• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tech 21 Fly Rig 5?

beanoboy

After reading glowing reviews of the Tech 21 Fly Rig, I'm wondering if it might be a good backup for my Kemper. I know it's not going to be in the same league but it could go into my powered monitor or into a PA in case I ever had a problem with the Kemper at a gig or jam. Anybody own/try one of these?

mvanslooten

There are a couple of threads about it in the Digital & Modeling section:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1483109
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1436983

I own one and I love it. It sounds good, is very versatile (the knobs have a huge range), and is extremely small. My favorite feature may be that it cleans up really well with the guitar volume knob or lighter picking. Cons? It's a bit on the noisy side, especially with more gain. The gain itself is kinda "dirty" sounding but I like it.

beanoboy

There are a couple of threads about it in the Digital & Modeling section:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1483109
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1436983

I own one and I love it. It sounds good, is very versatile (the knobs have a huge range), and is extremely small. My favorite feature may be that it cleans up really well with the guitar volume knob or lighter picking. Cons? It's a bit on the noisy side, especially with more gain. The gain itself is kinda "dirty" sounding but I like it.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on running a Fly Rig directly into my Mackie thump, no mixer. With my Kemper, I dial most of the low end down on the Mackie. A lot of the reviewers felt the Plexi pedal was "flabby" or "farty". From some of the reviews, maybe the Kotzen Fly Rig's OMG will be tighter?

chrisjw5

I have one that I use as a backup to my pedalboard (which runs straight in to my Tech 21 Power Engine 60, using a Tech 21 Character Leeds as the 'amp').

I don't find the Plexi farty at all. I find it.... Plexi-like. The controls on the FR5 are very sensitive, meaning you get a lot of sweep and small changes yield big results. I know everyone has a different definition of a good tone, but unless you're playing metal, the FR5 can do almost anything.

geekocaster

I got one incoming. I'm probably going to sell my pod hd300 and 500x which are my backup units. The tech21 unit seems like a great deal and it's so compact.

mvanslooten

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on running a Fly Rig directly into my Mackie thump, no mixer.

I've only used it into guitar amps so I'm not sure how well that would work. I guess if it works with a Kemper it should work with a FR.

A lot of the reviewers felt the Plexi pedal was "flabby" or "farty". From some of the reviews, maybe the Kotzen Fly Rig's OMG will be tighter?

In my experience, if you play tight, the FR will sound tight.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
still temped to get on for my church gig where I have to play direct. Clip on tuner and this thing in the guitar case=done

Aslan

I've used a Fly Rig 5 both direct to the PA and into a Power Engine 60 and the results are pretty impressive, in fact the crowd would never know that your not really using a regular tube amp. Does it "feel" just like a tube amp? Probably not, but the sound going out the front PA speakers is really all that matter to the perople who are listening.

geekocaster

still temped to get on for my church gig where I have to play direct. Clip on tuner and this thing in the guitar case=done

this is why I bought mine.

But. I just returned it. Not what I was hoping for.

Last edited:

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
The Flyrig is worth it just for the sansamp. A very nice clean. The Plexi is noisy, like a Plexi. I like more of a MKII, 2204, JCM 800 tone.

I may be wrong/nuts, but I have always equated the Plexi to the Deluxe Reverb. I just happen to like the 40-60 watt designs more.

killerburst

killerburstguitars.com
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the kind words. I just got another shipment in case anybody else wants one.

kselbee

I've considered one as a backup. I've got a Electro Harmonix 44 Magnun power amp pedal and if my amp died at a gig I could plug the FR5 into the EH into my cab and I'd be set. Anyone try a similar setup?

chrisjw5

I've used a Fly Rig 5 both direct to the PA and into a Power Engine 60 and the results are pretty impressive, in fact the crowd would never know that your not really using a regular tube amp. Does it "feel" just like a tube amp? Probably not, but the sound going out the front PA speakers is really all that matter to the perople who are listening.

Exactly the same for me.

I send it to my PE60 and XLR to the mixer. I preferably use the PE60 as a reference monitor so I can hear myself as loud as I want to.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom