Tech 21 series vs digital modelers: anyone compare? Clips?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by lowpaygigs, Apr 20, 2016.

1. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

hi folks, I have been doing some shoot outs at home among the tech 21 brit and svt vs bias fx, revalver and ampire. With the latter, I have more variety. However, the tech 21 sounds rounder, less under a blanket. Ok, compared to a tube amp, both come up short. Anyhow, curious about any comparisons between tech 21 and say helix?

+NRG likes this.
  2. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Member

I have several Tech 21 pedals including the Brit, Leeds, Sansamp G2, Trademark 10, as well as a Helix, KPA, Amplifire and Ax8. I love the Tech21 products. To say one is better than the other is just personal opinion. In fact, if you can't get good tones out of anything on the market right now, it ain't the gear's fault. Each has it quirks, pluses and minuses, but all have great tone that can be tweaked sufficiently to do the job.

The answer to which one to buy? Well, obviously ALL OF THEM.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I tend to agree. There is a lot of great gear out there right now and pretty much all of it that I've played through or heard is fully capable of good tones. Though I understand we will each have our preferences.

I have the Tech 21 Leeds and I think it sounds very good. I've never A/B'd it with other gear, but I've gigged with it a lot. Nice piece of kit.

Peace,

+NRG and lowpaygigs like this.
  4. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Thank you, sir. I sure hope I did not give the impression that bias or revalver is not good or useful. I just happened to find the tech 21 stuff a little more rounder, so to speak.

5. therealmf

therealmf Member

I own and play the Tech21 Blonde frequently. It's the best small pedal for a Fender amp sound, imho. This goes for Blackface tones as well as for Brownface (something very few pedals can do) and Tweed stuff. However, the AmpliFire ist simply a different league. It isn't a fair comparison, but the AF excels in roundness, dynamics, "threedimensionality" and feel. I will keep the Blonde, both as a super-small travelling solution as well as a backup. I always carry it around with me in case an amp/modeler lets me down.

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  6. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Do you think using a tech 21 brit with some tasteful FX and good monitoring would be passable at a gig? Would I need something like EHX 44 power amp?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  7. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Have you used the blonde in conjunction with a nice reverb or delay to add depth? if so, what were the results vis-a-vis amplifire?

8. +NRG

+NRG Member

Good topic! I'm interested in a Tech 21 Character Series pedal for direct recording (and DI to PA with my pedalboard) I'm specifically interested in the Leeds... I've searched Google / YouTube, etc... Not much out there of good quality. Does anyone have any direct clips to share of any of the Tech 21 Character pedals? Thanks!

9. +NRG

+NRG Member

Also interested in the VT Bass!

10. Jim234

Jim234 Member

Lowpaypigs - You are describing my back up rig perfectly. Tuner --> Stomps --> Mods --> Delay --> Tech 21 Blonde --> EHX44 --> Cab

This will get me through the gig if the head fails. The blonde seems to react favorably to the stomps and as mentioned above does the fender thing on its own quite well. The EHX44 is OK but a bit noisy with my rig.

11. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Jim, does the ehx go straight into the cab? Issue of ohms?

12. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

I had the British (sold it) and have the Amplifire. The British was absolutely awesome for the money; whether direct or through a traditional amp. LOVED it. Only problem was it had one setting at a time versus presets. If you wanted different tones; you had to use pedals or redial the pedal itself. Which is obviously not a viable solution on the live front.

While the Tech 21 is great, superb for the money; the Amplifire kills it. As it should at the price point.

Not sure if you using stock Amplifire presets or what; but MBritts, Singtalls and Fremen's marshall styled presets are excellent. Especially compared to stock presets. If I had to dial a stock Marshall preset (as a first timer) on the Amplifire from scratch versus twisting a few knobs on the British; it might be a closer race, if factoring price and avoiding the one trick pony at-a-time element.

13. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

We always tell people that if you want to do an "accurate" comparison of an emulated amp, to a real mic'd amp or a modeler you need to switch the effects "off" and use the same speaker system. Even a real amp that has been recorded with a close mic'd SM57 will sound flat next to a modeled sound with reverb, delay etc added. One is a "produced" sound and one is the actual sound.

Now if you're buying decision includes presets and multiple effects that's cool but to say that a given product "sounds" better because it offers a bunch of effects next to a product that doesn't is not exactly a valid comparison. It would be like comparing a Fractal Axe FX to an AC30.

14. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

I agree with all you are saying. I am very impressed by sansamp/tech21 pedals. I've used them for a long time. I happen to think they are among the best modelers out there at present. They feel warmer than anything digital I've plugged into.

15. +NRG

+NRG Member

I'm a big Tech 21 fan and have owned a number of your products. I'm very interested in your character series pedals for direct use... I wish you had more / updated sample clips on your site of the different pedals, used direct, with various settings, both dry and with effects added for a more polished view.

MrLahey and JiveTurkey like this.
  16. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

That British pedal, with a volume pedal in front to clean up things a bit, and some delay/verb afterwards is absolutely amazing bang for the buck. I ran that rig direct a number of times and was never disappointed.

lowpaygigs and +NRG like this.
  17. sbrett

sbrett Member

I just ordered a Kemper but I have to say the Fly Rig 5 saved my butt Saturday night when I had a preamp tube fail right before we went on. Ran it direct to the mixer and held it's ground extremely well. FR5 is not going anywhere. Thank you Tech 21!

+NRG and lowpaygigs like this.
  18. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

There are a number of videos out there that demonstrate our products, Brett has done a few.

Personally I usually use either our Liverpool or Leeds pedal with my pedal board rig when doing direct gigs but...I normally run the pedal board through our Power Engine and take the XLR out to the board. This way I have the sound and "feel" of the amp in the room but can get more coverage from the PA rather than playing at a loud volume on stage. I just prefer playing through an amp vs a PA with an amp sound.

+NRG likes this.
  19. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

I used the PSA 1.1 for awhile. It was a great unit. Had presets and a great/full sounding clean tone. The crunch wasn't bad either, and it took pedals well.

20. +NRG

+NRG Member

Yes, Brett always does good demos! I think I've seen most of the Tech 21 demos... Just looking for more demos / better quality and some clips from the talented TGP users.