Tech 21 Liverpool advice

dwolfggc

I'm experimenting with using a Liverpool character pedal direct into FOH. I really like the way it sounds on everything but medium/high gain sounds.

My question is would there be an appreciable difference between a Marshall type OD pedal into a Liverpool and the British character pedal. In other words would I be better off just getting a different character series pedal for my higher gain sounds or would it sound pretty much the same as higher gain pedal run into a Liverpool set up pretty clean?

Thanks!

southpaw pete

Good question. I haven't tried the Sansamp British, but I love the Liverpool. I run mine "cleanish" and get some good grit with my OCD v4 - don't know how it compares with the British drive settings, but the Liverpool seems to take Marshall type ods quite nicely.

dwolfggc

What im hearing that i don't like is a kind of fizzy high end on higher gain sounds. Although the couple of times that i've played an AC-30 (new production) they had a bit of a fizzy high end when you turned the gain up as well. So maybe what i'm hearing is just an accurate representation of an AC-30.

Anybody else compare the liverpool and the british?

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard that using a Timmy or Tim pedal as well as a Hotcake pedal work great w/ the Liverpool. It just gives you more drive of what you already have.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I like to set my Liverpool for low-medium gain and hit it with something transparent, pretty much along the same lines as the Timmy/Tim rec. I've had very good results with either a Jetter (Helium, Tritium or blue channel of Jetdrive all work well) set to low gain or a Durham Sex Drive.

That being said, I can hit my Blonde with the Helium or blue channel of the Jetdrive and get something VERY similar sounding to the Liverpool. So in the end, I've trimmed my board down to just the Blonde and my Liverpool is sitting in the Emporium.

old crow

I've had good sucess using a Hotcake in front of a L.Pool....also other od pedals and fuzz have worked well w/ it.

tjmicsak

When I've played Voxes and gained them up I always found the amps do actually have that Brittish "sizzle" to them you get from a Marshall through a vintage 4 x 12 cab as well. I always attributed it to the EL ** tubes.
So the Liverpool should have some "sizzle" to the OD.
If I were in your shoes I would try hitting the front end with a Crowther Hotcake. Chances are the Liverpool shoud respond just like an AC30 would.

Old Crow beat me to it...

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
I actually have been using a Liverpool with a few dirt boxes stacked into it for my live rig over the last year. They can sound REALLY good. I'm using a Fulldrive II, Kalamazoo and BYOC Shredder with great success for my crunch and lead tones. For a while I was using a 2nd Liverpool with the drive turned up more for my crunch tones but I didn't think the 2 Liverpool's stacked particularly well together and having to turn one pedal off and the other on proved burdensome. Great pedal however!

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member
I'm on the Tim waiting list. Maybe that will solve my dilema:aok

I have tried almost EVERY overdrive in front of a Liverpool except a Tim and a Hotcake. My Tim gets finished in May... :) Lovepedal Fuse is the best I've tried to date but still looking. Hopeful on the Tim. :)

dwolfggc

Well, I had band practice tonight and I was able to dial in a sound in the context of a full band and I'm pretty happy with what I got. I think the mistake I was making was not adding enough bass, both on the distortion and on the Liverpool. Once I tweaked the EQs in that direction it really started to come together. so if you're looking for a "Marshall" style OD for your Liverpool definitely look for pedals that are more bass-y or can get more bass-y, i.e. OCD, Box of Rock/Distortron, or Tim/Timmy because of the separate bass control.

I'm using an M13 for my high gain sounds (I normally use a channel switching amp) and I had good luck with the "Classic Distortion" model (Rat) for a more aggressive cutting tone and the "Tube Drive" model (Chandler Tube Driver) for a more smooth warm sound.

thanks for all your help!

JB Eckl

Silver Supporting Member
2 or 3 character pedals with a switcher would be kinda cool... some kind of A/B/C box....?

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member
Love the Liverpool. I wonder if the cab sim defeat is worth the upgrade.

champion ruby

I use a leeds direct for practice at home. With all the character series pedals I have found it's best to run the level knob in the 9:00-12:00 range but after that it can get a little fizzy. The active eq is also a strange thing to get used to and I find it sounds a lot better when all knobs are past noon and if the cab sim is on then you need to dial in a little more bass. I run a clean boost after mine which also takes care of any thin fizzy business.

Dave

Anybody else compare the liverpool and the british?
I have both. You can boost either of them with another pedal as long as they're set clean or semi crunchy. If the drive is set too high and you boost them they just compress too much. The Liverpool compresses a lot more than the British. This may be why the cleans are so nice on the Liverpool. I don't think you can make the Liverpool sound like the British. They're both great for different reasons.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom