Tech 21 Power Engine 60 speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kyle Ashley, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I've got a PE60 coming in and I know I'm going to want a speaker upgrade for it. I've always been an EVM12L guy and have them in all my cabs, but they won't fit into a PE60 without carving a slot in the amp chassis.

Besides the Weber Michigans, any suggestions for loud, clean, and efficient hi-power speaker replacements?

Not much of a fan of Celestions, but I have no experience with Eminence, Scumback, etc....just looking at options that may keep me from modifying the chassis at this point.

2. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Eminence Lil' Texas or Tonkerlite?

3. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

4. Kyle Ashley

I think it's going to be either a Scholz or an EVM.

5. Kyle Ashley

Couldn't take delivery of a Scholz soon enough, so I put in an EVM12L. I had to dremel a notch in the metal chassis to fit around the EVM, but it all worked out rather well.

Only problem is that the speaker is just overwhelming the box. Once you turn it up loud, the vibration is so intense the whole system is just rattling and popping. These PE60s are pretty neat for what they do, but are just not constructed for real volume. I really got the impression that if I played long enough, the whole cabinet would splinter into pieces and explode like something out of an 80s rock video.

I ran the PE60 speaker leads to a Bogner/EVM12 cube, and it sounds really good so I'll probably pull the chassis and build a small headbox around it and go with that for now. The search for a great sounding, affordable 112 combo continues......