.

slugworth likes this.
  18. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

I've thought the same thing, but it could be tricky to execute, because (I believe) the PEDD has a passive crossover in the amp unit that sends out a signal to the woofer and the tweeter through separate wires, but the Celestion F12-X200U ("U" for "Unicorn") only wants a full-range input.

Madmax25 likes this.
  19. madmarcus1960

20. madmarcus1960

The GT-1B sounds pretty good through it as well. Just need to move the rear firing ports away from my baseboard heat. Rattles the crap out of them.:p

Next up 11R with and w/o my EpSi in the loop. Very poor mans Headrush!